An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

First Smoking Experience

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoshPosh, Feb 27, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The first time I ever experienced smoking was through my mom friends. They would come over and light up like a christmas tree. I would be amazed at how they use to be able to blow smoke rings. That was cool back then.

But what I could never understand was how people could like to suck on that. I mean they use to blow it around the room indirectly into my face, and I didn't like it at all. What makes it so appealing to have stink smoke blown in your face or sucked down your throat. I don't get it.

What made you want to suck on stink and harmful smoke?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Whether it's stinky must be a matter of opinion. I personally liked the smell of smoke before I started smoking. I think for me it was my curiosity in anything mind altering at the time.
  3. webdangol223

webdangol223 Member

I agree with you bsthebenster.:cool::cool:
  4. purplepapaya

purplepapaya Member

The first time I experienced smoking I was an impressionable young teen (13? 14?) trying to make the wrong kinds of friends. I absolutely hated smoking when I started, but I chose to try and look "cool" in front of the other kids. A lot of good that did me! My goal is to teach my children to be stronger and smarter than I was.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I was about 16 and my boyfriend and his friends smoked, so I got curious and tried it for myself, I really wish they would have told me no!
  6. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

I remember that there were two twin girls that lived in the same neighborhood as me. I must've been around 8 years old. And they showed me the cigarettes they had stolen from their mom. We lit up and they noticed I didn't inhale so they instructed me on how to properly smoke. I felt so cool because they were pretty. Now I regret ever doing it. I still smoke and try to quit constantly.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The first time I stole a Camel cigarette from my father's pack of cigarettes was when I was around 14. I remember very distinctly how I suddenly felt an overwhelming desire to smoke. The urge seemed to come out of the blue. On my way home from school, I knew that I was going to smoke that day. So, I lit up the Camel, took a few careful puffs and thought it tasted absolutely delicious. No smoking or spluttering, no nausea, no bad side effect whatsoever. I loved it.... too much. I kept on smoking for nearly 15 years.
  8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

To be perfectly honest it just seemed "cool" to smoke. The first time I did it I had stolen a cigarette from my mom and shared it with a couple of friends before school. What I did to look cool in front of my friends is now a nasty habit I can't seem to put down.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I was 13 years old on the school playing field. I had been around friends when they smoked before but this one time, curiosity got the better of me and I tried it. I wasn't that impressed really, it wasn't horrible but I didn't think it was that great. That didn't stop me though and I ended up smoking for 20 years. Trying that first cigarette is my biggest regret in life.
  10. It was just recently actually. It was on the fourth of July, and me and a large group of friends were eating at an outdoor restaurant. There were a few cigarette packs being passed around and I took one. I only had about 2 that night because I don't like the feeling or taste of tobacco smoke.
  11. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

The first time I smoked a cigarette was during college where my dorm-mates were mostly smokers and there was this one time that they let me try a puff. At first I also found the odor unattractive but eventually I was hooked because of the minty smell and warm feeling in the body especially in cold nights at university. But I was not the chain smoking type because I only smoked when I felt like it and if I was with my smoker friends. After a while I eventually gave it up because I did not find the purpose of smoking anymore and I was also very aware of its negative effects on our health and body.
  12. Katt

Katt Member

As most people, I smoked my first cigarette in highschool as it was the coolest thing on Earth back then.
    You must keep in mind that for smokers the smell is like home baked pie. I remember that when I used to enter a cafe or a restaurant and I couldn't sense the smell of cigarette smoke I wanted to leave immediately as it was clearly a no smoking establishment. On the other hand, when I could sense it half a mile away, I felt instantly relaxed.
  13. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I am not a smoker, but not all of them smell bad, I have to confess that I have smelt some good smelling cigarettes that made the though of smoking cross my mind, for some people it could be peer pressure or just wanting to look cool because they believe it looks cool.
  14. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I absolutely hate the smell. I also don't understand why someone would want to smoke. I grew up in a family of smokers. I always had to go to school reeking of cigarette smoke. It embarrassed me and I was teased a lot because of it.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While to some people it might be 'disgusting', 'smelly' and a foolish thing to do but people do smoke because they are adicted to it. People dont chose to smoke because they like the smell or the taste, well I dont know anybody that does anyway, its because they NEED to a smoke.

I didnt start smoking till pretty late in life, I never tried it at school or college but i first tried it on a night out when i was in my 20's. I suppose i did it because everybody else was and i've just carried on.
  16. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Every time my husband smoke inside the house I am always complaining because I am out of my breath whenever I inhale smokes coming from cigarettes. That is why now he always goes out of the house to smoke. And everyday I am also reminding him to stop smoking while it is still early so that he can still catch up with his health for the future. Maybe it is really hard to convince a person to quit smoking after their first smoking experience.
  17. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think the smell of the smoke is an individual thing and each person may react differently. I personally love the smell of vehicle exhaust even though I know it is harmful but some people can't stand the smell. Some people just love the smell of the tobacco smoke.
  18. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I don't know if cigarettes are anything more than a way to socialize. After all, I'm sure that at least 75% of today's smokers started because someone else introduced them in this smoking world; it's a vicious circle that expands daily.
    This is what happened to me, anyway. I started smoking when I was 15 years old and a good friend of mine offered me one, and I enjoyed it the first time, second time, third time... until I became addicted. I don't regret having smoked, as I really do like smoking, it relieves me from huge stress.
  19. I think that my first time smoking was really an accident. I was holding a cig for my mother a little bit too close to my face. I inhaled some of the smoke, but instead of being disgusted like most kids are, I liked the taste of the smoke. My parents had smoked my entire life and I think that I was just accustomed to smoke. I think that I just followed in their footsteps, and here I am at 35 - still smoking.
  20. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

The very first time I tried smoking, I was with a group of friends and we took some from her parents. We went into the woods behind their house and lit one up and passed it around. I coughed a little bit but did not want to be the odd one out so I kept smoking with them. I thought it was super cool until I realized I was hooked. I have smoked ever since. I am now 32 and have gotten my smoking down to 8 ciggs a day. I know that sounds like a funny number but last week it was 9 and next week it is 7 I am really trying to quit but it is harder to kick this habit than any other drug I have ever been addicted to.