An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Food tastes good again

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rosyrain, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have really started to notice that food is tasting god again now that I do not smoke. The flavors of everything are to due for. Right now I am just trying not to over eat.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't know what to say to that. Were your taste buds fried from all the smoke inhalation? Or was it because you hardly ate because the smoke killed your appetite?
  3. Rosyrain

A little of both I guess, but smoking seems to hinder your taste buds from what I have heard. It is either that or I just enjoy food now more that I am not smoking. Smoking would sometimes take the place of a snack or meal for me.
  4. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

It's weird that people say that smoking decreases what you can taste, because I don't remember ever tasting something MORE than I do now. Maybe you have to quit and get back to tasting things the right way again for you to notice. But since I don't notice now I feel like maybe it doesn't matter much to me. I want to quit, but this isn't the thing that is going to drive me to do it, I don't think. Is there an average time after quitting that people begin to taste things well again?
  5. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Haha! I can relate to what you're experiencing. It's weird, isn't it? I've already gained a few pounds since quitting, but it's not that bad. I can always exercise anyway. I am loving the taste of food!
  6. Rosyrain

I walked 3 miles this morning just to burn off some of the extra calories I am consuming these days. I am trying hard not to over eat, or eat more than I used to as a smoker. I am replacing some of the food urges with a cup of hot tea as this seems to satisfy me. The hotter the tea, the better.
  7. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

I'm not sure there's an average time but from my personal experience, I noticed it just several days after quitting. I think I may have even noticed some change in the taste of food from the first day I completely stopped smoking. I didn't notice tasting less when I became a smoker either. But for me, once I quit, the food really tasted better. It's a bit hard to describe how I noticed it. I think the best way I can describe it is like comparing a regular photo and an HD photo, it's like that but with food. (Sorry for the weird analogy lol)
  8. Rosyrain

Geegee- that is an excellent way to describe it. It really is like you are eating food in HD once you quit. The flavor profiles of foods stands out much more and maybe this is because an enhanced sense of smell. I have noticed that my sense of smell has also improved quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.
  9. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Nice, you were in the same situation as me. I don't know if you use food as the main method to quit like me or you just happen to enjoy food more now that you quit smoking. I guess you are right, your taste buds will be messed up if you smoke too much. That's probably why when I started to use food as substitutes, I would eat something that is either extremely salty, sweet, or spicy. Probably that way, even my broken taste buds would be simulated enough to start enjoying those foods as well.
  10. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Yeah when I quit I started to notice after a week or so that things tasted better. This thread has me thinking, I wonder if there are any food critics or sommeliers who smoke? It seems like it would be a hindrance to the job? They wouldn't accurately be able to determine if something was too spicy or too salty etc.
  11. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

It is so funny that you mention that as, as soon as I quit smoking that was my same thought. I have become addicted to food (not in a bad way though) and the flavours because I was never exposed to it that way - well not in a long time anyway. Just having my taste back was pretty much worth quitting smoking by itself. lol
  12. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That's nice to hear. Smoking has it's side effects and am glad you're back to your normal self.I would suggest you eat in moderation and consume healthy food beneficial to your body.
  13. Rosyrain

It has been hard, but I am practicing moderation in the foods I consume. I am not going to gorge myself and feel gross. It is strange, but I have not wanted to eat sweet things at all since I have quit smoking, it is like my body is naturally just telling me no.
  14. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I also notice that my taste buds had more life to them once I stopped smoking as well. I would always accidentally bite my tongue because I was tasting food more than I ever have in a long time. It's just one of the many good things that happened once I quit smoking.