An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Former addicts who inspire me

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Porkncheese, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Porkncheese

Porkncheese Member

There are two guys who inspire me; Russel Brand and Steve-O.

I find it motivating that these guys defeated drug addiction despite being rich and famous.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

i like russel brand too. never heard of steve-o :)
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Dominica... Steve-O was in the "Jackass" MTV series and movies.
  4. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Right!, I know the only thing that kept me alive was being broke most the time lol
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

Man this is no joke...my dealer cut me off on more than occasion.
    That's a serious problem. Us regulars on this site are all lucky to be alive.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  6. True concern

True concern Moderator

How about Eminem. He got sober and has been for awhile,a few years ago he received his 10 year chip.All that money and fame and still has the will power to say NO..Thats inspiring
    cheffy likes this.
  7. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

That was stupid me for sure.
    cheffy likes this.
  8. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Joshstillclean when I went out of town, my dealer called to check on me since he hadn't heard from me. I don't know if he was concerned or missed my money since I always bought large amounts. Many times he didn't have enough that I wanted and he owed me.
    cheffy and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  9. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

And don't forget Sherlock Holmes - addicted to cocaine (see 'The Seven % Solution) o_O:):D
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

There are many non-addicts and one addict, a genius that inspired me the most. The non-addicts gave and supported the most historically successful recovery model to alcoholics and other drug addicts, which is Judeo-Christian and is over 2000 years old. Mahatma Gandhi, a non-addict also followed this Judeo-Christian model.
    cheffy and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  11. cheffy

There have been many times that I've tried to change or model my life or at least live it by acknowledging a non-addict's beliefs and way of life, but it just never ended up making sense to me. I think the addict vs non-addict mind to me was just too different, too wide to wade through, too wide for me to close the gap. Or maybe I was trying too hard and getting into too much detail with it all. I don't know.

The REAL people that touched my mind were mostly musicians and artists. At the top and reaching through the clouds was Charlie Parker. He picked up a horn one day and literally changed the meaning of jazz. He was so selfless about it all that you'd think to yourself "what a stand up kind of guy". He died early on from a heroin OD. And riding right along with him, his co-conspirator in the creation of Be-Bop was Dizzy Gillespie. He was relatively straight - smoked pot but never the hard stuff. He had this outlook on the whole thing like "life is short and we can do this music thing, so let's create some beauty for the rest of the people." - that was always at the top for him. He was always smiling, and not because of drugs.

The other BIG influence for me came from Gustav Mahler. I probably listened to his Symphony #2 (Leonard Bernstein conducting) 1000 times in high school. The very first time I heard him I said to myself "this guy is talking to me. He's really talking to me". I finally had to stop listening to it because it absolutely spiked my depression. Listening was a very emotional experience. I haven't listened to it since (it's been like 40 years), but I'm going to try going back soon. He was, famously, deeply depressed and that clearly came through in his music. Like Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie, he inspired me not on the drug front in any way, but to forget about the drugs and listen to the music, any music, and find out what it has to say. The whole drugs/no drugs thing with all these people was in the background - just part of the creative landscape for the times. My music since has always reflected that. It became a whole different way to play for me, to listen, and to compose. I'll never be able to thank them enough. It gave meaning to the music.
  12. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

That's great @cheffy music really is a gift that we discovered thousands upon thousands of years ago. I have no doubt some things about music were lost. It's amazing the stuff we knew about music raising dopamine and making us feel good has been proven by science now. Really cool stuff. Even the bible talks about Angel's singing. Gift from god no doubt. I feel sorry for people who are deaf I couldn't imagine that.
    cheffy likes this.
  13. cheffy

I've always told people that if I had to choose, I would rather be blind than deaf. Vision seems to limit the emotional experience for me (if you have vision only) but with sound it seems like you aren't really limited so much.
  14. Bullwinkle

I mostly connect with those in the arts, because from childhood, I was a performing artist, along with writing music, so many in the fine arts inspired me.

The addict (alcoholic-junkie) genius that inspired me, who I met in the AA fellowship was an MD, and a fine (non-professional) jazz pianist. Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis and many more cats knew him well, not for his musical talent, it was because he was doctor feelgood.

During the 60’s, I frequented the Greenwich Village jazz clubs and saw the greats, but I was to young to see Charlie Parker.

Living in greater Los Angeles, i.e. Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, and being in the entertainment business along with being a member of the AA fellowship, I’ve known 100’s in various areas of music and film. I believe that some artists become addicted, because between gigs, it’s emotionally painful not working, or they’re obsessed with not getting another gig. Also, relationships can be difficult, because their work is their top priority and everything else is secondary. Picasso was an example of this, as was Einstein.
    cheffy likes this.
  15. cheffy

I noticed your reference to Joni Mitchell somewhere too in a post - one of my all time favorite artists in the truest sense of the word. I don't know why I say artists and musicians. Musicians are artists just like all the rest - Artistry in Rhythm, like someone's album or tune in the back of my mind is named. Maybe I mean it in a more formal sense. I shouldn't differentiate though. Joni Mitchell to me is like 'Artist' with all these surrounding labels like musician, painter, writer. That sort of thing.

It sounds like you did some pretty great things as an artist and being part of the whole art scene. I do regret not staying with the music thing when I was young. My jazz improv teacher took me aside one day and told me I should be playing, and offered to set me up in NYC with the jazz guys he knew. That was like the nicest thing that could happen to me but it also scared the $hit out of me. NYC on my own, none of my friends around to lean against, that just wouldn't work. But I still do regret it. My mathematics has served me well though, I got married, had kids (2), and never wanted for work. I have done some pretty cool things with that degree too. And I have to say, bringing my two magnificent kids up with my magnificent wife were easily the very best years of my life. Even with drugs and alcohol.
  16. Bullwinkle

This is recovery……..We are stardust We are golden And we've got to get ourselves Back to the garden…. Joni Mitchell

One of my favorites also. Her instrument and vision, was misunderstood by some, but not by the jazz greats she collaborated with.

Math as I know you know, is related to music, i.e. divisions of time and fractions.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    cheffy likes this.
  17. cheffy

My first job out of college - mathematician for the DOD at the Pentagon, a think tank for C3I (Command, Communications, Control, Intel). Two weeks into it I asked my boss, a math PhD from England, why he chose me (I was pretty naive at the time) and he said because you also have a music degree. I was pretty happy about that.
  18. Davers

Davers Community Champion

Ill read the reply's soon but wanna say .

I'm Super Proud of Robert Downy Jr.

As I woke up in other peoples house on 2 different occasions , lucky I was not Shot. !
  19. Davers

Davers Community Champion

That's what likely saved me to as I did construction & lived check to check until I quit drywall , then if I could scrounge up $10 or more for a bottle of Vodka or a case of natural Ice ( the strongest beer available at 5.9 %.) and a pack of 'Basic brand cig's.

Mo $ Mo Problems . o_O '