An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

forced treatment?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by MyOCDisMild, Jan 10, 2015.

1. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMild Member

I imagine this is unconventional and in some way, wrong...but are there any programs that a person can be forced into? My uncle has been in several treatments, from my understanding, but he's left them all. And because of his previous actions, half of my family refuses to contribute any funds to have him placed in a shelter while the rest of us are hesitant or just don't have the money to spare.

He needs a shelter that will take him away from the hurtful environment that he's in, and hopefully could help him find his feet so that he could be self sufficient again. I think a big part of his problem is that he has a lot of friends that live in low income areas, so it's easier to find and acquire his drug of choice, crack cocaine.

We tired to have him placed in one shelter that was promising, but one of their requirement for low cost fees was that he be admitted when he was actually under the influence. He disappears whenever he smokes crack because according to him, it makes him paranoid and nutty, so we can't exactly place him there as he's never around. The only time I actually see him high is when he's smoked pot, and then, he's just mellow, and they aren't serious about weed smoking (?) than crack...

Either way, I think he would be resistant to treatment. He claims he wants to be clean, but I'm not sure I believe him anymore. He seems to like being the person that he is now. He doesn't work, the family pitches in to make sure he has food, and his friends supply him with drugs...so I'm drawing blanks.
  2. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Sometimes forced treatment plans are the only way to actually ensure that people will attempt to get clean. I know that my mother was forced by the court to do out treatment AA meetings which she barely went to, but I honestly believe that if she was forced to go to an in treatment place for a month or more, that maybe she would be clean to this day. It didn't help her at all. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it's a waste of time. It really depends on if the person truly wants to get clean or not, because if they don't truly want the help then they'll resist it.
  3. I think forced treatment probably does not work for most people. The reason I say this is because I feel people really need to be ready to accept change in their life. That is hard to do if someone is making you. But then again, maybe it is the push some individuals need to get the help that they need.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Forced treatment is relatively common here in the UK, we refer to it as being "sectioned". It is part of the Mental Health Act where people can be detained at a psychiatric unit if they pose an immediate risk to themselves and others. It is often enforced when people "freak out" after using drug or drinking and can be a good way to encourage people to admit they have issues. However, these people are often on their own again once they are discharged, with little support so it certainly isn't a "cure-all".
  5. 003

003 Community Champion

I think that this kind of treatment has less of succeed rate. I'm not saying that it's not going to work, but if one isn't really willing to be treated, then how is he going to fight himself? In treatment, you are not battling with someone else, but you are rather battling with yourself, your greatest opponent. So what should happen is that they get disbanded and the unity between myst have to be destroyed.
  6. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I don't think force treatment is actually helpful. The willingness from the victim of drugs has to be involved as well. Otherwise, they will have the tendency to feel like they are being entered in a mental facility. I have a friend who experienced that.
  7. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

In order for anyone to get better they have to actually want to improve. Otherwise, they will return to their habits regardless what treatment they had. Forced treatment may be helpful to an extent and only by making the addict realize they have a problem. If they see how they are hurting themselves and others then they're more likely to at least try. That's what we see on the show Intervention; the family sits down with the addict making them listen to the impact the addiction has made. If the addict realizes they have a problem then they can make the choice to accept treatment.
  8. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with most of the posters in here. Forced treatment isn't helpful at least not completely. The most important part of healing is the addict actually acknowledging that there is a problem and agreeing to solve it! I have heard of situations where people where forced into rehab and when they came out they just went straight back into their addiction!
    blur92 likes this.
  9. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

You can't force someone to do something they genuinely won't want to do. They'll pretend; they'll put on an act. Then when they get out they'll fall back in the wrong crowd and that leads to relapses, intentional or not.

I think the only way forced treatment would help is if your entire family is at an intervention. I mean, come on. If your entire family thinks it a problem, then obviously you need to re-evaluate yourself and then take their "forced" treatments.
  10. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I agree, forcing someone to treatment is something complicated because success will only be achieved when we want to be cured, if we don't want it we will never make it.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Forced treatment doesn't work. Maybe it would be good to ask him what he would like to do. I am going to say he likes all the attention the family gives him. It probably makes him go into it more because of the attention. Leave him alone, let him do what he wants. Turn the cheek a little and see what he does.
  12. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

In my region, it requires a first class magistrate's permission to detain an individual and send him to a mental asylum. Forced treatment can be given, but the individual must be certified harmful to the general public by a medical board or a registered medical officer and the same should be forwarded to the magistrate for approval.

I think such a procedure is only just and acceptable.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, in my country you can arrange something like that. I have heard of so many families forcing their sons or daughters to go rehab, they basically take them to that place and they are forced to stay there. Some of them are practically forced, not sure if this is allowed in the US or Europe though. But in my country it is an option. Sometimes it works for some people, sometimes it does, but it's all about trying.
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think forced treatment should be used as the last resort when everything else has failed and the person in question is spiraling down way to fast and is heading directly to their own death. In that case I do think forced treatment is a good idea, but I don't think it is a good idea under a different circumstance. It's always better the addict accepts he or she needs help and is willing to change.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

Forced treatment is common in the US, particularly with drunk drivers. I'm not sure how well it really works. Many people just go through it to avoid jail and get there license back, but do they really stick to it or does it help them recover in the long run? I think that can only happen if you truly go into it with an open mind and the understanding that you need to change.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Forced treatment can still yield great results of sobriety. Sometimes as someone else said, it's the only way to ensure people are safe and being cared for.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There could be times that forced treatment will be necessary like for someone who have mental condition and got addiction problem. But getting treatment voluntarily of course is more likely to be a success since the addicted person is helping himself. IMO
  18. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

In the UK we refer to "forced treatment" as "sectioning". It can only happen if, I think, two or more psychiatrists believe you are sufficiently mentally ill that treatment on a closed ward is necessary. Only the courts can issue a sectioning order, and it is almost always only for a very brief time. It's not an ideal situation, but it might be needed in certain circumstances.
  19. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
  20. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

True. But if it's about to die of dehydration, you can sedate it, hook it up to an IV line, and hopefully keep it alive until it can see the error of its ways. Horses normally do drink when they're thirsty though; it's us stubborn humans who're usually the irrational ones :)