An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Female Smoking Risk Increase

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Survivor21, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Women smoking nowadays are far more likely to die as a result of their habit than they were in the 1960s, according to a new study.

Changing habits such as starting earlier and smoking more cigarettes have been blamed on dramatically increased risks of lung cancer.

The trends, reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, show death rates in women have caught up with men.

The study looked at data from more than two million women in the US.

The first generation of women smokers started during the 1950s and 60s. In those early years, women who smoked were nearly three times more likely to die from lung cancer as people who had never smoked.

Looking at medical records from women between 2000-2010 showed they were 25 times more likely to die from lung cancer than their non-smoking friends.

It follows a similar pattern in men, who reached a similar level in the 1980s.

Lead researcher Dr Michael Thun said: "The steep increase in risk among female smokers has continued for decades after the serious health risks from smoking were well established, and despite the fact that women predominantly smoked cigarette brands marketed as lower in 'tar' and nicotine.

"So not only did the use of cigarette brands marketed as 'Light' and 'Mild' fail to prevent a large increase in risk in women, it also may have exacerbated the increase in deaths from chronic obstructive lung disease in male smokers, since the diluted smoke from these cigarettes is inhaled more deeply into the lungs of smokers to maintain the accustomed absorption of nicotine."

Research published last year suggested that lifelong female smokers died a decade earlier than those who never started.

However, those who gave up by the age of 30 almost completely avoided the risks of dying early from tobacco-related diseases with those stopping by 40 died a year younger.

Speaking after that study, Prof Sir Richard Peto, at Oxford University, said "If women smoke like men, they die like men."

BBC NEWS - 2013
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thanks for sharing this, Survivor21.
  3. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing this piece of information with us. I think female addicted to smoking will have much more hazardous than male. The babies and children growing with their smoking mothers can have many health problems too.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

It's not surprising. I know plenty of women that started smoking regularly long before they turned 18, and they've been doing it ever since. A lot of them have quit, but I still know plenty of women that smoke a lot more than most men I know. It's something they'll probably pay the price for later on if they don't tackle their cravings/addictions to cigarettes. Then again, it's not like cigarettes affect only one of the genders.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Thanks for sharing, every woman addicted to cigarettes should check this out. At least this might give them some motivation to quit.
  6. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Thanks for posting this, it's an interesting article. I started smoking when I was 13 years old, and smoked for 17 years. I quit when I was 30 because I realized that I smoked for more years in my life than years I didn't! There are so many pressures on young women, when I was a teen people always talked about smoking keeping you thin and it was seen as classy. I'm glad that people are much more aware now that these things are myths and we are gradually moving towards a more non-smoking society.
  7. hollysheats

hollysheats Member

That may be true, but there is no telling what will kill someone. A person can smoke all their lives and not have cancer of the lungs. It all depends on the person and their genetics.
  8. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I also found out that cigarettes can also increases the risk of human papillomavirus (HPV). However smoking does not give you (HPV) it just increases the risk. Women who smoke are about 26 times more likely than non-smokers to develop lung cancer. Tens of thousands of women will die this year from lung cancer. Smoking increases the risk of heart disease and stroke by 2 to 4 times in female's. Also, women who smoke have a 25 percent higher risk of developing heart disease as compared to men who smoke. Smoking can cause cancer almost anywhere in your body Bladder, Cervix, Kidney and ureter, Stomach, there is almost no end to it. Smoking can make it harder for a woman to become pregnant and can affect her baby's health before and after birth. A Stillbirth is the most worse, I went thought that about 4 years ago and still have not forgot it, some may not think that smoking can do all of this to your body but it can. Some other effects for those that are pregnant or may want to become pregnant you may want to look at all the tings smoking can do to you and you unborn child. Low birth weight is one of the most common that we hear about the other is Sudden infant death syndrome (known as SIDS or crib death). Smoking affects the health of your teeth and gums and can cause tooth loss or maybe yellow teeth to start out with. Smoking can increase your risk for cataracts (clouding of the eye’s lens that makes it hard for you to see) and age-related macular degeneration (damage to a small spot near the center of the retina, the part of the eye needed for central vision) There are a lot of unknown things that smoking can do but this is just some. I still say if you do smoke thing about trying to quite it may save your life.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

This is a great article. Back in the 1950s and 60s smoking was popular amongst women. They held card games and smoked like chimneys throughout the afternoon. I have been smoking since I was about 17 and have decided that it is time to quit. I want to live a long healthy life and I am tired of all the junk in my throat and coughing all of the time. It is one of the hardest things to do, because you have to also replace the habit, not just the nicotine.