An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Fighting Negative Peer Pressure

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Rainman, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most addictions are the result of someone's inability to resist negative peer pressure. Though there are some adults who find it hard to say "no" kids are more vulnerable since they tend to trust their peers more than their parents who they think only want to stop them from having fun.

Know any ways you can convince kids to trust their parents or adults they regularly interact with [like teachers] more since listening to teens who like them have little life experience might land them in trouble?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think parents should start being close to their kids from the beginning or early time as possible. Kids can grow up seeing their parents as friends or even best friends. It will be a matter of approach and it is important that their kids introduce their friends to their parents.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Friends are always such a huge part of a teenager's life. No matter how close you are to your child they will only tell you so much. They don't share everything with their parents or other adults. They may if it were an older sibling that they trusted. It depends on the child too. Peer pressure has a lot to do with their self esteem and confidence. If they are confine they will have no trouble saying no. They will only do what they want. Some are followers and will do whatever others do. Being a teenager is tough.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I think it's all about ensuring that you have a special band with your child. Try and practice talking to them about certain things from an early age, not as just their parent but as a friend too. When they they have a friend in you they will easily come to you with their problems. That doesn't say you shouldn't be a parent when it's necessary.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Kids need examples whenever you talk to them. There are grown ups in the society who never heeded by their parent's words that is why they are struggling with life. You can also get them motivational films to watch instead of them watching only action movies. Kids must be FORCED to go to church, they have no choice. Never go to church while your kids stay at home. By attending Sunday church schools, they get to learn what God expects from them and that is the only way they will grow up spiritually.
  6. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Kids should be encouraged to pick their friends, and cut out negative influences and toxic relations. If you build a bond of trust with your child, they will share with you and listen to your advice. You need to be a pillar of strength they can look up to, set examples yourself and show them that going down on the other paths is the wrong choice.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I believe that in order for teenagers not to give in to temptations, and peer pressure, parents really should start having good communication with their children. As early as possible, they should begin telling their kids about the dangers of substance abuse. This might be a good deterrent.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

We should also teach our children on how to avoid friends who don't think positively about life. Let them report on how they spend their time with their friends while out there. Talk to them on how their lives can be affected at a younger age and I am sure that they will listen.
  9. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Peer pressure can be a positive or a negative thing. Growing up, I had many friends that took drugs and they often offered their friends drugs and encouraged them to try it. On the other hand I know that there are many teenagers and kids who are opposed to taking drugs and who will actively tell their friends not to mess with them. With that said, you're correct. We need to be fighting against negative peer pressure and encouraging our kids to pressure their peers to do positive things that will improve their lives.
  10. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

I remember wanting to fit in so badly when I was young yet I felt like such an outsider! I don't know anything about child psychology and developing young minds. I know that there is some separation and independence from parents felt by young people as they move into puberty. I imagine that is the time when the "fitting in" feeling may come into play. Fitting in for me included smoking to look cool, putting on make-up, wanting expensive clothes like my wealthy friends, craving acceptance and approval from my peers, etc. These weren't things my parents could provide, it was what I saw at school and I wanted to be like everyone else. Instead I felt different. I'm not certain what could help a young person with that transition into adulthood, it just seems like that's the time it has the biggest impact. It also seems like that's the age I started wanting to be older, I wanted to be 18 so I could smoke, I wanted to be 21 so I could drink and go out dancing, I wanted to be old enough to drive, I wanted to look more like an adult and less like a kid. My friends who had been drunk, who knew how to smoke (and inhale!) all appeared so much more wise and more "cool" than me. I was still coming home and watching cartoons as a high school freshman, had never kissed a boy, yet many of my friends had done EVERYTHING under the sun that made them seem more grown-up. That fitting in feeling is where I got tangled up in issues, and it took a long time to untangle. If I'd had a stronger sense of self, and felt like what I liked and my values were important, maybe I wouldn't have got so distracted in keeping up with my friends. P.S. None of the "friends" who were a "bad influence" are friends now. I wish them nothing but the best, I just know that they didn't have my best interest in mind. I also wish I knew how to help a young person experiencing the same struggles. Good blessings and luck to you and your loved ones, best wishes to the young folks on their journey! :)
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

When I went to high school, an anti drug initiative visited our school to talk to us about drugs and avoiding them. I remember them saying that peer pressure does not exist because at the end of the day it's up to you whether you choose to follow your friends or not. It's also your choice to have those friends. The majority of popular kids at my school did drugs, drank alcohol and had sex since 8th grade. I still remember a girl having to drop out when she was pregnant at 14. I stayed away from those people, I was rather popular at primary school so I stayed friends with those people throughout high school but became more distant and tried to avoid them for the sake of not getting myself into those situations. I made friends with the kids who didn't do drugs and knew they were better than that.