An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Fooling themselves?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by pineywood, Apr 11, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I have been seeing a loved one choosing booze having control over her/his better judgments. Sigh. Because, of this deep sorrow I feel, I wouldn't resort to drink to numb it. I want to be as effective with sound mind as I need to be in restoring that loved one back.
    pineywood likes this.
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I know of an ancient people, about 5-6 thousand years, in which wine is very much part of their history, tradition and culture. Wine is the symbol of celebration, in feasts, memorial days and victories. They popularized the witty axiom, "There's not one _____ that is drunk."

So, there we go.
    pineywood likes this.
  3. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

First of all, Thank you! I appreciate that :)

I felt nervous about all the things I didn't want to do. There were always things I wasn't supposed to say. People's secrets or what not. I would start to worry about that, or who not to hit on, or whatever.
    As soon as I chugged that first beer, all I was worried about was getting another beer.
    And then after several beers I was saying and doing everything I was worried about to begin with. Lol
    If anyone started something off with," don't tell anyone, but..." They knew it was definitely going to get said.
    pineywood likes this.
  4. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

It sounds like and I hope that you no longer have those feelings of inhibition, now that you have stopped drinking. It is so difficult to live a life being self-conscious and unable to be relaxed around other people or situations. I know, you know the vivacious circle of using alcohol as a crutch for self-esteem. I must say, you really shine here on this forum with your openness and friendly disposition! :)

Oh, keeping secrets. Now, that is a catch 22 situation. I think, I will start a thread on that subject right this second!
    kana_marie likes this.
  5. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I think I echo the sentiments of Zyni. A functional alcoholic is still an addict and even if he manages his relationships well, he puts his health at a huge stake. Once his body caves in, there will be nobody to save him. Terminal illness is not good for anyone. Attendants working on him may have to endure real hard times to serve him.
    pineywood likes this.
  6. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Sure, sure I know, understand the general background on wine in relation to celebrations etc. Very interesting, indeed.

I looked for the witty axiom and became more enthralled and distracted. I do so love learning about past civilizations. I have spent many a hour in libraries before the days of the internet. Hmm. I will have to take a guess (so I thought), as you leave me the looking between 5 and 6 thousand years ago. At first, I thought the Sumerians was where the history of the quote arose, after all we have the pictograph and cuneiform writings. Then, I wondered about the Harappan culture. Hmm. I can not fill in the blank.
    "There's not one _____ that is drunk."

@ EditorsRHumansToo!
  7. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm a lot more comfortable around people than I was back then if I was sober. I'm still not my old self, though. I am fine with me being this way, though. Regarding loved ones its all about quality over quantity! I know that sounds really cliche, but I can't think of a witty, original way to phrase it right now.

Being closed me secretive isn't going to help anyone- myself included. Sometimes i second guess whether or notninshould push the send button. But then I realize the harder it is to push it, the most likely it will be to help someone.
    pineywood likes this.
  8. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Most if not all people who are addicted to something are in denial. They just can't accept it. And this is why this is the first thing that is addressed during therapy. Acceptance is key.