An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

For University Students

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by ariana_, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I also have this in my university as well, albeit it's lumped with sexual assault support and others. It's great that we are caring about students that are suffering. However, it's also really important to remove the stigma of it as well. There's no point in having these programs if no one is going to go to them.
  2. stariie

stariie Community Champion

It's a good thing that they offer free services like these in universities, especially for people who've developed drug habits in high school. It's good to catch a kid's addiction when he's/she's in college, as college is a pivotal point in a person's life. "Kids" are learning to be adults (even tough legally, by age, they're already considered adults), but are still under some kind of guidance structure.
    Whether they started doing drugs because they felt it was necessary to perform better in school, or they were under the influence of peer pressure, or were simply in an experimental phase, the fact of the matter is that by the time they're in college, youths are often plagued with addiction. College is a good place to clean up before they get out into the real world.
  3. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with you. While the intention of the school to help is noble, I can't help but think of its effects on the students who are already identified. Hopefully, this is done in confidence. But I've observed there is a thin line between confidentiality and information giving to help out students cope in class during the course of counseling. Now this matter about confidentiality is another issue. But that very issue causes problem as to how much information should be disseminated around because some school personnel believe they have the right to know everything that's going on for them to understand and help better. But their limited knowledge in the matter makes things worse as they tend to judge the students.

I think there should also be a program to help other school staff handle delicate issues such as addiction. This may help them look at the issues in a broader perspective and in the way counselors see it. Or perhaps the school can have a separate entity to offer free counseling or try to coordinate with external institutions where students can be referred to for free.
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that they separate entity idea is the best way to go. It needs to be independent of the school as much as possible, because it's not about confidentiality or lack of, it's about the perception of confidentiality, and I can only imagine that some are not utilizing this service for fear of confidentiality being broke.