An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Finally quit smoking weed!!

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by lonewolves, Jul 28, 2019.

1. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

Hi everyone!
    I’ve posted a few times in the past about how I struggled tremendously with quitting smoking pot. I tried switching to vaping and injesting, but no matter what I did I would always go back to smoking. Well, I am very proud to say that I finally did it, and here is what worked for me:

My psychiatrist put me on a medication called Mirtazapine. She had never tried to use it on a patient for quitting weed but we figured we would give it a try. I didn’t quit right away, but then I went up on the medication and went out with friends and smoked a bit more than usual. I ended up feeling really sick and puking a bunch, and I thought maybe it was nicotine poisoning or something. Anyways, the next day after that I decided to quit smoking pot, and then I went 2 weeks without it (I had never been able to go 2 weeks without it before!). After two weeks I went to my dealer to get weed for a friend, and he offered me a joint. I figured “why not” and smoked it with him. I then went to my friend’s house to deliver the weed I bought for them, and started feeling really hot and had to lie down on their lawn. Then I puked on their lawn, and realized that it had to have been the weed making me puke. I hate the feeling of puking, so it basically has scared me into never smoking again while I’m on this medication!

I’m starting to decrease my dosage of the Mirtazapine now, because it makes me drowsy the next day, and am a little scared that I’ll go back to smoking pot, but as it stands: I am no longer a pot head!
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@lonewolves I am so proud of you,this is amazing news.I knew you would get it done eventually,congratulations. I have finally got back to opiate free recently myself so I share your joy and sense of accomplishment,not trying to hijack your thread just thought I'd let you know.Its great to hear from you my friend,super super proud of you
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@lonewolves thank you for sharing. it's great you're not smoking weed anymore! i imagine it can be scary getting off that med... but try to think about how you've been living life without it and how good that has felt. make a list of all the reasons you want to stay off it...keep it handy. keep recovery in the forefront of your mind, and ask for support when you need.

we will be here, that's for sure!

proud of you!
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@lonewolves... I'm SO HAPPY to hear that you've finally succeeded in kicking your weed habit! Congrats, my friend!

I have to be honest, I had never heard of Mirtazapine before your post. So I Googled it and came across an interesting article about it. I'm posting the link below in case others want to read it.

Thanks so much for sharing your success story with us. I wish you the best going forward. And I hope you'll pop in from time to time to let us know how you're doing. I'm proud of you!!!

Here's the link to that article:

The Impact of Mirtazapine on Addiction Recovery
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Hi! Great to hear from you again. I knew you would stop eventually as well because you wanted to so badly.
    Just so you know -I'm sure you remember my forever battle with benzos- this medication was what finally got me off. I took Remeron.
    I took 30mg 4 hours before bed so I would get an appetite and eat well so I would gain some weight back.
    I tapered off the remeron over the course of about two months. Since then I have not had one single craving for a benzodiazepine at all. Not once. I can't say that for opioid ctavings but still...that's saying a lot.
    It worked for me. And I also experienced nausea when I took edibles while on this. Interesting. I never tried to smoke on it though.
    But I'm glad you are no longer a pot head!
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  6. True concern

lonewolves likes this.
  7. lonewolves

Getting bigger all of the time! Haha
    True concern and Joshstillclean like this.
  8. True concern

Nice,I'm sure you have a cool collection
  9. Joshstillclean

I wanna see a picture of the coolest ones!
    lonewolves and True concern like this.
  10. lonewolves

I work the next 6 days and then leave on vacation for 2 weeks but I’ll try and remember to take a photo and send it to you one day!
    True concern and Joshstillclean like this.
  11. Joshstillclean

Look forward to it. I collect rocks too.