An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Food Cravings

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Sunflower_Michele54, Oct 24, 2015.

1. I am a person who loves food. I wouldn't call myself a food addict, but there are times when I do eat a lot. People can become food addicts for multiple reasons. Food addictions can stem from stress, boredom, negative feelings, or just having a strong love for food.

For me, I can have addictions to sweet and salty foods. Overall, I believe my cravings for sweets are stronger than my cravings for foods that are savory, salty, or both. My blood pressure is normal on the low end. If I don't eat every few hours, I start feeling sick. This causes my cravings for food to intensify because I just feel so hungry.

Before and during my period, my cravings get even worse. I eat foods like pizza, cheeseburgers, macaroni and cheese, cakes, cookies, chips, Chinese food, fast food, fried food, and more. I try to manage them by eating healthier alternatives to my favorite foods. I try to cook and bake at home if I want something good unless I want something quick.

Have you ever experienced this yourself?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I guess I could say I am too. I eat a lot sometimes especially if I am bored and alone. I can eat a lot and not even realize it. I love candy. It is my weakness. If I buy a bag of it no matter how big or small the bag is I will eat the entire bag. Once I start eating it I can't stop. I could eat all evening long until I go to bed if I don't stop myself.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

When I was younger would eat more then needed at dinner, which was not good for a young person as you need to be active and move the body around so the food inside moves around, and salty food can be easy to get addicted to as it looks nice and appealing to the eyes. Lollies can be nice and also need to watch the amount at times as it can be nice sometimes and there have been times where I had a whole bag to myself, as I was watching a movie and had ice cream and also some other salty snacks with me. Sometimes I try and have snacks before dinner, which can mean I will not be that hungry so try and have the snacks after dinner and can be more relaxed and enjoy myself in the process.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Whenever I get my periods I actually feel nausea due to the cramps so I might not eat as much. I was just thinking of pregnant women and how some might have weird food cravings.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

As a woman too, we understand each other when it comes to food cravings due to hormonal changes. :D
    So yes I can also experience that food cravings and that it not an addiction. Right that there are various reasons why a person would crave for certain foods on a certain period of time.
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Eating food is one of life's joys. There's nothing necessarily wrong with enjoying food and even binge eating once in a while. However, if it becomes a habit it's better to do something about it. Since you're already aware of this and are at least trying to manage what you eat, you're not in immediate danger. If only more folks who suffer from food addictions would look at this the same way.
  7. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Eating is a necessity, but also a pleasure. I've had an eating disorder out of stupidity, I though I was eating too much and decided to eat less and that repression messed me all up. We need to eat with balance to avoid this.
  8. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I'm horrible when it comes to food. Especially when it comes to sweets. Just last night I was craving cake. I know I'm horrible. It's just something I struggle with. I love food!
  9. oportosanto

The interesting thing about that @doatk22 is that many times those cravings result from imbalances from our body, namely calcium and magnesium and therefore we have the urge for such foods. If we investigate this we can balance what we eat and our health.
  10. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Yes. Sweets. As soon as I saw this topic I knew someone else would mention sweets, and that I would share in their struggle. My mouth is already starting to water at the thought of a big bag of candy. Like, say, the cheap bags they sell at the corner store. $2.50 for an hour's worth of eating. Om nom nom...

I'm amazed I'm not an immobile tub of lard by now, I really am.
  11. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

Ugh, like a week before my monthly I eat like crazy. And its never anything healthy! Pizza, cake, cookies, chips and salsa, humongous sandwiches... More pizza. I always feel so bad afterwards, no sick but just mad because I know I'll have to hit the gym extra hard later!
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

There was a time in which I was craving honey so badly, and ate like 10 kilos per month. What can I say, I love sweets, but not candy and such. Lately I have been eating a lot of jam, I found some jars in my storage closet and decided to taste them. Now I don't eat anything but jam. Well, not like I eat so much besides sweets anyways...
  13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When I was still younger I always crave to eat something that is sweet like cakes and ice cream. But now that I am not getting any younger anymore as much as possible I try to limit myself eating this kind of foods because I knew that too much sugar consumption is bad for our health.. Eating something that we always crave is just okay as long as we are eating it in moderation only. We had to watch out that what we are eating are healthy foods that can give good benefits to our bodies.
  14. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I love food too. If I kept all the junk food in my house I would eat it all. What I try to do is keep a bunch of healthy snacks in the house. My favorites are mini carrots, strawberries and cucumbers. I find if I keep fruits and veggies in the house, and not chips or chocolate then I will eat the healthy stuff. But if we buy junky foods then I eat them. I always love to cook, and don't really use processed foods in my cooking. My kids and I also bake together. If you make healthy foods fun, then you are more likely to eat them.
  15. oportosanto

What happened to me was, at meals time I decided I was eating too much and decided to stop while still hungry. A few hours later I was grabbing everything in sight and eating it. I was totally messed up!
  16. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

I get fast food cravings every now and then, and even though everybody knows that they're not a healthy option I can't say no to it all the time. I'm not even hungry all the time, but I still can't stop. There's got to be something with the additives they add to it and all the oil that makes you want more and more.
  17. oportosanto

My stomach is hurt enough not to have those cravings anymore. I might eat fast food once per month or so, I know that if I eat more often I'll be sick, so this is a good incentive to avoid unhealthy food and habits.
  18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am
    I am definitely a food addict and love food. I think you are on the right track with healthier foods like if you can make your favorite foods with less calories and carbs that will help a lot. Weight Watchers is great for that. They have so many delicious and do able recipes. I love chips, and kale chips are really pretty good. Mashed potatoes with cauliflower is good as well. When you are a food addict, chipping away at it and eating healthier is the best thing you can do I think, also more importantly, try to discover the underlying reasons you eat to excess..and try to change those.
  19. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I tend to eat a lot when I am depressed and I also tend to get fat very easily, therefore I must manage my cravings. This is why I've adopted the keto lifestyle. I know for a fact that if I eat any carbs it will get me out of ketosis (and I really do want to lose weight), therefore I eat 6 days a week exactly what I need to. On Sunday, however, I eat whatever I want. I don't get fat this way (it's quite the oposite) and I get to eat whatever I want.
  20. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Like you, I also tend to binge eat at times. But mostly, I love salty and savoury foods. Sweets, I can be addicted at times but not that often really. And I noticed that when I'm stressed or have a problem, that's when the binge eating comes in. So there sis certainly a deep issue or factor to a binge eater. It's not just wanting that certain food for the sake of it, there is something deeper inside that needs to be resolved too.