An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Finding a new hobby to help stay sober

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Cryyo, Jan 1, 2015.

1. juno

juno Community Champion

Besides gardening in your backyard, you could build some muscles and take on a landscaping project. Maybe try to do a small water fountain or create a path. Something to do with your hands that requires focus will help you stay on a track, especially if you have a goal to complete a project that can't be left half don in your own back yard.
  2. GG88

GG88 Member

I think I would go crazy without my hobbies. The joy of reading, and getting lost in a book; when I was drinking heavily, I never picked up a book at all. I didn't realise that I was missing reading at the time, but now that I'm sober, I realise how much I missed curling up in my armchair to read for an afternoon.

The crafts and all of my other hobbies really do help to keep me focused. Plus, I'm so busy working on various projects, and planning new ones, I never get time to think about drinking or that lifestyle I left behind.

I can thoroughly recommend hobbies and keeping busy in general.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Interesting, I know some people who started video gaming to get over a gambling addiction. I am not sure why you want something "manly" -- I mean, isn't the important thing that you enjoy it? This very manly guy enjoyed needlepoint and even made books about them:
    [​IMG]

But yeah, I would suggest hobbies where you exercise -- cannot drink beer while jogging, it'd shake! -- or doing something with your hands. Maybe carving wood?
  4. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I'd recommend anything related to fitness. Kettlebells are the most manly way to exercise in your backyard for sure. I'd advise that you start with a low weight and watch some youtube instructional videos if this interests you.