An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Free from the coughing!

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by singingintherain, Sep 30, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

One of the best things about quitting smoking for me was leaving behind the nasty cough.

I didn't cough a lot generally, but as soon as I had a virus or influenza I developed a nasty cough. I was always very worried it would develop into bronchitis. The cough would keep me up at night and make the time I took to heal even longer.

It's really unpleasant to be sick again currently, but I'm so thankful that I'm not coughing constantly! For all of you who are quitting for Stoptober I thought I'd let you know another of the benefits :)
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Congrats for finally kicking the habit, smoking really does not have any health benefits whatsoever, so you're better off not smoking at all. My bro tried e-cigs before but it didn't work on him and he's still smoking frequently since high school. He's now 38 but no complications yet. Only time will tell when the consequences will happen...
    singingintherain likes this.
  3. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I think the most important thing for a smoker is to keep trying to quit. Even if you feel like it won't succeed - one day it just might.

I hope your brother is able to find a solution that works for him one day! As you say, only time will tell if there are consequences.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Actually after that attempt he doesn't want to quit anymore, and he still keeps buying packs of cigarettes, so if he doesn't want to change so be it. It's his life, right? He can do whatever he wants with it, for better or for good.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Stoptober? Is this yet another one of the infinite tries that society does in order to give people motivation to quit? Now, seriously, you don't have to give up on your addiction just because of the month, day of the week etc., but to get your own motivation if you want lasting effects.

And congratulations for your achievement! I also have serious lung affections and that's why I quit. My cough was not too loud, but my chest hurt when I did so. Now it got better, even though the pain is still there.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Congratulations on your achievement! I wish that my partner would quit but I don't see it happening anytime soon! I am glad to hear that you are feeling better and got rid of that nasty cough. I know when my partner gets sick and he starts that coughing it just sickens me to listen to it.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

That has to be a relief not coughing all the time. I think if you didn't quit this could have turned into a serious issue. This is really good that you made a smart decision. Once you develop a cough who knows what will come after that. Nothing is better than being in good health. This is probably one of the best benefits of quitting.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When I first quit for a few days I found that my cough got worse for the next few days, but apparently that's just a way of your lungs clearing themselves.

Waking up and not coughing is certainly one of many advantages of quitting smoking.
  9. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Hahah that's great! Whenever my BF used to cough, I'd just... really wished he'd just stop already. But it felt kind of rude to be angry at someone's physical sufferings -- even the self-caused ones!

Oh well, he did quit smoking tobacco, so that's good -- and good for you too! :D
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good for you and it is really nice to know about that. True that there are various benefits one can get from not smoking anymore. Just like having healthier lungs and body.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Coughing is one of the worst side effects that comes with smoking. I really wish I could fix that, but I don't think I'm ready to quit smoking just yet. Another ugly and unpleasant thing is when you spent the whole night at a party where you had to smoke another brand of smokes, making your throat hurt like hell.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree with you about that feeling of just being able to breathe well again. When I was a smoker I felt like I would get every respiratory illness under the sun. Any cold or flu that was going around would be something I would pick up - and I would end up coughing so much sometimes I wondered when I could steal a breath!

Right now I can't remember the last time I had a respiratory illness or major coughing session!
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I get so worried every time I hear my fiance coughing, because he has been smoking for nearly 12 years now and every month that passes by I feel worse and worse. I thought the e-cigarette option was a good one, but not anymore... lots people having issues with that device :(
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Oh boy, tell me about it! After I quit smoking and drinking I could finally sleep at night without an hour-long coughing session. I can also run a lot more than I used to.