An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

First time reaching out

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by newday13, Jul 31, 2019.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm confident that you know what's best for you, @Joshstillclean. :)
    Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  2. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

Just my 2 cents. You know what works for you but don't bash methadone because it works for some people (me) if you go to the right clinic and get put on the right dose. I've never felt euphoric. I'm at a place where I want to taper as I feel that my dose may be too high but I've said this before and I'll say it again, use the tools that work for you to get off opioids. Methadone saved my life. It's not right for everyone but you need to know what will work for you. Many clinics will hand you a weeks worth of subs and off you go. Many of those people sell them or abuse them to get high. There are pros and cons to both.
  3. deanokat

Excellent post, @DoxyMom. Different things work for different people. I'm so glad that methadone is working for you!!! :)
  4. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Very true I don't think anyone is bashing methadone it all works like it should when used properly.

I think the ultimate goal is to use less harmful substances to get off more dangerous ones.
  5. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

you are def busy! i hope things will slow down a bit for you soon. i'd be grouchy if i had to stay up half the night :)
  6. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Methadone has saved my life as well.
    I was not bashing methadone. I used to go to the methadone clinic myself. What @True concern said is right...I do know it will bring back feeling a of euphoria. That's why I need to run from it. Im aware that people sell their Suboxone for cash to buy dope with. I am aware that Suboxone can be abused by people without a tolerance and that it is highly sought after because of the never-ending half life.

Just so you know I was a big fan of methadone for a couple years. It really did keep me clean. Its just easier to abuse. Like you and I have both said before use what works for you. I am a firm believer in that.
    And I'm not sure if you be ever detoxed from methadone before but if you feel like you could lower your dose I would highly recommend talking to your counselor about it. The sooner the better. Just like suboxone. Its insane how long it takes to flush the "ones" methadone/suboxone out of your body.
  7. Joshstillclean

Probably have been. I'm sorry.
    Dominica, True concern and deanokat like this.
  8. Joshstillclean

Let me completely change the narrative here.
    I posted casually because I didn't want to make a big deal of it, but i was tempted like crazy to use the financial savings as a reason to swap.
    I have been stressed and I knew exactly who would remind me where going back on methadone would lead me. And I was right. They did.
    So I needed some accountability.
    Its true.
  9. Joshstillclean

So thanks you guys for the reminder.
    Yes I do remember full agonist.
    And yes I know it will bring on the euphoria. Heck it was hard enough to just swap from methadone to suboxone.
    So thank you all for your concern. And I needed to be held accountable.
  10. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

We are glad to be of service. Anytime brother I know you would do the same for us.
  11. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

Nice video! Are you going to make like a series where each one tackles a separate issue?
  12. deanokat

I hadn't planned on it. I made that one on a whim one day. Maybe I should do more, though. Hmmmmm.
    Dominica, cheffy and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  13. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Let's not forget my first post.. I too was on methadone and I am also a believer in the "Use what works for you" technique:)
  14. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I asked you to do more videos over 1 year ago ....... I'm patiently waiting:)
  15. cheffy

I would think seeing a face and hearing a voice talking about these kinds of things for those that are hurting and searching for answers would be a great comfort. Doing this would build authenticity and trust. Always wear the same hat, and always be the same person so they can experience that same identity they've come to trust when watching each one.
    deanokat, Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  16. cheffy

I did really well with methadone but I set my own schedule - one single dose. I took a ton of it right before my first detox and with that last dose I came off of oxy through the whole next week way easier than I ever expected. And then coming off the methadone was easy. I think I was just high on the methadone all week and that gave my brain a chance to adjust to the loss of the oxy for a week.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  17. Dominica

You're doing great @DoxyMom ! Happy you're feeling pretty good and always love seeing your smiling face here in the forum!
    True concern, cheffy and deanokat like this.
  18. Dominica

i don't think you've been grouchy here... but boy, i would be if i had little sleep! haha. i hope you were able to get some sleep last night and that you have a GREAT day!
  19. Joshstillclean

Actually I did get sleep. I took today off and slept in. Had some coffee, daily sub, then went back to sleep. Now I think I'm up for the day.
    Recently got some laying hens (well 4 day old chicks) and a rooster that wants to sound like a rooster so I think I'm gonna go play with them for a while after i check the new posts here. I don't know tho-i have a whole half of a day to do nothing!
    True concern, cheffy and deanokat like this.
  20. deanokat

Something to think about. Thanks, guys.
    True concern and Joshstillclean like this.