An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

First time reaching out

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by newday13, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Remember that's the whole reason I subscribed to your channel.
    I got to hear some good music...
    deanokat and cheffy like this.
  2. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Joshstillclean I'm a little sensitive when it comes to my methadone because so many don't believe in it. I just don't want a new person reading that and being afraid to try it.
    I've been on it for six months and am at what I would call a medium high dose. I'm on 80mg. I am going to start a taper to see how low I can get to maintain. I plan on being in this 1-2 years and then tapering off completely.
  3. Joshstillclean

Im not sure really how you are offended methadone is a full agonist.
    Suboxone subutex are not and you can still get loaded on all of them.
    All i stated was a fact. And if anything I would want someone 100 percent informed before they tried anything as far as MAT. I did say methadone helped me,so a long time.
    I have also been down the broad of coming off of it. It was very very hard. That's all true. Methadone makes you "feel more" than the others. Its true I was tempted to go back on it.
    So therefore ibreaxhed pit for support.
    I would want new people to know how hard it is to come off of heroin and subutex and methadone.
    I stand behind everything I said @DoxyMom because its true. And I know that from personal experience. Please stop thinking I'm speaking down against the methadone. Here's two facts. Its helpful, and lifesaving.
    Second is its hell to stop.
    Here's a third fact. So is subutex.
    True concern likes this.
  4. Joshstillclean

I'm on my phone. Sorry about the typos
  5. Joshstillclean

@DoxyMom let me clear the air...there seems to be a little tension.
    I am still-like we both agreed on whatever works for you.
    And your methadone as you referred to it since it helps you is then also my methadone as well. Because it helped me for nearly two years.
    When I went on methadone I was at the point of chasing fentynal. Had I not received help I would have died.
    I was on an extremely high dose of methadone-in fact I couldn't up dose anymore... It was then that I realized that I needed something to help get of of the methadone. Suboxone did not work well for me as the naloxone in it does not do me any good taken daily.
    I thought dead end...then found Subutex.
    Life back! It did take away the mental cravings from methadone for the most part, which after nearly two years on I found were extremely intense. Now since then I have completely detoxed from all things opium based for nearly 4 months.
    Had I not been on MAT for so long-methadone and subs combined-who knows, I might have properly functioning kidneys.
    But then again maybe not. Like I said before lots of IV use, and I was told by the methadone and sub clinics both IV coke and heroin use kills kidneys. I was also told that I might have been able to avoid this issue if I had stopped all MAT earlier.
    This is the message that I would like all newcomers to getting off of heroin to know. First and foremost, get off heroin. Then take whatever steps necessary to get of MAT as fast as you safely can. Because it is harder to stop the longer you are on it, just like those 80 mg oxy that weren't supposed to be addictive.
    I'm glad you are having success. That's all I wish for anyone. That they succeed.
    When taking on something like heroin replacement therapy, I think folks should know that the drug they are getting on is most of the time stronger than the actual heroin. So they should do their research.
    I'm alaive because of all of the MATs really. Not just the subutex. And there are many options out there.
    Just want people to be informed.
    True concern likes this.
  6. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Joshstillclean I don't think you understand where I was coming from on my last post. I've been berated (not by you) by people who don't understand the good it's done me. I researched all MAT before making my decision. This is all I want anyone to do. What works for one may not work for another. Both can be abused. I go there for treatment not to get legal drugs so I don't abuse it. I've discussed how hard it is to come off it with my counselor and she told me like anything else, cold turkey is a nightmare but a correct taper can be done and is not as awful as you make it out to be. They will go as slow as you want and also do it blind to help with psychological withdrawal. I'm not upset with you if that is what you are thinking. I only want my experience out there.
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  7. Joshstillclean

@DoxyMom , frankly yes that's exactly what I thought. And did not want that so that why I was wanting to clear the air.
    I'm sorry that you got berated for going to the methadone clinic. Whoever did that does not know what in the world they are talking about.
    You did the best thing you possibly could have done and got your life back!
    I'm truly happy for you.
    For the record, I have detoxed improperly from both methadone and subs- I wanted to just kill over both times because I did it wrong.
    However then when I got to a lower dose and tried to detox completely I did it right...and that time it really wasn't that bad. Cravings honestly were the hardest part for me.
    And when I got a job again the distraction just about took them away.
    I think your thread is great and helps people be aware of the daily life of going to the clinic- ups and downs...dealing with others.
    Really I look forward to each post its kinda like an ongoing drama I have gotten into.
    (That's a complement) I think more people should share their stories. And congrats on almost 5 months. I'm glad your depression is getting less bothersome. Never really struggled with it myself but I've felt it twice badly. Once when I got divorced and one other time. I don't wish that on anyone. I don't know how anyone can function severely depressed-i couldn't anyway. I almost lost my job the first time.
    But anyway, I'm glad to know that. I think anyone on heroin should go to the methadone clinic asap.
    Its really hard to find a good sub doctor- and when you do there is a waiting list that's rediculous! My doctor can't see new patients until 2021...not by his choice he can only see a certain number of patients.
    The methadone clinics are there though and unless something has changed they don't have a limit as far as I know.
    So just know I think that its a great option-die or go on methadone...hmmm. Duh!
    Also ibdisnt know you were using heroin for 6 months I just read that. I thought it was 6 weeks. But regardless you are so fortunate to not have had fentanyl in you. Wow.
    Whatever works! Just get off street drugs people!
    Have a good day @DoxyMom.