An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Forgive Yourself

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Mypearl80, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mypearl80

Mypearl80 Member

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” Mahatma Gandhi
    If you are overcoming addiction, you may need some kind words. So I am here reassure you that you are strong, you can forgive, and you can grow. You can rise above anything because you strong. Because you are a strong person, you are able to forgive. Forgive anyone, including yourself, that has hurt you or offended you in anyway. The past cannot be changed, but you can change the way you feel about it right now.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Mahatma Gandhi is one of the biggest thinkers of all time, that quote is so strong. Forgiving yourself is the best way to feel good about yourself and to start making good decisions. If you hate yourself you're prone to bad decisions, substance abuse, and many other things that only bring harm to yourself, to your body and also to others.
    Thanks for sharing!
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I forgave myself for what I did in the past simply because all my past experiences and memories have shaped me into the person I am today. You can't go through life without failing or making mistakes, the best thing you can do is to learn from them and move forward.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with you. You can never move forward in life if you haven't forgiven yourself yet. You have to accept that you're just a human being, and you have committed mistakes, and ruined things in the past. But that doesn't mean you don't deserve to have a much better life now. You are still capable of changing your ways, and starting all over again.
  5. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Sounds words, leave it to Mahatma Ghandi to come up with such meditational quotes. I also think it takes a person of strength and courage to forgive. Forgive and move on its the best solution for all.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Healing speeds best if you learn how to forgive the people who've hurt you as much as you forgive yourself for letting your pain get the better of you. If you understand where you're coming from, then there's no need for you to walk on the path of destruction any further. Forge great bonds with other people, hear the stories of those who've had it worse and take part in a meaningful undertaking, you'll realize that there's more to life than wallowing in misery.
  7. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

That's important as well. Clinging in to the guilt can make things worse. Being able to forgive makes us 'free' and we are less overwhelmed by the negative thinking. However, just as we forgive ourselves we must forgive others as well. That way our minds are going to stay at peace.
  8. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

So true, everyone makes mistakes and everyone is capable on getting over it and starting a new life, where you will not make those mistakes again.
    Making those mistakes and forgiving yourself for making them, as it is just a step in life you need to take in order to learn, will make you conscious of the fact that some routes are the wrong routes to follow. And you will be led towards the good path.
  9. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

I find forgiving myself to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. I can forgive others much faster than myself. Some days I think I have forgiven myself, and then I will have a rough day and I am not so sure. It's a daily struggle, and I hope to one day move past it all. I think that if I keep trying to move on, I will be ok eventually.
  10. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, you really have to love yourself. Sure being great and forgiving others is awesome, but that's not why parents forgive kids, friends forgive friends, or lovers forgive lovers. Love is an important part of the process. You can't forgive yourself if you hate yourself. So, the way forward is by loving the person you see in the mirror. Love everything about that person, even the quirks, because that person, that reflection is going to stick with you for the rest of your life, so might as well love it.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Don't ever consider yourself a culprit or a sinner. No matter what you had been in the past, you should always love yourself. Self love is more important than loving other people. If you had a bad past, you must try to justify that you have already left your bad self.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Ah yes! Absolutely! Forgiving ourselves and not feeling guilt or shame for our past is important. I try and always remember my past as something that is a learning experience, rather than something I need to continually feel bad about. Time has certainly made that concept easier to accept!
  13. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

Forgiving yourself is sometimes harder than forgiving others. Sometimes we are abusing our own selves mentally too by not forgiving ourselves and replaying all the bad stuff we did over and over in our heads. Would we be friends with someone that kept reminding of us our failures and past and the things we did in the past? If not then we shouldn't treat ourselves that way either.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Holding grudges are not really good for our emotional well being, so it's really best to just let it go and forgive the person who has hurt us. It may be hard for some people, but time heals all wounds.
  15. DN02

DN02 Member

Totally agree! You are more than your past mistakes. We all mess up sometimes - accept the past, let it go, turn the page, show yourself some compassion and move on. You're so worth it!
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The only way to move forward with your life, is to let go of the past and forgive yourself for what you've done in the past.

While you should never forget, after all your past as made you who you are today, it's important not to dwell on things too much, as if you do that will affect your future.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well it is one thing to forgive yourself, but sometimes you do need to pick and choose with other people. The company that you keep will have a considerable impact on your life.
    I've always been forgiving of other people the majority of my life. There has been rise to the kind that leave you no choice but speak your peace and walk away. Unless you are trying to run for a political office or have some need to please every person on the planet. Your well being could rely on choosing where to draw the line. Everyone has the right to decide who they associate with. Forgive, walk away, and be civilized, that is the right thing to do. Toxic or harmful people are better off kept at a distance. Gandhi was a public figure. He employed non-violent civil disobedience. Ghandi died by assassination. A shooting. There were five attempts before that. Do you think that statement he made about forgiveness helped him then? His assassination was more about what he took a stand for. I think it takes more strength to be civilized and walk away. You don't have to be everyone's friend. I'm not sure I've ever seen that statement about forgiveness from Ghandi.