An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Flashbacks

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kana_marie, May 3, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I have these moments, here and there, where I feel like I'm on drugs or drunk again. I'll even stumble around once in a while. I hate it because its a real reminder of what I gave up. Do these things happen to y'all? And if y'all do can you think of any kind of a trigger?
  2. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

You'd be surprised how often this happens to people, myself included. I don't exactly feel like I'm on drugs but instead, I feel depressed. I guess the latter is usually triggered by the former. In any case, you don't feel normal. The answer is simple and logical, actually. You said it yourself - this happens because it's a reminder of what we've given up. Let's hope time will heal the wounds.
    bhu and kana_marie like this.
  3. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

Yes this happens to me often. I sometimes have flashbacks of my horrible childhood and that's when the stress starts to kick in. A trigger to this may be you're thinking too much on something. I suggest you take some time to relax and meditate to try to not think so much.. I suggest you talk about this to loved ones as well because they can help you get over it.
    bhu and kana_marie like this.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't get those at all. Being drunk has no comparison as to what I'm going through now. Alcohol does something to me that cannot be replicated with anything out there right now. Maybe if I sniffed glue or something that would come close, but nah.
    kana_marie likes this.
  5. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I've known a few people that dealt with flashbacks or feelings of deja vu that had an actual physical effect. Everyone's different, but many people will feel the effects of such things at some point. Some people experience this on a regular basis, and others have it happen far less frequently than that. It just depends.
  6. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Being on alcohol and being sober is totally different. I don't feel euphoric or drunk now that I'm clean. If anything I get dizzy if I eat too much sugar. That's the closest I ever want to be drunk again.
    kana_marie likes this.
  7. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

The worst part of the flashbacks i it's never one of those good times you're havig a flashback. It's always the bad parts.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Flashbacks could really be painful reminders for us, but I hope it would not trigger you to go back to your old ways. Don't let them get the best of you.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Thankfully I can't say that's happened to me before. I've been sober now for about 8 years and haven't had that feeling of deja vu or flashbacks like as if I'm feeling drunk again.

Of course I have flashbacks to stupid things I did or stupid things I said when I'd been drunk, but not anything that mirrors the actual feeling of being drunk. I'm thankful for that though. I have zero desire to feel those feelings again, whether it's real or in my subconscious somewhere!
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Flashbacks used to happen to me frequently, in the mornings especially. I would just wake up and feel the need to drink alcohol or smoke a cigarette. I was strong everytime and I'm not getting them that much anymore, if ever.
    Very scary stuff if you ask me. It's like you're living in another world where you don't know yourself.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Flashbacks can affect people in different ways. Mostly they're in the mind and a situation can come up causing you to remember a scenario from the past and the feeling you felt at the time can come back aswell.

A physical flashback is a lot less common I'd imagine, and while it can occur from time to time, I don't think they're too much to worry about for most people.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

No, not really. Seems like maybe you might have some drugs or alcohol in your system still. I usually have flash forwards believe it or not. Things that might happen, may happen, or will happen. It's quite a trip actually. Especially when I meet people for the first time who I seem to know or I walk into a place that I've seen before but had not actually been there accept in my flash forward.
    Someone I knew when I was younger always spoke of deja vu. I never really understood then. The first time it happened I knew every step that would occur. I saw every single thing that was there, identical to that place. I know exactly how this happens, but I prefer not to encourage it. Its kind of interesting to experience.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Battling an addiction I won't name, at times I'd have dreams which seemed to be so real and when I woke I'd feel like I'd actually been using the drug I won't name. Three times this happened and each time, I relapsed. I can't think of any trigger. Maybe just my sub-conscious testing me and failing each time I was tested.
  14. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Back when I was just starting into my journey to recovery, such things happened to me as well. I would feel light-headed most of the time, almost dizzy even. I was so clumsy as well, knocking off things and tripping most of the time. I do know that dizziness is a withdrawal symptom although I'm not sure with the clumsiness. Maybe it's all part of the journey.

Fast forward to now, I don't experience such symptoms anymore. I guess it only takes time and more time for these symptoms to be gone. When you're new into recovery, it's almost inevitable to experience various symptoms. Just make sure that they're not extreme and you can handle them well.

Good luck and take care of yourself!
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It hasn't happened to me at all, maybe because I was never into drugs. I do hope you don't experience such incidents anymore if you are already sober!
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  16. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Well, I don't think that what I've experienced may be considered flashbacks but I admit that I really miss the good ol' days. I miss the time that I spent with my friends during my heydays. Drinking with all friends until I pass out, and come morning I can't move a muscle.

Now, that last part, I don't miss at all.
  17. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

I have flashbacks from other things. When they happen, I stop and focus on being in the now. I take a deep slow breath. Then I look around to prove to myself that I am here in my present moment and not back there anymore. It's kinda like pinching yourself to make sure you're not dreaming, only nicer.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Well, sometimes when I'm really tired and/or stressed I start to feel the same way as I used to when I consumed sleeping pills just for being numb, and it's really terrifying, sometimes those flashbacks makes me miss it, and I think that's the dangerous thing with those flashbacks, the danger of being triggered by them, by yourself and by your own circumstances.