An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

First time reaching out

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by jellis1206, Aug 7, 2019.

1. jellis1206

jellis1206 Member

Hello everyone I've been on a rollercoaster ride with alcohol since my teenage years and now I'm 60. I can go for weeks and not drink then I get in one of those moods and will drink every day for a week or so. Then I stop. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. Hoping to get some support from this group.
    Joshstillclean, deanokat and cheffy like this.
  2. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

That's great that you can go without like that. That's very hard to do for many. Do you consider yourself an alcoholic? Your self-image is pretty important with these kinds of things. You've probably heard this before but a lot of times going to see a therapist helps to understand where you're at with the whole alcohol thing. Kind of like letting someone from the outside tell you what they see on the inside. That can be very valuable and can help out with boosting your self-image. And of course AA is always there if you feel that you need it. In any case keep in touch here. A lot of good ideas can sprout by opening and keeping a dialogue with the people here to answer questions and come up with good ideas :).
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@jellis1206... Welcome to the community, my friend. I'm sorry that you're struggling with alcohol, but I'm very happy that you came here and shared with us.

I have to say, I second @cheffy's suggestion to see a therapist. So often our addictions are tied to other issues that we're dealing with, and sometimes we don't even know what those issues are. A good therapist can help us discover, confront, and deal with those issues. Once the root cause(s) are identified and conquered--or at least kept in check--quitting a substance can be much easier.

AA and SMART Recovery (an alternative to 12-step programs) meetings could also be a huge help. There is much help and comfort to be found there, because people know exactly what you're going through and feeling. There is power in numbers, too.

We are here to help and support you however we can, so please consider us part of your "network." Reach out anytime you need to, even if it's just to vent. You are not alone!

Sending you tons of hope and encouragement.
  4. jellis1206

jellis1206 Member

Hi guys, Thanks for responding and yes I am a alcoholic. I recently got laid off from my 25 yr job because of a merger and not from drinking. I didn't have health insurance for 6 months but recently got something from the state. I'm working on things to keep my mind off reaching for that DRINK again to start that downward spiral again. I'm not sure if the health insurance pays for a therapist and not having a lot of money not sure if I can afford it. Will look into though. Any encouragement is greatly appreciated. I've tried AA before but that holding hands and that serenity chant doesn't set well or feel right to me.
    Onceaddicted77 and cheffy like this.
  5. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

Yeah, I thought AA was a little too overbearing for me but many people do feel it's helpful.
    Hey, your best friend might be a therapist - mine was, though he didn't know it. :cool:
  6. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Hi I'm josh. Long time alcoholic and addict. I'm going on two years clean and sober though. Never thought id be able to say that. But you've met the right folks here for certain.
    You obviously are not physically dependant on alcohol or you would not be able to have periods of abstinence. Unless these periods of abstinence come with a benzo or something similar to help you through them. However I dought that's the case.
    Now without a dought you can still be an alcoholic but not have a dependency. Its rare, but I think you fit the bill. My question is what is this downward spiral that you speak of when you talk about picking up the bottle. What does a bender look like for you.
    My question is what causes it usually and where does it leave you at before you decide to stop this time around?
    Look forward to talking to you. God bless.
    cheffy, Onceaddicted77 and deanokat like this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@jellis1206... Have you looked to see if SMART Recovery has meetings in your area? They are an alternative to 12-step meetings and have helped a lot of people get and stay sober. They also have online meetings. You can find out more at https://www.smartrecovery.org/.