An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Flakka Alarming Use in Florida

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by MyDigitalpoint, May 17, 2015.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I was reading about Flakka deaths on the raise in Florida, what does not necessarily means this synthetic drug is exclusive of this state, though it comes from it and has been reported to be used in other states.

Flakka came into the drug scene past April under the name of alpha-PDP (alpha-pyrrolidinopentiophenone) but is essentially a synthetic cathinone that, like other designer drugs, was baptized with the Flakka twisted name.

Resembling in much the infamous "bath salts" that caused cannibalism and insanity episodes some years back, Flakka seems to have the same "properties" to get high.

Have you heard of flakka abuse in the place you live? If so what is the local authority doing or reporting on this?
  2. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have never heard of this substance in my country, but we have enough here. I do hope this does not spread. We can do without the reported symptoms. It seems that buying drugs has become like a sweet shop with addicts now having so many drugs available to choose from.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Yes, that's the problem, the easiness to get those jobs, many of them selling online as recreational drugs or "harmless" research chemicals that sometimes might be needed for legitimate purposes, as in example local laboratories wanting to do further studies on these substance, but the real fact is that the end consumer is usually a clueless person wantint to experiment with these substances.
  4. Devonne

Devonne Member

A couple weeks ago I first heard of this drug. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and where I'm specifically located there is a huge meth issue. Anyways, the new did a story about a woman's housing being broken into and this guy acting "insane". The cops later discovered that Flakka was what caused this episode and stated how worried they were to find this, as that means it's hit this area and will be showing up more and more. I personally don't understand it. I mean I've heard and read that it isn't a good high, but then again it's a high nonetheless.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I know of the drug, and I agree that it sounds like a really unpleasant high. I barely see the appeal. A quick Google search suggests that it hasn’t hit my state yet, but our local news sources are trying to make people aware of the terrible effects.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In the airport in New Zealand the customs department stops the drugs from entering the country, and those trying to import it are fined heavily and jailed for a long time which may be 15 to 25 years. Since last year November the government has gotten harsher on these drugs and law enforcement has been raiding homes where it has been used or being made for distribution which can be harmful as well. I think the law is working well in my country and also nice to see it is making progress since last year and should be good in the coming days which will be nice.
  7. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I have never, ever heard of this. If anyone around here is doing it, they aren't telling anyone.