An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Feeling suicidal but too afraid to carry out the act

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rowe992, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Has anyone else ever felt suicidal at some point but the idea of doing it just scares you because you think it will be painful?
  2. Kappys

Kappys Member

I have been previously suicidal, but i weighed out what was important to me and that i could enjoy the rest of my life prosperously. Since then i have made a legacy within my family and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I life lost is a life very much wasted and i encourage you to see the joy that's ahead of you in life.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I had those thoughts when i was a teen since i was going through a lot of stuff. My father was alcoholic and mum was always busy at work so there was usually no one to talk to during these troubling times. My self esteem was at all time low and if it wasn't for my older siblings, i wouldn't have made it.
  4. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I have never felt like committing suicide before but I can see where you are coming from... I have to be honest though and say I am glad that the thought of killing yourself and the pain scares you. I actually think that that fear gives you the time to reconsider and see that nothing is worth taking your own life!
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I had a friend who killed himself. He'd been planning for a while to kill himself so he could he get his uncle who'd mistreated him, in trouble. We talked him out of it many times. The fact that he had friends kept him going. When we no longer were there for him, he killed himself. I believe that sometimes it's not fear [of pain] that holds people back from ending their lives. They have other reasons why they should live.

I suggest that anyone thinking of killing himself/herself should call the suicide hotline ASAP.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
    EditorsRHumansToo! and MrsJones like this.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have often reached a point in my life where I thought that it would be a great relief to just be able to close my eyes and stop breathing forever. But those moments passed, and I now regard them with a strange, melancholy feeling. It's always the same yearning... to go home, to go to a place where there is peace, and where I don't have to struggle anymore. Over the years I have managed to change many things in my personal life, and I now realize that if I can't find any peace in this life, I will never find it... So, I keep on working on it.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Though I used to entertain thoughts like "what if I wasn't here" or "would anyone care if I suddenly disappear," I never ever considered suicide as an option. I believe that we're only as great as our problems. If everything was too perfect, there would be no point in existing at all. So I guess we all have to take this life with a grain of salt and find joy in the fact that we're all here for a reason.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have never entertained the thought of suicide but often wonder about death. Actually I wish I did not think of death as often as I do. On the topic of suicide, I wish more people were scared of it like someone said. Many would still be with us today.

With all the struggles and troubles that life throws at us from time, to time, I don't think we ought to take away that gift that has been given to us.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Everyone probably has thought about it at some point or at least probably most people do. I think what's holding most people back is just an innate mechanism that tells us we need to survive, and we could use that trait for us or against us. I think it's best to just use that part of our mind to our advantage and to make the most out of it, as is with most things in life that we are born with.
  10. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I felt suicidal many times, and sometimes in some misery days I think about commiting suicide,
    but I'm much better nowadays than I felt in the past.
    Check out my thread "suicide" in the "tell us your story" category.
  11. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. If you are feeling suicidal, please seek help immediately.

Please know that things do get better and that you're not alone. Please don't harm yourself.
  12. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding like I support suicide (because I don't) but this is good. See, if you're too afraid to go through with it, that means you still feel there is something worth living for.

What you should do (or any person that feels this way) is try to harness and focus on whatever makes you hesitant and build on it. With some luck, it will keep you from having such negative feelings ever again.
  13. Just last week I lost a friend to suicide. My friend had struggled with drinking related issues and finally decided last Sunday to end his life. I am glad that you are too afraid to go through with your suicidal thoughts because victims of suicide do not realize what they put the people they love through in the days, weeks and years afterwards.

The main problem that I have with suicide is that it leaves so many unanswered questions and feelings for guilt for the friends and family of the victim. I have personally spent the last week analyzing and over analyzing every conversation that I had with my friend in the weeks leading up to his decision to take his life. I cannot shake the feeling that I should have been there when it happened, seen the signs, or done something more to help him through his addiction.

I know that suicide seems like the easiest way out of problems that can seem too overwhelming to bear, but I am urging everyone feeling suicidal to please consider that although the pain in your own life is gone, there are many loved ones left here to try to pick up the pieces while searching for answers that will never come.
  14. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Isn't the fear a positive thing? Look at it this way what you're describing is something everyone on the face of the planet has dealt with: Self-doubt. Now what will truly define you is how you deal with that. You can sulk & roll in the doubt or realize you are here for a purpose & explore that. We could all sit in a closet & live until we die but that's not living. Get out there & do things with the opportunity life itself has given you.
    Zyni likes this.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. I thought of suicide when I was thirteen. It was really kind of foolish, I know, but when you feel very depressed, you only think that suicide is the best answer to your problem. Actually, the reason I wanted to kill myself that time was because I got a really low grade in one subject, and I really hated and blamed myself for that. I told myself I couldn't face my parents anymore and I could never show them my grade, I have failed them entirely. I didn't want to see their disappointed looks. I was planning to hang myself. Good thing, I was not able to act it out. I showed my parents my grade while crying. And they understood me. After that, I worked hard at school to redeem myself. Thankfully, I got the highest grade in our class in that subject.
  16. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I never thought about suicide, but sometimes I just feel like walking away from everything, I feel tired of it all and I just want some peace of mind...
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

If you are too scared to do it, then that is your conscience telling you that you are not done here yet. That could be God, depending on what you believe. God has taken me out of some really awful situations, and those situations are very similar to what you are feeling right now.
  18. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I was too scared to do it too, because no matter how bad it seems snipping off your mortal coil is no easy feat. Nor should it be taken lightly. I thought about it so many times I contemplated a million different ways to do it, but when it came down to it you just can't.

Why? Because there's that other emotion called "hope" and hope makes it so that no matter the situation, damned or not, staring death in the face or not, we can have hope. Hope that something can, and will, change.
    Zyni and serenity like this.
  19. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Yep, that is the key right there Shimus, we need to have hope, we need to have life in our lives, we need to have something that make us want to continue.
  20. Lilypad

Lilypad Member

What you think is fear might be a small part of you urging you to live. I've been there tell myself that I just did not have the guts. Please try talking too someone and tell them how you feel, you might be surprised how people come through for you once you let them know what you're going through. Fight the negative feelings.