New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Finally Sober

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Heather380, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Heather380

Heather380 Member

I started smoking weed at 13 and soon after tried pain pills, nerve pills, cocaine, meth, and crack. The only drugs I ever used consistently were weed and pain pills. By the age of 16 I was addicted to pain pills. When I was 19 I got pregnant and quit all drugs but soon after started back on the pain pills and that is when I sought help from a Suboxone Clinic and went there for 6 years. So for 14 years I was only clean for about 10 months straight otherwise I did some drug on a daily basis. I finally got sick and tired of being dependant on suboxone to get out of bed and decided to taper off. I quit on June 16th from .25mgs and it has been 16 days and I feel fine. I honestly never thought I could do this because when I woke up every morning I felt so sick and immediately had to take sub. But I honestly feel better now than I have in years. Sure I have some withdrawal symptoms but really it is a small price to pay to finally be able to say I am sober. If I can quit anyone can. I was terrified of withdrawals but because I tapered it has been easy. The worst of it is yawning 24/7, belly issues, anxiety, insomnia, and fatigue but all of that is already getting better. As of today, day 16, I only have yawning and slight fatigue but still been working 8 and 10 hour days. I have been taking B vitamins, DLPA, Wellbutrin, and Melatonin which I think has helped a lot. I just wanted to share my story. My family and friends do not know about my drug problems and I haven't been able to share my story.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Heather380 hey there! thanks so much for sharing and congrats on your recovery! woohoo! glad you're feeling good and living the kind of life you want. your story can encourage others that come here.

hope to keep seeing you around.

and, i love your elephant pic :)
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@Heather380 i am so proud of you,this story is very inspiring and indeed it will help both you and other's to continue to share as you make progress.I had addictions to everything you mentioned here along with alcohol and fentanyl and oxycontin however i am just about one week away from 6 month's sober after roughly 25 year's of abuse.Please work through your emotions as at least for myself that is the hardest part.To not get to angry or sad and saying Fu×k it.I share very openly simply because it helps to keep me sober and the people on this community are pure love and compassion.Stay Strong and God Bless
    Dominica and lonewolves like this.
  4. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Wow. the last time I quit opiates I did it by myself. No rehab and stayed clean for 2 yrs after 30 yr using drugs mostly heroin pain pills. Well heroin pain pills were my addiction brought me to my knees. I was thinking about going back on subs because I still have a lot of withdraw symptoms, and I wasnt doing anything good still in my life. I am and have been in therapy for the past 2 yrs for other issues. Suboxone has been coming up a lot from therapst and drs. I also have been kicking ard the idea and believe me i know what its like to detox from them and its the worst thing eperiencxed . Some real positive things have started happening to me but in the same time i havent been feeling all to good a lot of days. I dont wake up sick anymore i start my day with a ride up the street for a coffee instead of a few pks of dope.
    Anyway I'm glad your doing OK feeling better getting on with things that matter in your life.

Again I perosonally do think that these medications for opiate abuse should be really understood before using them.
  5. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I am proud of you @Jai50 for having the inner strength to not give in and go the easy route (suboxone)as i believe you understand it will eventually lead to another hellish detox or even death in the end.Stay Strong and focus your courage into strength in facing your short comings through therapy.You are indeed very stron.God Bless you
    Cametobelieve0202 likes this.