An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Feeling disgusted after a cigarette

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by anorexorcist, Jul 24, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Hi! I want to share this curious experience that happened me yesterday. So I'm trying to quit smoking and I hadn't done it in a week or two I think... But yesterday after therapy I really felt that I needed a cigarette so I bought one, and everything was normal but at the middle of it I felt really disgusted, it was like my body was rejecting the smoke, it felt like the first time I smoked...so I turn the cigarette off immediately. Anyone with similar experiences? Why do you think this is happening?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I hear that that's what happens. I suppose it's really a good thing though; you're better off having half a smoke and getting disgusted than you are having a full smoke.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It's probably because you didn't have this for a long time. It's good you are not wanting it even when you can get it. At this point if you want to quit smoking you can easily. I haven't smoked cig's for years and couldn't stand the taste of them either. The longer you go without them the easier it should be to quit.
  4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

You're kind of exceptional there. I've never seen someone actually feeling any kind of repeling sensation toward cigarettes, to be honest. Well, I know that I haven't, haha. Though trust me, you don't need to necessarily like it in order to smoke. It all comes down to how influencing your entourage is.
    anorexorcist likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think if your actually trying to quit, you'll have been more disgusted at yourself for giving in than at the actual cigarette and smoke itself.

I'm a smoker who's cut down a lot but still hasntbmanaged to quit totally, and I've got to the point now were I actually enjoy a cigarette every now and again, I'm not smoking out of habit, I'm just having one because I want one.
  6. anorexorcist

I know... I think that I was disgusted at myself, because those two weeks were really taught for me to keep, just by giving myself up that way...was mentality aggressive towards myself...so, it makes sense. I'm glad that you don't smoke out of habit anymore!
  7. anorexorcist

I'm glad that you've quit! I know! There are times were I'm fine outside, because sometimes I don't feel that I really need smoke and I feel free an confident! But as everyone I have times of weakness, I need to learn how to keep calm in those times.
  8. anorexorcist

You're right! My boyfriend experienced the same thing and he have completely quit now. And I agree with you, I think it's better half one instead of a full one but still I want to have self control and don't smoke anything anymore, but I guess I'll get there eventually.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It could have been your stomach? If you feel nauseated it could be something you had earlier, I sometimes get a bit nauseated all of a sudden, not sure why. I'd not jump to conclusions if I were you, maybe your stomach was a bit sensitive, but either way I am glad you felt that :) Because you didn't finish it and didn't relapse :D Keep going!
    anorexorcist likes this.
  10. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I've experienced this feeling. After quitting for a while, I experienced buying a cigarette then completely regretting it after a few hits. It didn't last though. I don't know what was happening to my body. But after 2 weeks, I got a craving and smoked a stick and it was amazing. I no longer chain smoke. But that feeling I get after a couple of weeks of not smoking a stick is amazing.
    anorexorcist likes this.
  11. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I never had such a situation, even if I wouldn't smoke for a few weeks I would start again and the addiction would have been ongoing, but everyone's organism is different and reacts differently, but at the end of the day you should be happy that you were disgusted?
  12. anorexorcist

Thank you! But I don't think that it could be my stomach, I didn't had anything weird earlier or stuff like that... And the feeling was specifically related with smoke, but stopped right after I drank some water!
  13. anorexorcist

I am glad that I were disgusted, because that could be an impediment to buy cigarettes in the future...I remember that feeling now and I really don't want to smoke! So that feeling was definitely a good thing, I guess.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Very interesting story. Well an aversion to it is developing. What is super important to realize is what caused you to go for it in the first place. Make a daily journal. Right after therapy. What kind of therapy was that? A shrink, I could understand how that would drive you to want to smoke. Physical therapy doesn't make sense. The point is pay attention to what drives you to it and evaluate if it makes sense to engage in anything that drives you to smoke again.

The feeling of not wanting once you puff like it is the first time. This makes a lot of sense. Physically you are over it. 14 days without is a decent amount of time. Your mind is still susceptible to it. Suggestion or a trigger being or witnessed can cause this. A shrink could certainly trigger a suggestion to make you smoke. You'd want to dissect the session to determine the exact point if possible. Stress or upset can do it, reliving something. Even just a motion or gesture from that person can trigger the desire. The best part is you put it out, that's great.
    anorexorcist likes this.
  15. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

That's good to hear, and I hope that you won't buy any packs of cigarettes in the future. good luck !
  16. anorexorcist

It was psychological therapy, I talked to my therapist about things that I thought that I had already overcome, but when I realize that they are still theremakes me really anxious. But I'm going to try the daily journal thing, it seems to be a good way to realize what specific types of thing are making me so anxious.