An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Free or unlimited is not worth it.........

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Just because its free or unlimited doesn't mean its a good idea. Drugs, alcohol, or whatever it is. Use your noggin'.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well people who suffer from the disease of addiction basically don't have a choice in the matter, it is akin to a compulsion. It usually takes serious intervention to free someone from the desire to use. if it was as simple as "use your willpower" there would be many fewer addicts in the world.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think places that have a happy hour or similar set up where you can drink as much as you want within a certain time frame are dangerous. I know that it's a business ploy to reel people in, but I can't help but feel like it's irresponsible. Sure, the establishments will likely say that it's up to the individual and knowing their limits, but that's the problem - as addicts we DON'T know that, we can't just stop at a realistic amount most of the time.

Also, I feel like places like that really do encourage things like binge drinking, which is super dangerous in my opinion.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When it comes to addiction they couldn't care if it was free or if it was expensive. They will use regardless of the cost. When my husband had no money he always managed to find friends w/o epilepsy his way or lend him money. He always managed to get what he wanted.
  5. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Right. Regardless if it's cheap or expensive, just say no to drugs. Although, depending on your social circles and circumstances, this can become quite challenging to accomplish with all the pressures.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Also, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  7. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

If something's free, there's always a reason for it. There's always an angle.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I agree, free and cheap does not always mean that it is good for your or that you should even use it. I can walk into a hospital and get a prescription for free because insurance covers it, but I don't because it is not healthy for me to do so. You have to use common sense.
  9. HalfBeard

Also, how many drug dealers offer a "free sample" to make someone an addict and thus a repeat customer.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Everything comes at a cost. Even if it's not money, drugs cost you your sanity, health, time and relationships with others. And money cannot get those back, rich or poor, the fate is the same.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree. Don't fall prey to these substances. Anything that is used/abused too much is never a good thing. Learn how to practice self-discipline.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that anything in excess is bad. I agree that in addiction, it usually does not matter for them if it is for free or pricey as long as they can use or have it. That is why some are even stealing just to get what they want.
  13. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

I agree with you. The fact that something is free does not mean that people should scramble over it. I have witnessed some of this cases in my home town. Sometimes i even wonder where this world is heading to.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This is absolutely relevant where I live. When Mephedrone (MCat, Kat, Drone, Meph, Meow Meow) first hit South Wales it was still legal and was literally being given away free in the bucketload by local dealers. You didn't have to pay for it. People thought because it was legal and free and showed no signs of neurotoxicity that it must be completely safe. How wrong they were. Many deaths have been linked to Mephedrone and it has now been made illegal in the UK. It is still, however, the second most common illegal drug in the UK and it now costs money whilst many people are now addicted to it.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People can often be blinded by the fact that if something is free or easily accessible then they might aswell have it.

This is also the case with drink and drugs, and I think a lot of the time people will be offered them without having to pay.
  16. HalfBeard

It's far easier to give in to an addiction or try something new when it costs nothing.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's so true, drugs and alcohol are both harmful to our bodies in general, so we are better off not even trying them.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Really? They were treating it like samples at the cosmetic counter it sounds like. Kind of evil. Seriously slimy behavior.
  19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Watch out for the "free lunch". Even if you don't pay with money you will pay in other ways. If some people can't say no to drugs you have to pay for than how much more so than drugs given out for free?
  20. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's the time of the year when almost everyone is extra generous which can be a really tough time for recovering addicts because they'll have people offering to buy them something. The fact that they'll be getting some free alcohol or some other drug can be enticing enough to make them want to start using again. It doesn't matter if it is free or not. Think of your goals, why you decided to fight the addiction and stay strong because even though you might want to convince yourself that your new year's resolutions will stop you from using drugs ever again because you'll only be deceiving yourself. Most people don't keep their new year's resolutions.
    Adrianna likes this.