An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Food Cravings

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Sunflower_Michele54, Oct 24, 2015.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

The only way to go around binge eating is to understand what lead us to eat. Are we repressing, are having other problems in our live that lead us to that? Answering these questions can help us solve these issues.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello Sunflower! Rest assured, the cravings are normal. It regularly happens to me days before my period. I can't stop eating. It's as if I'm possessed by some hungry monster of sorts. However, I understand where this is all coming from. The cravings have something to do with hormonal fluctuations experienced during ovulation period. Don't worry. It's only temporary. Give in to it but make sure to exercise or detox as soon as the cravings die down.
  3. oportosanto

Interesting that you mention the period because I think that those cravings are definitely something hormonal, chemical imbalances that we need to deal with so that we don't hurt our health.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I hate food cravings, and this "addiction" is actually something harder to control. You have to find the root of the problem and overcome something that is basically biological, which is really hard to do. I guess people learn to live with them.
  5. oportosanto

It's hard to control when we are not facing it the right way, meaning, if we try to repress it and control it with our mind we will make the problem bigger. We need to go around that.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Every body has food cravings if there really hungry. What you don't have is what you usually crave the most. Like if you have a lot of other snacks but want a cupcake, you'll be craving that all day. I have cravings when I don't have certain foods around but once I get it I don't want it all the time. I think this is normal.
  7. oportosanto

Yes, that happens when we repress our needs, but we can go the clever way and work around that with healthy food and our cravings and imbalances will go away.
  8. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

I am almost in front of my refrigerator :). What I do all day long is just chew things. I always seem to need to have something in my mouth if I am to function throughout the day. And chewing gums do not count, they have no effect whatsoever as actual food does.
    I eat mostly at night, which is bad i know, but I just cannot help it. :(
  9. I have definitely experienced this, but I would say it is most likely because your body is dependent on sugar and other toxic things for your body. If you stopped eating this you would probably see less inclination to crave these things.
    During times of your period your body craves chocolate because it is high in magnesium which is a mineral you lose a lot of when you flow begins!
  10. mayasupernova

During the flow, especially in the first few days, aside from hormonal changes, I experiences a great craving for food. This is what really annoys me, but I can't seem to help it. I wish that instead of food cravings, I experienced some urge to do some exercising at home, work out a bit more, and therefore, lead a healthier life. But, you can't help it. The brain makes you do these things, after all.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Well, I guess that I have only experienced a similar experience with junk food and sweets, I love them. And sometimes when I don't have something on my mouth like a sweet I start to getting anxious... But lately I'm chewing a lot of bubblegum to fight that anxiety and it actually helps.
  12. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Many times food cravings can indicate a lack of a certain nutrient in our diet. This is especially true for pregnant women. There is a difference in cravings and comfort-eating, however. Eating sweet, salty, and fatty foods as a way to feel better may be more like using food for comfort rather than nutrition.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Why don't we ever crave stuff like carrots and celery??? It would make life a lot easier! It always has to be something that we shouldn't eat or need to really limit eating I should say. Banning any food from your life, is probably not a good idea because you are simply going to eat more of it when you finally do get it.
  14. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

For a long time i had a problem with overeating. I ate a lot of meat and although i was younger i always had known it was not something i should do. Even more, i had a problem to stop eating meat and i wanted to for a long time, since i was a kid. First i could not because my parents wouldn't let me then i got so used to it that i couldn't stop. I really love animals and that was another reason, beside the fact i felt it wasn't good for me, that i wanted to stop eating so much and stop eating meat. I struggled and sometimes i fasted but never managed to stop until two years ago when i realize i can do what ever i want to, that i am strong and more over, i love animals too much to kill or eat them. I just stopped and it has been two years. i feel amazing, i run my half marathons and marathons faster then ever, i am not skinny, i have strength and energy and in general i feel better. Sometimes , on my doctor's recommendation i eat fish meat because he told me that i am too young to eliminate iron. Somehow, iron from animals is more easily absorbed than that one from plants.
  15. sapphire82

sapphire82 Member

Yes. I do have food cravings at times. Basically, I love to eat. I eat more rice than usual but thankfully I don't put add a lot of weight which is attributed to my genes. My father is not the obese type. For me, I eat much when I am stressed out. When I worked as a content writer, I order food from food chains often. It is one way for me to release stress.
  16. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Food addiction is the hardest to kick because you need food in order to live. I'm not saying you have food addiction, but I know the struggle of eating food in excess. I'm a big'ol foodie, but need to watch my intake since I'd like to continuously lose weight.
  17. oportosanto

What you have inside your refrigerator makes all the difference, so why don't you fill it up with healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables, cereals and so on? That would be a big help.
    mayasupernova likes this.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I won't say that I'm addicted to food, but I do have some cravings from time to time that needs to be appeased. I think food addiction can be managed by being busy or by drinking lots of water, that way your stomach will be full and it won't leave any room for food, since water has taken up the space in your stomach.
  19. mayasupernova

You make a lot of sense, but my fridge IS filled with healthy things. Somehow they do not tend to attract me once i open the fridge. Well, only bananas since they are my favourite fruit. I am managing to get on a healthier side these days, with the help of my family and especially my dad, who is an activist for a healthy life.
    oportosanto likes this.
  20. oportosanto

OK, so that's great! You have the fridge filled with healthy things, so if you don't eat them what do you eat? Or do you have an hidden stash of junk food?