An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Feeling Good vs Good For You

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Apr 2, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Eric Thomas said 'Don't make a habit out of choosing what feels good over what's actually good for you.'

Drugs and alcohol may temporarily make a person feel good, however, we all know that they are not good for us, and over time, will only lead to physical and personal ruin. Just because something feels good does not mean that it is good for you, or that you need it to feel good. It is possible to live a happy, healthy, drug and alcohol free life. All it takes is action on your part in saying no!
    Hopeful32, Damien Lee and kassie1234 like this.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, people should not even try drugs at all because it will not do them any good. As for alcohol, at the most they can drink socially, but never habitually. Cigarettes are a big no-no. People should make it a point to live a vice-free life!
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's a really good quote and it absolutely applies to addiction! I think it can also apply to other things in life, such as relationships (both romantic and friendships) that aren't good for us, but make us feel validated or not alone...sometimes we have to remember that toxic relationships aren't good for us either and stepping away from them is okay!
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Yes, those things can make us feel good for a while but in the long run, they can destroy us. Sometimes we think that by drinking alcohol and using drugs, our problems will melt away. But we only forget them for a while. After the effects are gone, our problems are still there. Those are just temporary solutions which in the end, will cause us more problems.
  5. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

That is so true, not everything that feels good is actually good. The reason why humans were made with a brain that makes us decide between right and wrong.

Not all wants are needs and this is what we should keep telling ourselves in order to create a good future for ourselves.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Feeling good and what is good for you are two different conditions. You can feel good when you drink or smoke, however, drinking and smoking are not good for you. A glass of orange juice instead of alcohol is good for you. You will have to take this even if you don't feel good about this.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

It can be hard to choose what's good for us when it doesn't really feel good. It's easier to choose what feels good despite it being the wrong choice. But that's the challenge of life, it constantly gives you temptations to choose what is bad for you. And you know what? Being able to resist that temptation is a thousand more times greater feeling than giving in to the temptation. I actually live for those moments, moments of temptations and decisions.

And like with drugs and alcohol, there will be instances in our lives that we would have to make a choice to choose them or to not choose them. Yes, if we choose them, there's that feeling of high that we would have. But is it worth it in the end? Is it worth it to feel the guilt, the pressure with that feeling of high? Because for me, it isn't anymore. I would rather do what's good for me, resist the temptation, than have that high.

The reality is, that feeling of goodness isn't really worth it. Because it's fake, it's substance-induced and it doesn't equate to anything. Now resisting that temptation, feeling things, being in the moment... Those are things that I want for the long-run.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

That is an excellent statement, and if only most would live our lives that way. It's so easy to give into our cravings and just take the easy path. The things that are truly good for us, they are much harder to attain often requiring us to put in that extra leg work. But the long-term benefits cannot be understated.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This saying is absolutely right! If you are feeling good about one thing or in doing something it does not mean that it is already good for you. That is why you must learn how to distinguish what is right or wrong and what is really good for you and for your life to make it better and meaningful.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Mr. Thomas is very much correct. Everyone must have noticed by now that most of the things that "feel good" can actually put you in danger compared to those that do not exactly give you pleasure but are what your body, heart and soul need. People should stop trying to escape pain and hurt. When you go through and endure inescapable truths, you become a stronger and more resilient individual - someone who doesn't need to drink or take drugs in an attempt to escape or hide from reality.
  11. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

I have the same problem with food still. I can fantasize about comfort food till doomsday when I'm stressed. My mom taught me that when you're stressed, you need to be sure to eat, and when you're celebrating, you feast. And then there's crackers, cookies, cake, pie and ice cream, which were usually present in the home for after school snacks. While my mom meant well, like many others, she was teaching me to medicate my emotions with food. Now that I'm almost 50yo, I'm grateful to have learned moderation through portion control and a plant-based clean eating diet. The fewer chemicals in my body the better, one way or the other.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is so true. Those substances will just give temporary happiness and will later destroy your life. There could be healthy ways to be happy or enjoy life and those are usually can lasts longer and give you good life.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is so true, sometimes we relate our well being with things that make us feel good, for example food, I love junk food and it tastes so good~ but that doesn't mean that is good for me, is actually a really bad thing to consume on a daily basis... So I really need to work on that.