An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

For Those Who Drink To Sleep You Need To See This

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I know that there are some people who drink alcohol every night because it helps them to sleep. And if you do then there is this article I stumbled into which you'll find to be an interesting read:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-21147780
    So though initially it might help you sleep in the end it will make you an insomniac.
    Momma9 likes this.
  2. monty

monty Active Contributor

That's what I was looking for because my father always used to come home very late.All day when my mother used to awkes for my father she always came to know that he is fully drunken and as a result fight starts between them and it affect me a lot.I never feel happy because of their tension I always used to get scold from both the sides.I don't the reason why my father is doing so everyday but I think it could be the reason.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That interesting and the more I think about it, I don't recall having a dream when I was drunk either. It was just waking up and feeling real bad and dehydrated. A few drinks never put me too sleep. I had to be really drunk for me to pass out like that.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a drinker but knew a person who drinks every night and when asked why, he said it helps him feel relaxed and fall asleep. I think this kind of information should be known if proven true so that they will avoid it before reaching that insomniac stage later.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

In the past I heard my husband tell me that many times. He would have a job interview in the morning and he would use the excuse that he needed to drink so that he could sleep because if he didn't then he would be stressed all night. There was always an excuse. He even said that my snoring bothered him so he needed to drink so he could pass out before I went to sleep. Since he has stopped drinking he has been through many difficult times but so far he has stayed strong and not used them as an excuse to drink.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

It does mess up your sleeping cycle. When I spent three to four days drinking every night, the night I didn't drink, I could not sleep at all. Just tossing and turning all night long. By the third or fourth night without drinking, I could sleep again.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

That is why the DT's happen when a hard-core alcoholic goes cold turkey. You do not dream when you are drunk and your mind needs to dream. You are not really sleeping when you have been drinking. I have noticed if I drink before bed, I wake up at 1-3 AM and can't sleep. I have also read about psychological studies where participants were not allowed to sleep or dream and had a similar reaction to the DT's.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

That's scary. I know people have thought to use alcohol to help them sleep, I even thought about it for a while, but I didn't because I knew that was a sure way for me to become an alcoholic again, lol. Glad I didn't, this kind of things are not natural and come with a lot side effects.
  9. Momma9

@L_B my dad wears earplugs to sleep because of my mom's snoring! Much safer and healthier than drinking alcohol. My husband's snoring is getting louder as the years go on, but I am still able to sleep through it. I think an alcoholic can find any excuse to drink. :(
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I agree with this alcohol dehydrates you. The reason alcohol can cause insomnia is because dehydration causes insomnia. One thing I noticed is that if you go to sleep drunk you'll wake up with a hangover. This is the first time I heard of alcohol blocking dreams, it's probably true.
  11. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I was an insomniac way before I started drinking and I guess it is not exclusive thing. It helped me but it made me an alcoholic or on a good way to become one. I still have problems to sleep but I fight it somehow. I drink some natural drops from the Valeriana plant and they do miracle for me. I usually sleep like a baby and they are not addictive so it is basically harmless.
    Momma9 likes this.
  12. Momma9

It is good you found a safe and healthy solution to your insomnia @djolem! I will have to remember to have some Valeriana drops around for when I can't sleep. It is not every night that I can't sleep, but when it happens it is so frustrating. I have young, energetic children so I must be perky in the morning when they get up - usually by 6 AM! :eek:
  13. Zelle139

Zelle139 Member

Yes! That's what I always tell people who have a nightcap. It's really not effective in the long run, and even for short-term use, it's not as effective as it may seem. Just because you fall asleep more easily doesn't mean you're getting good sleep. Quality over quantity, that's really how sleep works. Because too much sleep is also bad for you~~
  14. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Makes sense. I used to wonder how an alcoholic could get really drunk and still wake up before every one in the house. Thanks for the information.
  15. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

This is interesting news, thanks. I have known quite a few persons have sometimes relied on alcohol to put them to sleep. This article is saying, however, that this method robs you of quality sleep, so if someone should constantly rely on alcohol to put them to sleep, then they could be probably hurting themselves.
  16. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Oh my :) Well I have a nephew who likes to stay late and sleep late but when he wakes up everybody is up. He is one spoiled and loud kid. He is up after 11 AM and he is 3 years old. Anyway, Valeriana is very effective and goo. Not only for sleeping problems but with tremors and anxiety or some smaller heart problems.
  17. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I do have dreams when I'm drunk, but there's no way I can go through a whole 8hours sleeping sesion. I usually have some crazy vivid dream and only sleep for around 4 hours. Something I did noticed long time ago is that whenever I drank I would wake up way earlier than I usually do, feeling like crap of course, but the no dream thing doesn't apply to everyone I guess.
  18. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

This has been known for a while, but it is good to see more has been written about it. It is true that alcohol does more to disrupt sleep then to aid it. People using it to fall asleep are creating more problems than they started with.
  19. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I don't think I've ever gotten a good night of sleep after drinking. It's not even a hangover thing. Even when I've drank moderately, I always feel really groggy in the morning. The disruption of the sleep cycle explains a lot.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

The disruption of the sleep cycle gets worse with extended use as well. The more you do it, the worse the problem gets. People will start increasing the amount of alcohol they use to get to sleep not realizing that getting to sleep isn't the issue, staying assleep is going to be the problem.
    deanokat likes this.