An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Forced rehab

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It seems to me that it would be less costly to taxpayers if those caught with drugs, or for drug related crimes should be forced into rehab instead of being sent to jail. I know that there are some crimes in which this would not be appropriate, but shouldn't we as a society try to push for more help related consequences as opposed to punishment if the person really does need help getting off drugs?
  2. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

While that sounds like a good idea and would be the solution in a perfect situation, a lot of people who are busted for drug use just aren't ready or don't want to quit. Putting someone in rehab who isn't serious about stopping is just going to waste money and hinder the recovery of those who are in rehab by choice.
    I do foresee some changes to drug laws coming as more states legalize marijuanna though, and it will be interesting to see if there is a bigger push for people to enter rehab as the criminalization of that drug decreases.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree with you. Instead of putting these drug offenders behind bars, why not just try to help them out and put them in rehab. As long as they have not done anything like a heinous crime, I think they somehow deserve a second shot at life. Probably rehabs would be able to change them in a good way.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The reason why sending someone who isn't ready to stop using drugs into rehab is because once their treatment is done they'll simply go right back to using drugs. While that to some extent would be helpful for some people, most won't find that program rewarding — it all ends up being a waste of tax payers money.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think forced rehab is a good idea, and they should be monitored after their session, like they have to undergo mandatory drug tests. Then if they fail the test, then they go straight to jail. At least you gave them a chance to change, right?
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It does not make sense that we are so quick to through people in jail and not a dress the issue at hand. If they do not learn how drugs affect them and everyone else, how are they supposed to get the tools necessary to hopefully have a better life. Some people need others to guide them in life and point them in the right direction toward being good and productive citizens.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

They've got drug treatment programs in some prisons. I don't know if they'll get the drug addict to change though because to be honest prison in most cases hardens people. Nonetheless some studies do indicate that addicts who are forced into treatment do better than those who willingly seek out treatment. So maybe drug treatment programs in prison work better.
  8. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I think it is something that should be explored more then we do now, but like Auril said if they really want to keep the druggie life they will not do well in rehab and they could be disruptive to those who are in Rehab and want to quite.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Sending a drug user to jail will depend on what crime they have committed. Just because they have a drug dependency should mean that they avoid jail time if the crime is serious enough.

All drug users should be able to have access to rehabilitation, wether they use it or not is a different matter.
  10. light

light Active Contributor

I absolutely agree with you. It would be less costly for our society. Punishing somebody caught with drugs doesn’t make him understand and deeply regret of his actions but instead makes him believe that has been punished undeservedly. Maybe it would be easier if that person would be forced to go to a rehab center and follow the first steps toward recovery from drug addiction. Studies have shown that treating good and giving love to somebody who has hurt himself or even somebody else without punishing but offering help, will make him regret about his actions. This way the chances that this person becomes an addict in the future are minimized and everybody benefits from another great human being.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think in here, that will be costly than the other way around.
    Maybe those pushers should really be in jailed and the users could be in the rehab. Except for those who had committed crimes.
  12. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I think it may produce mixed results. While some discover the succor provided by rehab and like to redeem their life others may not like the idea of being thrown in forcibly. They feel threatened of their existence and their discretion and freedom being disregarded.

I don't readily subscribe to this idea but would like to leave it to medical professionals to take a call on this.
  13. avneet

avneet Member

Most of drug addicts need to be forced to move in rehab's because addiction somehow stops them from thinking in a rational way. So this may prove helpful to them.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

You cannot force somebody to go to rehab. If they are found to be distributing drugs, then law can take it's course. I think jail is another form of rehab. In my country inmates learn how to be carpenters, mechanics, tailors, electricians, etc. When they get out, you find that they become responsible people in the society.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Very good point. I have just been reading about this very thing. Justice and the consequences of punishment are essentially sadistic. It obviously doesn't work. Yes, rehabilitation, reform, and education are the best way. Even with other crimes. Yes they need to be taken out of society for something but being abused is not going to make them a better person to eventually live in society.
    It makes no sense to throw a drug addict in jail. Force them to live with withdrawal and treat them like a criminal. Its fuel for more bad behavior. They could come out even more inclined to do worse things, especially living amongst people who have done worse things. Reform in a kind way by far will have a higher success rate.
  16. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

If offenders were helped to kick the habit in the first place, there would be far less reoffending. Less work for the police and more public funding for other areas. Some compromise between rehab and jail defintely needs to be developed.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think If a person hasn't committed a serious crime they should be able to get into rehab. It would save tax payers money if they didn't just throw people in jail over drug offenses. It would also make more room for people who commit serious crimes to go to jail instead. I think that Americas prison system is way too over populated anyway. Drug addicts need help.
  18. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

As a previous poster said, this sounds like a wonderful idea, but the idea of rehab is that the person is ready. Forcing someone into rehab is only going to create resentment and it wouldn't surprise me if it made them want to act out and do drugs more. If they are not ready to quit, there is no quitting.
  19. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I think that'd be a huge step in the right direction. I know in some places they offer the person caught with drugs rehab, and if they don't want to go they go to jail.
  20. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think forced rehab should be for people caught with drugs or using drugs. On the other hand, drug pushers, manufacturers and drug lords should be put to jail and should also undergo rehab. Those people who are addicted to drugs but don't necessarily push drugs would need rehabilitation more than jail. They need to undergo treatment and counselling. They need to be seen as persons who committed mistakes in their lives and that they can change. So rehab would be a more appropriate place for them.

On the other hand, drug pushers need to be punished but most of them are users too, so they need to be rehabilitated too. There has to be some programs inside the jail the reform them as well. They also need to be punished for trafficking drugs and rehab alone won't work for them.