An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Food Cravings

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Sunflower_Michele54, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

This is a common experience among people. The thing is, sometimes it's not food that you are addicted to but rather an ingredient in the food like the sugar or the salt. This can cause some serious health issues if not fixed.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, defintely and you need to detox yourself from these foods usually before you can make any serious progress on your weight. At least, that is what a lot of people have to do, some can take baby steps, but eventually the patterns need to change. You are absolutely right.
  3. AnDaughtery

AnDaughtery Member

I am a stay at home mom of two so I kind of get bored hungry all day long. My problem is I LOVE fast-food and fried food, I'm not to horrible on sweets, but I do love snack food like chips and such. This is a problem because my husband is trying to lose weight and its been terribly hard trying to cut these things from my diet to help him with his. I also really really enjoy soda. I have anxiety issues as well and that doesn't help because eating is a way for me to help relax I use it as a crutch, but I am proud to say we have only had fast-food once this week where normally its a once day thing!
  4. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yeah, being at home all day can really boost cravings because it's harder to be occupied without thinking about food. Soda is terrible, maybe you could try to cut on that?
  5. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I totally get you. I have a time when I just cannot stop eating. I just always have to be chewing on something. Then there's another time when I don't eat so much at all. I have not yet figured out what exactly causes me to get such cravings but I tell there has to be food around the house when this happens.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

I can remember when I was addicted to soda. I could do anything to have soda in my fridge without even thinking about any other food. I came to learn later that I was addicted to soda that is when I started avoiding it. Food addiction is common and can have effects in one's life. I know this woman who works in a hotel as a cashier. She is only 28 but you can think she is 40. She never goes to exercise and that has made her add weight. I usually find her eating whenever I go there to eat. Unfortunately she does not seem to realise the effects of adding more weight.