An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Feeling bloated

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rosyrain, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Do you ever feel bloated the day after you have had alcohol to drink? I am not sure if alcohol makes you retain water, but sometimes I feel bloated and gross if I had a couple of drinks the night before.
  2. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

Hi Rosyrain,
    In my experience, drinking alcohol does make me feel bloated. I'm not familiar with your drinking habits/patterns. Usually, if somebody is an occasional drinker, beer bloat is common the next day. I was a chronic long term alcoholic who drank at least a fifth of vodka a day, so My face and stomach were bloated. It's my understanding that because alcohol is a diuretic, over the long haul one's body begins reserving fluids because it's in a constant state of dehydration.
    Obviously, other people's bodies are more or less prone to this reaction. I am currently in the process of rehydrating my body after years of abuse. If that isn't your case however, maybe just try to drink a little extra
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

@Wordsmith75 I'm pretty sure that you are right - the body does reserve fluids when in danger of dehydration. That's why they say to drink some water in between alcoholic beverages. Some people just experience this with beer whilst others will get it with any type of alcohol.
  4. Rosyrain

I am a 1 to 2 day a week drinker and it is mostly wine. My guess is that the wine dehydrated my body and this leads to the feeling of being bloated. I also drink a lot of coffee and I am sure this does not help out at all. I guess I have to concentrate on drinking more water, especially if I know I am going to have wine that night.
  5. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

Hi Rosyrain,
    In my experience, drinking alcohol does make me feel bloated. I'm not familiar with your drinking habits/patterns. Usually, if somebody is an occasional drinker, beer bloat is common the next day. I was a chronic long term alcoholic who drank at least a fifth of vodka a day, so My face and stomach were bloated. It's my understanding that because alcohol is a diuretic, over the long haul one's body begins reserving fluids because it's in a constant state of dehydration.
    Obviously, other people's bodies are more or less prone to this reaction. I am currently in the process of rehydrating my body after years of abuse. If that isn't your case however, maybe just try to drink a little extra
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have had that happen a few times and also it can be something that can cause a person to feel like the stomach is going bigger, like the person is obese when they are not which is surprising. I think the liquid in the alcohol can affect the person and also need to watch the amounts, as it can cause the health of the person to suffer and also have problems later on in their life. I reckon for everyone it is different and also it is amazing how the body reacts and also it can be surprising to see what can happen to the body, when too much fluid is entered into the body involving alcohol.
  7. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Yes, I definitely get the next day "bloat", but it seems to go away rather quickly throughout the course of the day as I use the bathroom several times. Wordsmith's explanation sounds about right and feasible. I had also maybe wondered if it had something to do with all the impurities in booze possibly causing inflammation as your body is trying to get it all out of your system.

The weird thing is though, the day after that, it's usually the other way around - clothes fit a little looser and my stomach is empty. It's usually because I'm so nauseous the following day I have no appetite, and if I'm not working, I will often sleep through the whole day and not eat anything, so it's as if I am fasting.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

If I drink enough then ya. The thing is alcohol is loaded with calories. I'm sure if you drank the same amount of calories through another form that you'd have the same issues.
  9. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I absolutely do! I also tend to eat foods that are not good for me (such as friend foods or those very high in salt) which makes it even worse. Thinking about negative effects like bloating is a helpful motivator for me as I've cut down significantly on my alcohol intake. Its only been just over two weeks but I'm already feeling better for it!
  10. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Yes, alcohol is quite a heavy drink and does make you bloated, that is an undeniable fact. I know having one can of beer could basically make you so bloated and unable to even eat, it's dangerous though.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I actually feel lighter, but I guess that also depends on one's metabolism and what they ate the night before. I never felt bloated after drinking, but all my muscles feel limp and funny, I am so powerless after drinking. The lack of appetite is also there.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

I never feel bloated when I drink unless I'm drinking beer. Beer has always made me feel that way, that's why I'm not a beer drinker. I don't know about wine, but i guess that anything you have to drink a lot of to get drunk has the potential to make you feel bloated.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I sometimes felt bloated when I used drink really hard and especially beer, but when I drank something like Whisky or Vodka I didn't have those problems. It's more because of the acid that's in the beverages rather than quantity.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Alcohol dehydrates the body, that's why the body tries to hold more water and it becomes bloated. That's also why people get hungover. It's the body's way of telling you that your body has been dried out.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I have heard of people getting beer bellies. I don't know if beer bellies are the same as being bloated, but they seem very similar. If you feel bloated after drinking maybe you should ask a doctor if that's normal or not, there may be something else going on there. I have had hangovers from drinking nights before, so I know alcohol does have side effects. I hope this helps.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  16. Rosyrain

Hangover headaches are the worst because they are so hard to get rid of and you just feel like crap all day. I too have heard people get beer bellies and I think that is associated with the amount of calories in beer. If you can't burn all those calories they turn into fat.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

i suffer from IBS and colitis, so yes, I ended up feeling like crap the next day most of the times because of that. Yet, that wasn't enough to stop me from drinking. I always knew that if I wanted to drink I had to deal with that uncomfortable bloating :( Sadly I suffer form that daily now, I no longer drink though, but I am still consuming gluten (I was told people like me should avoid gluten, but meh).
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I never feel bloated. Alcohol dehydrates you. If you are getting bloated it could be of health issues. I have a friend that has high blood pressure, and his body will actually stop itself from urinating and then he has to take pills to relieve himself.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Bloated the day after. Doesn't sound very good. Could be some chemicals in that crap causing an inflammation of some sort. I would say that you diet has to do with that too. Many foods cause inflammation of the digestive tract. You throw booze on top of it. Breads and gluten cause inflammations. This is kind of the same as bloated. Retaining water is different. It's like if your digestive tract is inflamed you could feel like you are bloated. Backed up or whatever you want to call it. Sounds like the pipes are clogged or something. Lol
  20. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

From a biological sense, alcohol actually dehydrates you, rather than makes you retain water (which is why it's so dangerous to drink alcohol when you're thirsty or already dehydrated). Generally that bloated feeling comes from your body trying to retain what water you have in you. In order to try overcome this, try drinking a glass or two of water, either between drinks, or in the middle and then at the end of your drinking. It will actually help sober you up and lessen, or completely nullify the effects of a hangover too.