An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

For way to long

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Gelsemium, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I went with my mother to an osteopath last week and he was shocked by the amount of medication she was taking, since 2011! He said she was swollen and needed to stop those meds, so the question here for me is, why does she believe everything the doctors tell her? Why don't people get a second opinion?
  2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It's a tragic truth of a lot of people. I think the Hippocratic oath may be partially responsible as well:

"The Hippocratic Oath (Greek ὅρκος horkos) is an oath historically taken by physicians. It is one of the most widely known of Greek medical texts. It requires a new physician to swear, upon a number of healing gods, to uphold specific ethical standards."

Sometimes money comes in the way of ethical standards & can easily create confusion within the doctor/patient relationship.
  3. Gelsemium

Yes, I like the fact that you mention that because I have serious reservations that current physicians follow that oath, medicine these days is disconnected to the patients well being.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can be the doctor may believe these medicines may do well or not and the side affects may affect some people and some people may not have any problems. Sometimes people don't question the doctor or believe if they do, than they will be turned away and don't feel safe asking questions. I reckon sometimes a patient may give a bribe usually happens when the doctor needs the money and accepts the bribe to give the medication.
  5. Gelsemium

From the second opinion doctor I understood that that medication made sense from his specialty perspective, but I think that the guy just wanted money from my mum, that he didn't care for her well being.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

And so it seems that the conspiracy theorists have a point. In my opinion (and experience), doctors just tend to follow routine procedure. They just prescribe the necessary medication according to the book. I guess it's to do with the pharmaceutical companies making money from it. Makes sense doesn't it?
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's exactly what I'd like to know too! I don't begrudge doctors for doing what their jobs require. Modern medicine has actually helped millions of people recover from illnesses but indeed, too much of a good thing can be bad for your health. Modern medicine has its own setbacks and in many cases it has become a money-making venture for hospitals and doctors. Certain illnesses are better healed by alternative forms of medicine such as herbs, acupuncture and therapeutic massages. The sickness-ridden population should start exploring other options if they don't want to feel cornered and financially compromised.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It's probably because people are conditioned to believe what the person in white is telling them.
    When my father broke his leg and it just didn't heal properly, I suggested to him to get a second opinion. But he wouldn't listen to me. He told me that the doctor who operated on him is one of the best in town. But after his leg infections and endless pain dragged on for almost half a year, he finally decided that he wanted to see another doctor, but only to find out that his medical insurance wasn't going to cover him. He was supposed to stay with "his" doctor, as that's how the system apparently works in the country where he lives.
    In the end he ended up paying for a second operation himself, after it was revealed that the surgeon did a botch job with the screws that he put in my father's leg.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it is in people's nature to be trusting of authority, and I don't think that is a healthy attitude. There were studies that showed how people were more prone to blindly following other people if they were in lab coats or wearing some sort of authoritative uniform so it's either we are just naturally this way or there is something wrong with how we are being taught to live.
  10. Gelsemium

They do follow routine, but there's some evil in it because he knew that she wouldn't improve, but that she would return to the next consultation, so he just wanted money and not to cure her.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I am familiar with these types of psychological experiments, seeing as it's one of my main fascinations. I think what you're referring to here is the Milgram Experiment- carried out by Stanley Milgram from Yale University. It was basically a series of social experiments to study obedience to authority figures, such as doctors, professors, police officers, judges and others of similar social upstanding. The experiments show how many people will simply just do as they're told by an authority figure, regardless of their morals, values or beliefs. Many of them believed they were administering fatal electric shocks to their own friends and even when their friends stopped responding (intentionally, as part of the experiment) giving the person the impression their friend may have died from the shocks, they still continued to administer them when told to do so.
  12. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

A second opinion could very well be the solution to our problems. I believe some doctor's are just too much focused on monetary gains that they intentionally fail to inform their patients of alternative medicine that could suit them very well but selfish gains is what makes them hold out on such information.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

My mom has also been wrongly diagnosed with an illness, and the first doctor she went to prescribed too may meds to her. But those meds did not really improve her health in any way. Good thing, she asked for a second opinion to another doctor and that doctor told her that those meds were not right for her.

So yeah, ask for a second opinion if you have doubts.
  14. Gelsemium

That is why we really need to use our heads and to see if the medication we are given makes any sense and what's the whole goal of it, many times we just take them and we don't even think about it.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, that's the one. I don't think it was their friends that they were supposedly electrocuting though. My memory of it might be a bit off, but I think they were all just strangers in a room and the doctor and the victims were actors.
  16. Gelsemium

They can do the experiments and the investigations they want, but in practice I think we all know what is going on and that our best interests are simply not accounted for.