An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Found out significant other is abusing Prescription drugs

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Faygo1224, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

Hi everyone. In my previous post I was wondering what drugs my boyfriend might be abusing. Initially I thought it was heroin but later found out that he is actually injecting oxycontin which is nothing more than pharmaceutical heroin in my opinion.

Since I know now, I find myself wanting to confront him. I am afraid to do this however as I know how bombarded someone can feel when confronted with something like that.I am in a position where I feel like I have to because his life is going downhill quick but then at the same time, don't want him to be upset with me for confronting him.

What are some things that I can do to help him? Honestly, in my addiction ,the only way I recovered was holding myself accountable for my actions and that was after people confronted me. Is this a good idea? Or should I leave it be?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Maybe you should talk to him about it. It's better than just letting him kill himself. You care about him then it's the right thing to do. It's not like your abandoning him or something. Helping your boyfriend to break a dangerous habit is what a good girlfriend would do.
  3. zoesamantha

zoesamantha Member

I would confront him in the most gentle way possible. If he sees any critique (or if there is anything in what you say that can be misconstrued as that), it will be instant shut down. If he thinks there is any judgement in what you are saying, you're not going to get very far. Don't use 'you', and make sure that you're aren't accusing him of anything, or even wandering in that direction with your speech. You need to make sure you keep his walls down in order to get him to open up to you about what he is struggling with. Remember - don't criticize, don't point fingers, don't blame. You have to keep it neutral and gentle. Love really conquers all... open your heart and try your hardest to empathize with him.

Good luck, lots of light your way.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

You say that you don't want to upset him by confronting him. Sorry but you can't beat around the bush here. This is serious stuff which you cannot pussyfoot around. Imagine if the people who confronted you had chosen to say nothing as they didn't want to upset you. Would you still be in that same place now? It's clear that they had to do some pretty straight talking to you and it seems as though you'll have to do the same with your man.

@zoesamantha gives some great advice about choice of words. It's entirely possible to talk to someone about these things without being confrontational.
  5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

If you really love him and care about him you cannot just sit back and do nothing.
    I agree with those above me who have suggested you make it gentle and do not criticize. Confrontation about it doesn't have to be tense or hard on him but merely a show of concern. Do not be over emotional, try to stay matter of fact while still letting him know your concern comes out of love for him.
    It's not easy and I am terribly sorry for what you are going through and what you may be facing.
    I will have you lifted in my thoughts and prayers as you prepare to deal with this.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

You should definitely confront him about it. Try to keep your cool, but then what? You also need to be thinking about what you're going to do in the meantime. Are you going to stay and help him through it or leave? You should be thinking about this because he needs to get help obviously. I wish you the best this is very, very hard. I went through the same situation and honestly I couldn't keep my cool. It was heartbreaking. But thank God he's clean from it now. I wish you all the best and hope it works out for both of you.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that it maybe helpful to talk to him personally. Make it a conversation which is showing your concerns and love for him. Let him feel that you care for him a lot and what you want is for his own good.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You may try to talk to him about this, but not directly, as he might feel like you are attacking him. Mention the subject, or tell him your addiction story (assuming that you have one), and he will most likely confess it to you. But do NOT confront him directly, he will feel insecure and hide from you more.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

You really need to confront him so that his addiction will not get deeper. The earlier you can intervene it, the better the chances of him recovering. You should start with talking to him gently, and letting him know that you are not there to judge him. Ask him if he has anything he wants to talk to you with. If he does open up, listen to his side first. Then you can suggest some solutions for his problems. I hope it goes well for both of you.