An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Feeling Free

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by toppot44, Apr 14, 2016.

1. toppot44

toppot44 Member

I just want to stop through and share with you all how great it feels to be free from alcohol control. I used to drink very heavily and now I have complete control over my urge to drink. It all started with first accepting that I had a problem & a combination of inner processing techniques. I came to grips that drinking wasn't really making me feel good anymore & once I got to a certain degree of intoxication, I was better off being sober to begin with. I also got fed up with the amount of money I was spending and how my abuse made me become stagnant and lackluster. Moderation was my first attempt but due to my high alcohol tolerance, that was just not gonna cut considering the fact I was still spending money. I was never an addict, but I did abuse and drink heavily when i did decide to engage in alcoholism. I now don't drink alone & don't really drink period unless there is an event or occasion. I'm really enjoying looking, feeling, & doing better all-around. The best part is I'm saving more money & have become a lot more productive as an individual. My relationships have also improved drastically. Alcohol is a Spirit which can open you up to become possessed and lead a dangerous lifestyle. If you are going to drink, just don't ruin your life behind it. It's not worth it.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I'm so happy for you @toppot44 . I like your description of alcohol as a spirit that possesses a person. That is the synonym for addiction, being possessed.

It delights me every time I read about someone who has recovered from addiction; there is hope for many more out there.

Good for you. Thanks for sharing.
    toppot44 likes this.
  3. toppot44

toppot44 Member

Thank for the acknowledgment darkrebelchild & yes indeed, it's great to see people overcome things that can deprive them from being well-rounded & leading a productive lifestyle. Those demons in liquor kept me separated from GOD & almost destroyed me, but now I laugh at the Devil LOL!!
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Congratulations! I am very happy for you. Thank you for sharing your story. You are an inspiration to those who are struggling.
    toppot44 likes this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@toppot44... Congratulations to you on finding sobriety! Breaking free from alcohol can most definitely improve your life exponentially in so many ways. I'm glad you are discovering that. Thanks for sharing with us. Your story will inspire everyone who reads it! :)
    toppot44 likes this.
  6. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I did a similar thing but my drinking was intentional and when I say this I mean I forced my drinking. I couldn't cope with the stress and with some other issues that just piled up on everything else. In the end I was mildly addicted because it was time my grief was over and I still drank every nigh. Now, I couldn't fall a sleep so I drank alcohol with some pills even. It was a complicated situation for me but now I am clean.
    toppot44 likes this.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yes! I loved that I wasn't controlled by something anymore - that my decisions weren't made solely with drinking in mind. I felt like when I committed to sobriety that slowly but surely it was like a fog was lifting. It has honestly changed my life for the better, in so many ways. So glad that you're experiencing the same! :)
    toppot44 likes this.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Glad to read you have managed to tackle your addiction, that is great news :) Keep that up! Don't forget to keep on checking in with us, and if you feel weak or down, don't forget we are here to help you as much as we can, and are always willing to listen :)
    toppot44 likes this.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Kudos to you @toppot44! From an alcoholic, you've transformed yourself into a social drinker. In other words, a person who can control his alcohol consumption instead of being a person consumed by alcohol. It's also great that you don't consider those occasional drinking moments as "slip ups." Many people in the recovery stage aspire for zero alcohol intake but I do think your approach is more practical. It's okay to drink alcohol as long as you are still the master of your ship and captain of your soul.
    toppot44 likes this.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It was really great reading your post, as it shows what an impact coming clean can have on a person. I'm hoping that more folks will read your post, and it will inspire them to make an effort to give up on alcohol. It's hard work giving up, and it can be a time-consuming process, but the end result is more than worth it.
    toppot44 likes this.
  11. toppot44

toppot44 Member

That's the avail
  12. toppot44

toppot44 Member

Thank you all for reading and for your feedback and support. This Is a forum that can really not only change a person's life but save a person's life. I will continue my quest of living and being responsible. I look forward to chatting with you all and hearing some of your personal experiences dealing with drug abuse and alcoholism. Hope everyone is having a great day, and have a wonderful weekend.
    xTinx likes this.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

This is great news to hear. If you don't like people being possessive of you then how much so when it comes to addictions? Freedom is never free but is so important to have and worth fighting over. It sounds like your journey is doing well.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you were able to control it and have those realizations. Being sober can really bring great changes in one's life. As lifestyle was changed and other aspects in life will be in the right direction or better as well.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For a lot of people that want to give up drinking, I think its only reading stories like this that give them the willpower and motivation to try.

Giving anything up isn't easy, especially alcohol, but if you can see and hear proof of how much better your life will be, you know it's worth at least trying.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a really inspiring story. I think if you can't control yourself when drinking you shouldn't do it. Different people react to alcohol different ways, some people can chill out and some people get plain stupid. Great post thanks for sharing.
  17. aang

aang Member

Thank you for sharing this, my girlfriend struggles with an alcohol addiction and has been in and out of the hospital multiple times, tried quitting multiple times, quit briefly multiple times. The problem though is I'm the enabler buying it for her since she doesn't have money and I'm the one that has to make it all. I can't imagine how much I've spent on alcohol in the past year but how mad about it can I be since I have my own marijuana addiction and spend money on it. We're both trying to quit our addictions and when she's not drinking things are great, but then she just wants to drink a little so I get a pint of whiskey and she always complains she needs more because of her tolerance. So I get end up getting another pint because if I don't it just turns into a whole argument where all she wants now is more alcohol and I'm upset at her but still have to buy it. I love her more than anything I can't see myself leaving her over it when I have my own addiction I'm struggling with. Though mine makes me feel good and laugh a lot hers tends to make her feel sick to where she just lays in bed all day but I still spend money on mine. I'm hoping soon we can both quit, your post inspired me.
  18. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Well, feeling free is one of the best things, bettersaid, it is the best thing you could ever feel after quitting alcohol, you gotta live it up, start making changes and build a new life as a free person, congratulations for the objective that you have finally achieved, I would definitely like to see more people like you out there.
    toppot44 likes this.
  19. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people when asked why they take a particular drug though, also use the freedom word aswell but for the opposite effect, and use it as an excuse to do what they do.

While we're all free to do what ever we want, isn't it better to do something that isn't going to have consequences further down the line?
  20. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That is awesome to hear. It's always good to read a success story. You really summed up the big issues with alcohol. The feeling free of it is a great way of putting it. Alcohol can really feel like a prison at times.
    toppot44 likes this.