An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Food Addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by kgord, Feb 29, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I wanted to ask those who struggle with food addiction what has been the most helpful thing to them in struggling with the problem. I am planning to undergo a lifestyle change..shortly that I hope will combat it, and I could use everyone's support. I struggle with my self worth though as to whether I am really worth it and I don't want that to derail me. Also, I tend to start cheating after about a week or two when I am dieting, and it eventually derails my progress. However, of course food addiction is not just food but using food to combat inner emptiness.
  2. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Don't be too harsh on yourself in this situation. There are numerous persons who have found it difficult to stick to a diet regime. There is a saying "practice becomes perfect," maybe you could try practicing the gradual exclusion of the foods you would love to eliminate from your diet. Keep it in your mind that not everything you will be able to get right in one attempt.
  3. blenly

blenly Member

I think the key is to realise that you probably aren't addicted to food in general. You are probably addicted to certain sugary, high fat and high carbohydrate foods and snacks. That's what I found happened with me. Be conscious of what foods you feel you crave the most and use Google to see if there are any healthier alternatives that you can buy or make. Generally you won't need to remove anything from your diet completely to lose weight. You can keep things as a one off "treat" or just make sure you are only taking in sensible amounts.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I really think the fatty foods are the most addictive. You should try to eat healthier and you'll feel better. I think there just has to be the right balance between junk food and health food. The junk food should be used more moderately, but your fruits and vegetables more generously. Eating all the wrong things actually worsens the way you feel.
  5. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I know where you are coming from and I am in the same boat as you. I find that it is hard to stick to a diet if I call it a diet. I think if you just think that you are making healthy changes without the dreaded four letter word "diet" it makes it easier to stick with. I am trying to do this myself. There are so many healthy foods that I love and I am not sure why I tend to make bad choices. I also know that I eat to fill my inner emptiness but no matter what it is never enough to fill it. I found this following link on Pintrest and thought I would share it with you.
    http://www.visualistan.com/2016/01/curb-your-cravings-healthy-way.html
    kgord likes this.
  6. blenly

blenly Member

A lot of people struggling with dieting because maybe they loose a few pounds, then go back to their same old ways. To lose weight and become healthier you don't need to go on a diet. Going on a diet means you are doomed to fail because it's temporary. Any results you have will be worthless because you will return back to your previous eating habits.

Instead, we need to realise we need to change our diet. Diet in the sense of everything we eat. We need to make healthier choices and make it a lifestyle, not a fad.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that you should not be hard to yourself and you do not need to make yourself hungry. Choose the healthy foods and consume in moderation. Try to be busy on other things as well to avoid frequent eating habit.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hey, good luck on your journey! Here are some tips I can give you:
    • It's okay to eat as long as it's healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Snacking on nuts instead of chips are also healthier. You just have to find healthier alternatives to the junk food we're so used to eating.
    • Exercise is your best buddy. You will find that exercising can help you fight off the cravings and stay on the right track of being healthy.
    • Support is great as well as it gives you some motivation and inspiration.
    Good luck again!
  9. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Sometimes I find myself in your shoes. I am addicted to certain kinds of food.I try hard and avoid the food for two days.Then in day three I begin to eat that food so much that I almost eat the quota that I missed for two days.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well I have been on the 20/20 diet for 10 day which is a healthy program, and I have lost weight but since salt and sugar are not part of this diet, I have been craving it like crazy. I have been having constant food fantasies of a big Mac and fries. Part of it is the experience of eating it, but just going there to hang out for awhile is fun. I mean I was thinking I could barbecue a couple of hot dogs, which might take care of the salt and be less calories, but I miss the experience of being out.
  11. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

In my opinion, I think @kgord should begin by eliminating the fatty foods and high cholesterol foods from your diet. You could embrace carrots, apples, bananas; healthy foods to fill up; though the emptiness inside cannot be filled up by food. You will gradually stop but you can still have your big Mac and fries once a week; gradually it disappears into the background.

Get together with sensible people; online and neighborly friends and fill the emptiness with companionship; talk, cry and laugh. Life is too short to live without something to look forward to and be grateful for.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Dark rebel I have already been doing that for the past 10 days. Like I said I am following a diet plan which is really pretty regimented and aimed at eradicating these addictions on unhealthy substances in your life. However, it is extremely hard to curb a lifetime of eating these substances with a 10 day, 30 day or even year long regimen. In fact, I think like every addiction this is going to be a lifelong thing for me. I will always have to be vigilant and can never give myself permission to just eat the way I want to.
  13. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

So true, kgord, it is a life long battle as it is with any addiction. Sometimes, it is hard to associate a food addiction as being in the same category as other addictions. I think it does not get enough recognition and people do not realize it is not only about changing your eating habits but also changing the way you think and look at food. When you use food to fill the void, you are involving emotions and that puts food on a different level. People who have an addiction to food have a completely different relationship with it than someone who eats because it is a crucial part of living. Like you said it is the experience of eating the food because we associate the emotions that it makes us feel as we are eating it not just the fact that you are eating something that is unhealthy. I have quit other addictions but this one is the hardest one of all. I am glad that you are seeing results with your diet. Keep up the good work.
  14. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Many people have an addiction to one or more types of food. This is rarely food in the category of vegetables or fruits. Most addictions involve junk food. I have at one time struggled with addiction to soda, sugary cakes and tea. I am currently struggling with an addiction to tea. Luckily tea is not a harmful.
  15. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

You are not the only one. Lots of people have an addiction to food, even me at points. I really hated mine though especially because I would be thin during the summer and a little fatter during the winter and it always goes in a cycle with me haha!
  16. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I have a strong will in general and not a lot of things can make me an addict. It happened mildly with alcohol once but I was struggling a lot those days and it seemed that it was my way of fighting stress. On the other hand I have a thing for sweets. I love chocolate. I even make it on my own. Sometimes I have to take some and mood is instantly better. I also love coffee and that is a real addiction where you feel sick and your head hurts. Your vision is dim, etc. These two are my weaknesses.
  17. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I am a food addict. I am not addicted to any particular food, but any kind of good food. I love eating meat products and meat and fish dishes. I just want to eat, weight and other health complications do not bother me. am struggling to control my addiction.
  18. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Fооd аddiсtiоn mаnifеsts itsеlf in thе unсоntrоllаblе сrаving fоr еxсеss fооd thаt fоllоws thе ingеstiоn оf rеfinеd саrbоhydrаtеs, primаrily sugаr аnd flоur substаnсеs thаt аrе quiсkly mеtаbоlizеd аnd turnеd intо sugаr in thе blооdstrеаm.

Duе tо thоsе unсоntrоllаblе сrаvings, а fооd аddiсt's quаlity оf lifе dеtеriоrаtеs whеn hе оr shе еаts sugаr, flоur оr whеаt. It саn dеtеriоrаtе physiсаlly, еmоtiоnаlly, sосiаlly аnd/оr spirituаlly.
  19. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

We all need foods to eat in order to sustain life and to nourish our body to make us healthy. But we should be eating the right kind of healthy foods and in moderation only. There are really some delicious foods that gives good flavors to our taste that we cannot avoid eating. That is why we should always watch out our eating lifestyle so that we will not be addicted to foods which might give us some health problems in the end.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Aside from keeping yourself mentally and physically active, you might want to try drinking lots of water as well so that you can suppress your appetite, and you in turn start to eat less than before. Good luck!