An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Focussing On The Present

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The past is gone and the future always is a long way off.

Most recovering addicts demotivate themselves because they worry too much about the future. Will their attempt to beat the addiction be successful? Can they stay sober for a month or maybe a year?

The better and more effective way to fight an addiction is focusing on the present. All you need to do is resist the cravings now. Once you rob them of their power over you . . . victory is assured.
    Damien Lee, dyanmarie25 and deanokat like this.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

The present is all we have, that's true. The past cannot be undone and the future is uncertain. So focusing on the present is a good way of living each day. You don't have to worry about what tomorrow will bring as long as you try your best to make something good out of each day. Sometimes, it does help to be futuristic, and have a certain goal in life. But really, if we just try to be the best in our present day of life, then we don't have to worry about the future. If you can make it through this day clean and sober, that's a big congrats to you already!
    Rainman, amin021023 and deanokat like this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I guess it is in the Live for Today mode. As the above person right the past is behind us, and the future is yet to come so we will make certain that we live for today. It is one of the things that we can always count on. It is important to make something good out of each day. It is one of the things we can do. Make certain that we need to focus on during our recovery.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I agree. Living in the future, or worse, in the past, is a mistake not only recovering addicts make, but also healthy people who never consumed any kind of substance. They just have to learn not to let the ghosts of distant times haunt them, and enjoy the moment. If everything is good at that time, why worry about the future? Just live in the present and focus on what makes you happy.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I believe that not only applies to addiction recovery but also life in general. If you worry too much about the future and focus too much on the past you can't live your life. You end out missing out on so much. One day at a time and make the most the present. That is the key and so very important.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

One day at a time is all you need to worry about. The thought of going sober for a week, a month or whatever is so daunting. It seems like such a long time and it's easy to lose faith in yourself.

Just promise yourself that you won't use today. Whether you'll use again tomorrow or next Thursday, who knows?Don't worry about that right now, just concentrate on today.
    Rainman likes this.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think that's useful advice. Sometimes I think for many of us, we have a tendency to look too far ahead - and challenges can seem insurmountable when you're looking at them from a 'years down the track' point of view. If you just focus on the present, I feel like things seem a whole lot more manageable!
  8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is a really motivational post, thanks for sharing!
    Unconsciously I think about the future a lot, when I'm having cravings I start to think how much it will take to quit smoking for me and somehow I start thinking that isn't worth it because I won't be able to make it and I end up smoking... I will remember this advice in those situations!
  9. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

couldn't agree more with this thread, we all get lost on our train of thoughts and emotions about the future or the past and ruin the present. as coolkidhere mentioned, if we live the present to the fullest, we don't have to worry about the future.
    Rainman likes this.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that it's important that we don't forget the past, but remembering and dwelling on it are two different things. When we remember it motivates us not to make the same mistakes again. Dwelling on something stops us from moving forward and trying to make a fresh start.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with you. Forget about the past, don't think about the future, just focus on the present. You have only got one life to live and make sure everyday you're here on earth is worthwhile. Stop worrying about anything, start doing something.
  12. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I absolutely agree. This thread is really very motivational and useful to everyone here! We need to always be reminded that your past doesn't necessarily make who you become in the future and most importantly that it doesn't stop life from continuing.

Positive thoughts and a positive outlook on life regardless of the past can only bring a lot of peace and joy in a persons life! Thanks for putting that out there.
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Living in the moment is the only way to live. Period.
    Rainman and lilfaerie28 like this.
  14. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

That is so true! I try to live in the moment, no matter what. I suffer from depression, and it is the same thing, as far as positivity and living in the moment.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

True that it could be a step to step process and it cannot be forced to just happen in a day. Better to live at the present to have more focus and know what you want at the moment.
  16. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

How many times we are our worse enemies? That is why we need to focus on the present, live each day at a time and forget about our worries.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The present is very important to think about especially in the beginning because you have to focus really hard on keeping yourself sober. I feel that it is also important to think about the future too because that is where goals come in and you have to shoot for something in order to keep focus now.
  18. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

So true, we need to live the present and make plans for the future, meaning, leave the past behind, look ahead and positive.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Those are very nice words, you are so right, once you stop craving for it then you have succeeded in your fight against drugs, so even if the path to become sober is long and ardous, if you were able to overcome your addiction, then all the hard work that you put in is well worth it.
  20. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In our life whatever mistakes had happened in the past it happened already and just use those experiences as a lesson well learned that can be your inspiration to live your life to the present. Everyday is a great opportunity for us to live and to enjoy God's blessings to us. That is why we must not waste our time worrying about our future but instead make your present life your stepping stone to reach your dreams in life in the future.