An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Food addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Nergaahl, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Kids do eat a lot more processed foods than ever before and it is sad really. Instead of taking the time to make a nutritious meal, many parents grab what is easy to make in a hurry, and that usually comes from a box.

Kids also need to exercise more. I was just talking to a neighbor the other day and commenting how you hardly ever see kids outside playing anymore. They constantly have their faces buried in electronic items. Not like it was when I was a kid. We were always outside exploring the world.
  2. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

When I sit down to eat I definitely eat more than the average person. I am not huge at 167 lbs but still I eat an amount that a 200+ lb man would eat.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  3. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

Although I do not think I am addicted, I do believe I lack discipline when eating meals, especially food that I am fond of.
  4. Rosyrain

I think food addiction is something really that many people in recovery deal with too. They often times have to have something to look forward to that is not drug and alcohol related, and sometimes food fills that void because it is pleasing to the tounge.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Parent should educate the children on eating and making sure it is healthy and also the amount that should be enough to feed the body and also it is alright sometimes to indulge but not all the time. Teaching, them to exercise and also taking care of the body is important as children will learn from the parents and also having good role model will show time how to eat and take care of the body. The lifestyle of today and, how the food prices can be higher can cause problems for parents to live healthy and may find it hard to also to stop overeating and not caring about the health
  6. Rosyrain

I work really hard to keep good food around the house and avoid buying garbage. I will sometimes give them junk food as a treat, but it is not a main staple in their diet for sure. I never buy the processed canned meals and hardly ever buy freezer snacks. I also make sure my kids go outside frequently and play with other kids.
  7. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Firstly, I would like to appreciate you for raising a very pertinent point in today's life. Food addiction is a real thing and it stems out of our haphazard lifestyles and not just due to our liking for a particular food. Comfort foods like fast foods, pizza, burger among others contain refined carbohydrates that provide a sudden surge of energy and serve as mood boosters.

People hence readily adapt them but don't realize that they can be addictive. They result in sudden glucose spike in the bloodstream and leave you totally depleted once their effect wears out. The human body cannot cope with sudden spikes in glucose levels and slowly loses its ability to process various foods effectively. Thus, metabolic disorders like Obesity, Diabetes, High blood pressure affect us in due course.

Awareness is the best medicine and yes, parents have a huge responsibility in controlling their children's eating habits.
  8. Rosyrain

I could see myself becoming a real food addict if I did not watch what I eat enough. I quit smoking a few months ago and find that I get bored sometimes and snack just for the sake of snacking. I also really enjoy making food, so it can be hard not to eat sometimes. We live in a society now that is driven by food, and it tastes so good. There are restaurants on every street and junk food galore in the grocery stores.
  9. juno

juno Community Champion

Parents are our first example and they literally create our habits by providing us with food and in the manner in which they serve us. So, it is the responsibility of the parent to provide healthy habits from the very beginning, so that they are instilled in us as we grow up. It is easier to start off healthy than try to break bad habits later.

I think treating food issues with young people, goes hand in hand with offering parenting coaching, so that kids have good support system at home. I don't know of too many places that have a complete set up like that. I found one therapist that works with Eating Disorders and Parent Coaching in Orange County. But that is just one little place.
  10. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

I feel that food addiction is probably the most common addiction in our society today. And, its probably one of the worst because of the long term health risks such as diabetes, depression and much more.

In answering your question, YES I do feel that parents should limit what their kids eat. Just as they should make sure their kid eats, I believe parents should help their children avoid a lifetime of pain and health issues through obesity.

This all being said, I personally have been obese and have been on both sides. My highest weight was 200+ my lowest adult weight in the past 5 years has been 122. Sadly I'm back up to 145 right now but am working on it. I am short so that is defintiely overweight for me.

I am addicted to food and its a lifelong struggle!!
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't think people really deal with food addiction because eating is socially accepted and is legal. However, it does seem to be a huge problem. Obesity rates are increasing and children do seem to be getting fatter.

I think the reason so many people fail to get their cravings under control is because they just try and cut things out without addressing the reasons why they eat too much in the first place. Understanding this is the key to sucess.
  12. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

I definitely think that parents should encourage their kids to live healthy lifestyles and eat well. However, I do think that parents should ALSO partake in the healthy lifestyle to further encourage and facilitate the habits in their kids. Just saying something while doing the opposite is a bit hypocritical. Of course, the occasional splurge or candy bar is always fine as long as calories are being balanced out and the kid is doing some sort of physical activity.
  13. I believe education about healthy choices needs to start from a very young age, and parents need to educate their children about healthy food practices. By feeding children a diet of junk food and fast food, parents are actually encouraging their children to have an unhealthy relationship with food that could last their entire lives.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I completely agree with you! Teaching your kid to eat healthy and to not eat a lot is something that every parent should do nowadays.
    Food addiction really is a problem in today's society! The main issue here is that junk food is so accessible everyone is eating it everyday without thinking about the consequences.
  15. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

I used to know a guy who would eat so much that he would sometimes throw up. The thing is, all his family are fit and it doesn't like like he has the genes for obesity. We used to all tell him that is really so bad for his health and he would run into problems in the future but what can you say. It looks like he is as equally addicted to food as we were to drugs.
  16. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

All parents what to do to what's best for their children but I think a large contributing factor for child obesity are the demands of our current society. Cost of living, the American Dream, and all the after school programs parents have their kids in prevents the traditional time around the dinner table. Honestly, are there any baby boomers around that actually know how to cook a health meal or have the time too?

A working mother or father nowadays often time does not have the time to cook a complete healthy meal except on the weekends. The week if filled with fast foods and instant meals. Governing agency's have take note of child obesity and have made changes to school diets to provide healthier meals and programs. For example the Women Infant Child or (WIC) program has a list of identified healthy food items available to assist parents in being able to provide health choices at an affordable cost.

Video games and the internet are also contributing to child obesity due to inactivity. Many kids today don't get out and play anymore, would rather play video games or surf the internet than go outside. I once asked my friend's son if he wanted to shoot some baskets out on the driveway and he replied "Let's just do it on my X-box, it's too hot to be outside."
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

Parents should not let their children addicted to the foods they like most. They should eat a combination of foods that provide a balanced diet. By eating fatty foods children will be prone to obesity. They should be encouraged to eat a lot of fruits.
  18. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Kids today seem to be less active than kids in the past. There are more options, cheaper foods, more unhealthy foods, and parents who are preoccupied with trying to make a living. I think encouraging a normal exercise routine is a smart thing to do. If you can have kids exercise for 30 minutes a day that's a great start.

The issue with food addiction is something that I struggle with daily. When I've had a bad day. When I don't feel great. I want some wings, or a pizza, or fast food. It's a comfort thing. It's a chemical thing, and it's got to be a self-control thing as well. We have to learn to say no as much as we say yes. That's the first step.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

While it is true that everyone has a different metabolism, that does not need to serve as a cover up for food addiction. Many people who aren't fat are addicted to food and they use their fast metabolism as a crutch.
    Nick W. likes this.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I agree with this. I lost all of my weight by following a strict workout routine and by eating tons of fruit. It really is the best thing you can eat in order to lose weight. I fully suggest eating green apples, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.
    Nick W. likes this.