An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

For Those Who Drink To Sleep You Need To See This

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Mara

Mara Community Champion

My dad had insomnia and he drank every night so that he can easily go to sleep. But even with the "help" of alcohol, he wasn't able to sleep soundly. He was only able to sleep about 4 hours a day, sometimes even less.
  2. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Interesting article. I'm pretty shocked to see that it works short-term... if someone sees that it has some effect on them, he/she will continue taking more, and more, and more... until he/she becomes addicted him/herself! Too bad...

In this case, without trying to condone it though, sleeping pills would help more without causing THAT much addiction (but it still causes it). All in all, alcohol is bad if taken in large quantities. Don't get fooled by short-term pleasure. :)
  3. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Very interesting! I will let my friend know as he also drinks himself to sleep every night and it has becoming a big problem!
  4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Don't lump all sleeping pills together in the same group. Many of them work differently and are non-addictive.
  5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

This is me in a nutshell. I started drinking before bedtime on a regular basis several years ago as a means of getting to sleep, and my drinking overall increased dramatically as I developed more of a tolerance to alcohol. What sucks these days, is the days that I don't drink, I end up staying up all through the night because I cannot fall asleep at all. I won't finally crash until about 5 am, after which I may sleep for about 3-4 hours tops, before waking up again. After several days I'm usually pretty strung out until I finally have some drinks and knock myself out and get a solid several straight hours of sleep again.
  6. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

I think that's just a temporary fix that will eventually haunt you. It's better to workout during evening, the stress is enough to get a good seep.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Good info. Alcohol should never be considered as a way to induce sleep anyway, because it does more harm than good. If people have difficulty sleeping, then they should just try taking melatonin.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Agree. I think perhaps because after a period of using alcohol as an alternative sleeping pill, you actually become immune to it. Something like reverse psychology. The dependence transforms into utter resilience. Your brain waits for it to take effect but to no avail. Your neurotransmitters become disoriented, making them more unruly.
  9. sclupto

sclupto Member

I used to drink to fall asleep until I noticed how tired I was after a night of drunken sleeping. It couldn't be blamed on late nights or anything of the like, it's simply because you can't sleep deep when you are drunk. Your breathing patterns become irregular and the massive amount of sugar makes you twichy.
  10. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, I agree. It is a false notion that alcohol helps you to sleep. The reality is the exact opposite. That is one of the main reasons why people should avoid alcohol before sleep. I used to drink it but I left this habit and now I don't experience insomnia.
  11. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

This is great information. I don't drink alcohol specifically to sleep but I do drink it and when I wake up the next day, I only feel worse than the night before. So that has never helped me but then again, that's maybe because I drink large amounts right before bed and I half pass out.
  12. WannaBfree

WannaBfree Active Contributor

Very true. I started relying upon sleep aids in the middle of the night because I kept waking up in the middle of the night. I always felt tired the next day and couldn't even nap. I am on day 4 of sobriety, and the first two nights I had trouble sleeping. I slept fine last night, and feel better and better each day.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That definitely does make you think - I remember back when I would drink to fall asleep occasionally, and I never felt like I was waking up refreshed, you know? Even if I would sleep for hours it wasn't restful sleep. So that's really interesting research and it makes sense to me.
  14. juno

juno Community Champion

Alcohol actually makes be drowsy, but I do understand that it can disrupt your sleep. I find myself up in the middle of the night when I go to sleep buzzed. It could be that I end up falling asleep earlier than usual when I drink. However, I love how it helps me fall asleep faster.
  15. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Mаny pеоplе bеliеvе hаving а соuplе bееrs оr а niсе glаss оf winе bеfоrе bеd hеlps thеm tо gеt а bеttеr night slееp, but rеsеаrсh indiсаtеs thаt this mаy nоt bе thе саsе. Аlthоugh аlсоhоl mаkеs yоu fееl drоwsy, it mаy intеrfеrе with nоrmаl slееp pаttеrns аnd impасt bоth thе quаlity аnd quаntity оf slееp yоu gеt оvеr thе соursе оf thе night. Оnсе thе rесоmmеndеd trеаtmеnt fоr insоmniасs, аlсоhоl is nоw thоught tо bе highly disruptivе tо thе slееp сyсlе, with соnsеquеnсеs thаt fаr оutwеigh its sеdаtivе еffесts