An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Feeling grateful.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by medievalmama, Apr 30, 2015.

1. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

I just wanted to share how grateful I've been feeling lately. Because I failed miserably at life and drinking and drugging and ended up in a 12-step recovery program, I know and trust a higher power that guides me through every moment of my life. I got to spend an amazing afternoon today in a beautiful park with one of my sponsees. We pretty much just talked about god, and how awesome it feels to just "be in the flow," not forcing anything, just accepting what is happening and doing the next right thing. I wish all of you the Bliss of the spirit I feel today.
    kana_marie likes this.
  2. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Im glad you feel that way now. Keep that positive energy and your life is going to be well. God bless you. :)
  3. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Sounds like you have found your inspiraton in life. Let it guide you to a higher level.
  4. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's amazing. Feeling grateful is one way of feeling peaceful inside, because gratefulness can be totally calming and put your mind at peace of all that's going on around you. I'm glad that it's working out for you and I'm really hoping it becomes even better and better :) I hope you continue in the direction of talking about God and faith and hope, because it really will help you :)
    medievalmama likes this.
  5. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm glad you feel so at peace. I think there are probably a lot of people who either hasn't been able to find that certain inspiration, or they won't let themselves feel good about it. Congratulations.
  6. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I'm not a pious person but if connecting with God helps with recovery then I vouch for religion. As they say, whatever floats your boat. I personally wouldn't mind dabbling in uncharted territories as long as I feel I'm making progress. I think it's great you have something to put your faith into. By the looks of it, it helps too. Good for you.
  7. 003

003 Community Champion

It's really a great thing to hear. You will serve as an inspiration to me and other s as well. Whenever something good happens to other people, I feel really good, thinking if they can do it, I can also do it, other can also do it. I hope that once that you have fully recovered, you'd keep on sharing to other people.
  8. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

Oh, lordy, I ain't religious one bit!! Probably more like a Pagan buddhist who appreciates the teaching of enlightened ones from many different cultures.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's always better to have faith in goodness and redemption, even if you don't adhere to a particular system of belief, than to not believe in anything at all. Faith, as they say, moves mountains, regardless of what kind of faith you adopt. In my opinion, the stronger the person's faith is, the less likely he is to give in to temptation. Or, if he managed to acquire such a faith during the recovery process, then the faster he'll be able to recover.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I am not a spiritual person, but I think it is great that it has given you strength and inspiration. Keep hanging on to your faith and one day your reach your ultimate goal of being healthy again.
  11. kylerlittle

That's right. It's good to encourage people as much as possible. I think it's very difficult to go through those things without faith. Having faith and holding onto it certainly helps. Thank you for your comment, eventhough your'e not a spiritual person :)
  12. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I'm happy that you've come to such a high point in your life, and it sounds like it was a tough road to get to that point. If you want to embrace God and doing so helps you live life to the fullest, then that's the best thing that you could possibly do. Do you plan on helping other people with substance abuse problems, too?
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello @medievalmamama! ;)

I'm glad to hear that you are now finally free of your addictions. And yes, God is so faithful. He really deserves all the glory and praise. I also feel blessed and grateful everyday because of God. If it weren't for Him, I don't know what I would be like today.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Love the whole concept of gratitude. From the littlest things to the biggest -- it's important to find joy in those things and appreciate them. I keep a journal where I write down many things - joys, frustrations, worries...but I'm also conscious of including things I am grateful for in there.
    It's my daily reminder of the good things in life! It may be something as simple as a great cup of coffee from a cafe, or a phone call from a friend that day - but I find it puts everything in perspective!
  15. kylerlittle

Thank you for these words of wisdom, they're really full of wisdom. I agree with you on a lot here and love is the whole concept of gratitude :) Or perhaps shall I say out of love comes gratitude.
  16. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, gratitude is so essential. Even for the little things, like delicious cups of tea, or a cuddle from my cat. They serve as reminders that this world can be a good place. And it’s wonderful to read all these stories about finding sources of gratitude!
  17. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I'm glad you have a strong connection with your spirituality and faith in God. I too believe in His healing power, not only physically but spiritually and emotionally. I have always reached out to Him during my lowest moments and I always feel a certain feeling of ease whenever I do. When I used to be a drunk and a smoker, He was one of the greatest positive influence that lifted me up. God Bless to you! :)
  18. kylerlittle

Wow, your words are really encouraging and deep. It really means a lot to hear that and I think you're absolutely right since I've experienced it myself. Thank you gracer for these lovely words.
    gracer likes this.
  19. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Being grateful is a great feeling to have. I'm happy to hear that for you.