An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Feeling suicidal but too afraid to carry out the act

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rowe992, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

That is very true. It's not always in the open, and sometimes you spend an eternity searching for it.
  2. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I have tried many times to commit suicide. I have thought about doing it in many different ways. After successfully killing myself ( my heart stopped 4 times ) I realized one big thing. No matter how hard today is, there is always the hope for tomorrow. If you are too scared because you are afraid it might hurt then thats part of your brain telling you not to. No one ever deserves to feel that is their only way out, everyone's life is special!

If you are contemplating suicide I would suggest calling a Crisis unit or seeking other medical attention because you are worth it. Do not let anyone ever tell you different! :)
  3. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I have never thought of killing myself but because I suffer from bad anxiety , at some point, I was scared about the posibility of me going crazy and kill myself. It was all in my head, anxiety can make you think that you are going crazy.
    I would recommend you from all my heart to go to a psychiatrist if you feel bad everyday. Life was never meant to be a struggle and it is no shame in going to a doctor who can help you. I know that we live in a world full of people who like to judge but if you have these thoughts it means that your organism is giving you a signal that something is wrong , that you suffer from depression (your serotonin levels and down). You can solve all of these just by visiting a doctor and you will be relieved after you start the treatment.I wish you the best of luck !
  4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I used to be suicidal about three years ago I think, I was going through really hard times, and I used to take a lot of sleeping pills every saturday, expecting that one of those days I would be able to take enough pills to kill myself, but luckily I never get to that point. But I think that the pain wasn't a problem for me, I was scared of just dying, never be happy on my own skin, giving up, I was scared of never be brave enough to deal with everything that I'm currently dealing, but isn't that bad.
  5. Shimus

I'd be lying if I said I'd never considered it a true option, but I never really could follow through. There's been plenty of times where I've been depressed enough, or at my wit's end trying to figure a way out from rock bottom.

Guess what? I'm still here. All you need is one or two good people in your life for reinforcement that you can do better, and then the sky isn't even the limit - it's the moon! (or technically in between it, in the international space station! hah)
  6. jmontero31088

jmontero31088 Member

I went through a point in my life where I was in a very bad place. I was in a bad relationship that I didn't feel like I could get out of. I started cutting myself because i became so numb it was the only thing that helped. I didn't do it for attention. Nobody knew. I thought many times of committing suicide. Every time I got close, though, I thought about my family and how much it would hurt them. How heartbroken they would be. I realized how selfish of me it would be to do it. I'm glad today I never went through with it because I have a wonderful husband and a beautiful little boy. I still struggle with depression from time to time, but my family is what keeps me grounded.
    Shimus likes this.
  7. Shimus

8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have been in your shoes too. There are times where I have seen that as the only viable option left, yet, there's always something that stops me. Maybe it's my common sense.
  9. Shimus

Yeah, or the fact we realize it's just a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Need to fix it? Fix it. Don't dwell on it, or you'll go right back to these thoughts. But all too easy is it to fall right back into those habits.
  10. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Yes i have, but it wasnt the fear of pain that stopped me. It was the fear of what would happen when i was dead. It's a horrible mindset to be in and it is the best way to know that you need to make real changes in your life
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve had suicidal thoughts a few times in my life, and there were certain points where I even researched the best methods. I never acted on my urges, though. I think there were various factors stopping me. Lack of access to my preferred methods was one, but mostly it was having good people in my corner who could talk me down.

And another seldom mentioned reason not to do it… my enemies and naysayers. If I went through with it, they would win (either that, or simply not care at all). Even at my worst, I still have enough pride to piss the former off, and to prove the latter wrong, just by living the way I want to live.
  12. Shimus

That's exactly right, @CallipygianGamine - The Naysayers would have won. Even at our worst, a sense of self and pride kicks in (or should, for those still not ready to die or leave the world) we have pride. and this pride is enough, barely, to keep us going most of the time.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I will admit that I have attempted suicide on a couple of occasions but opted to take an overdose as I thought it would be pain-free. I'm here writing this now so obviously it never worked! To be homest, I don't think the fear of pain is enough to deter someone who is seriously suicidal. Who cares if it will hurt, you're going to be dead so it won't matter!

Like @Lilypad, I too think that the fear is indeed a small part of your brain, urging you to stay alive.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have been on that road too. Many years ago I was in a very bad relationship. He was the father of my children. I stayed with him because at the time I didn't think I could do it on my own. I was so beat down that I had lost all belief in myself. I remember one day driving home from work and there was this semi truck coming down the other side of the road. I thought to myself I could just jerk the wheel into the path of that truck and it would be over. I would finally be free but then I thought of my children at home waiting for me and that I knew I could never do that to them.

I pulled over on the side of the road and cried. I was shaking and crying and couldn't believe that I allowed myself to get to that point in my life. I thought to myself I didn't do that to my children because they were at home but would happen when they were grown and gone and had their own lives? What would stop me then?

That evening I went home and I started to make a plan on how I was going to get away. It took almost a year but one day when he left to go to work I packed up and moved out. I have never even seen him since that day. I have no regrets about leaving, it was the best thing I ever did. My only regrets were that I wasted so many years of my life in a bad situation and the hurt I caused my children by staying. I was a long timeforgiving myself for that one but I have.

It took me getting to that low point in my life to realize I needed to take care of me and that my life mattered!
  15. harold

harold Community Champion

I have never thought of killing myself, but I have seen people do it. It is really sad to know that people get tired of this world and are willing to die. It is true that certain situations in life are so difficult to handle, but nothing is stronger than the human being. We have superior abilities to handle difficult moments and still come out strong. This ability is a God-given. I have seen people kill themselves because their lovers did not want them any longer, others because they were being maltreated and so on. I once met this young man who was around 17, he had a girl friend who was cheating on him. When he discovered that she was cheating on him, he demanded that she terminate the relationship and come with him, but she instead abandoned him. He took a poisonous substance and was rushed to the hospital. Fortunately, he survived. It took so much, to convince the young man not to try the act again. I believe that people who want to commit suicide and don't, are not really afraid, but just have a reason or two to live on. I believe that nothing is too strong for a human being to handle, no matter what it may be.