An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Food Addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Mypearl80, Feb 2, 2016.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think that your friend is an "emotional eater", and that translates into food addiction. Food addiction may seem hard to overcome, but with will and determination it could be overcome. Like if you are busy, you are less likely to think of food, so keep yourself busy.
  2. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Thanks Tremmie about looking at Pinterest. I use this site all the time for decorating, party and craft projects, but never thought about using it for healthy snacks. I will check it out. I am working on a list now so by the first of the month I can put my plan into action. I want to increase my intake of dark green leafy vegetables, fruit and smoothies. For snacks I want to get salt free nuts. The only chips I will bring into the house are the healthy ones I find at Sam's Club.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

Food addiction is a serious matter and fall under the category of eating disorders. There are people who cant stop thinking about food and binge eat. It is National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, so a good time to be exploring and learning more about it if you think you really have a problem.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I'd definitely consider this binge eating rather than addiction. It's when someone eats excessively for periods of time. Sometimes, it's due to stress or anxiety. Or it could be a condition in itself, if the person binge eats and vomits the food a while later.

I think that your friend needs to do something to relieve the stress instead of eating. Maybe your friend can resort to doing some hobbies like painting or even sports. Just anything to keep her mind busy whenever the binge eating is about to start.
  5. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I believe there is a food addiction and I believe that I have one. When I eat something that tastes so good, I cannot stop eating it and even after I am done I crave more of it. Yes, food is a substitute for everything I think I am missing in my life but I cannot control it. I have been able to quit other forms of addiction like smoking cigarettes and marijuana both of which I just gave up one day and never went back. Does not bother me, but stopping eating certain foods does. I just cannot stop no matter how much I try and it makes me feel worse which in turn makes me want to eat away my pain.
  6. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

This is one of my hardest struggles of all. I am very addicted to food, to the point I have to exercise a lot in order to feel like I am not losing my health. I have struggled with anorexia 4 years ago, but now I am struggling with eating too much and I don't even understand how that works, but it has happened to me.

I often eat on lunch a portion that is for two people, and I find it difficult. However, recently I've been able to eat less because I've experienced that you can just feel comfortable with being full, you would feel like you can't eat, but the more you eat and indulge in it the more you'd need and would be difficult to stop. I think the way that works is, try eating less for a bit and don't think about food, get yourself busy, it would change automatically.
  7. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

It could be both. I for one would rather take in a food addiction. It does give off a good feeling to eat and especially to eat something we love or crave. It can be bad if it is causing health problems but if the person has a stable income to support his love for food and it is not affecting his health I wouldnt see it as a problem, unless its the other way around then he should get help in order to keep his food sprees under control for his own benefit.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Food addiction may be more of a compulsion, but it is defintely something real. It is beyond the desire to overeat or eat empty calories. It can simply be described like any other coping mechanism, that is negative when over used or overdone. Whatever you call it it is just as real, and can cause almost as many negative consequences in your life as drugs or alcohol.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

People had different thinking to what do they call it if someone is eating too much on different situations beyond their desire to eat. Others think of it as an eating disorder while others think of it as a food addiction. Whatever it maybe we all have different opinions when it comes to this thing which also had different effects to each person.
  10. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I think a food addiction is quite possible. It seems that many people eat to help with depression much like others drink or use drugs. The sad thing that makes it so hard is that we aren't told as much about how dangerous overeating is as we are about the dangers of drugs and alcohol. It is easy to convince yourself that something that tastes so good can't be bad for you. If you have ever watched the show My 600 lb Life, it is pretty easy to see that many people do become addicted to food and end up regretting it and knowing they are slowly killing themselves much like drug and alcohol abusers do.
  11. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I definitely am a food addict. I am in "recovery" right now though but it will be a lifelong battle. I could not lose weight on my own so I chose to get weight loss surgery. I had the surgery 2 months ago and my stomach is only able to hold a certain amount of food and I can not eat certain foods without getting sick. I felt this was my only option but the addictive nature is still there and always will be. Support groups are available and I intend on going to some when I can.