An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Free or unlimited is not worth it.........

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Dec 20, 2015.

1. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

What do you mean by free lunch.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

What I really mean is " there is no such thing as free lunch." There used to be a practice in bars where all you had to do was buy one drink and you could get "free lunch". Though the food was so salty it would make you buy more beer.

Besides, it cost money to produce drugs and someone has to foot the bill.
  3. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

The fact is that once anyone is addicted, it doesn't matter if it is free or expensive. The addiction is the only thing that they would be able to think about. So I don't think the price really matters here. Even if it is free ot if it costs a fortune addiction is addiction and there woulf still be addicts.
  4. PingPongCall

That's......actually pretty genius.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

For people who have no self control free or unlimited spells disaster. It's always great to get something for free, but you have to know when to call it quits. Unlimited drinks or drugs sounds like bait for addicted customers. I think sometimes you have to read between the lines. Everything has to be done in moderation, when it comes to this there has to be a limit.
  6. Joyner

Joyner Member

Agreed. You should always despise the free lunch because there is always, ALWAYS another way that you pay for it. I always believe what is offered for "free" is dangerous. People will always come back for a return on their investment. Eventually. It's better to evaluate why you want something, and certainly better for your reputation for others to see that you've earned it. And if you work for something, you're less likely to work for something that is not in your best interest and that will do you harm. If something is free you're less likely to evaluate it by these methods.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yep, and if the wedding reception or party includes an open bar,,,if you are still in recovery...it would be best to avoid the reception. I mean if if no one means to the pressure to drink is going to be there, and the temptation would be just too great.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, so many social settings are not conducive to recovery. I made a choice not to drink a while ago. No problem with it. I purposely avoid certain social settings because I don't want to be around the drunken nonsense.
    There's alcohol here and there around me. I've no desire for it either. Eating properly kind of clears that urge up.
    This girl who only eats raw vegan. She doesn't drink at all. She'll go and put red grape juice in a wine glass at parties. Makes her feel like she's participating and nobody knows the difference. She's happy like she's drunk cause of the way she eats. Plenty of ways around it.
  9. PingPongCall

It's weird thinking of life as having to be careful about where you go to avoid triggers like that. It almost seems like something laughable and I truly hate having to be that way and see other people in that position as well.
  10. PingPongCall

In fact this entire forum is kind of depressing. Reading about other peoples problems on here makes me feel bad for caring about my own.
  11. Joyner

Joyner Member

Don't feel bad. I think it's important to overcome your own in order to become a more productive member of society. How else can you expect to help others if you haven't dealt with your own? I don't think the forum is necessarily depressing because it's meant to be a supportive community. I for one am grateful for it. It lets you know that you are not alone. And there are some really nice discussions going about how to overcome addiction for good.
  12. PingPongCall

No, it's great having a place like this to talk. I just know that my problems are my own fault and reading about so many issues that are beyond peoples control makes it a bit tough to care about my own.
  13. Adrianna

That's funny. It was they did. Put the salty chips on the bar or offer the free buffet. There are some things that go hand in hand.
  14. PingPongCall

I know, it's like the perfect money making combo breaker.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I couldn't agree more with you, a lot of people tend to consume more and more things while those things (in this case, substances) are free, because we don't really feel the financial pressure of an addiction, and the last thing that it comes to our mind is how that action will be a problem for our physical and mental health, people should think about this a little bit more before acting.
  16. Adrianna

This is a good way to look at it and it's true. There is no return on drugs even if you have your receipt. Sanity, health, time and relationships. You said it all right there. It is like the cost of being with the wrong person. The only thing you get out of that is realizing appreciation for the right kind of person. I guess people can learn what it's really like to be on top because they've been at the bottom with drugs.
  17. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

True enough there are buffets for alcoholic beverages. I know because we usually frequent an eat-all-you-can restaurant and they offer free alcoholic drinks in one package. And for an alcoholic that can be quite an offer they cannot resist, unlimited food and alcohol, who can say no to that?

But it's important to know your limits. Sure, you might have the bargain in that setting but when it comes to your health, no bargain is ever worth it. With all the food you consume plus the alcohol, who knows what can happen to your body.
  18. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

This is so true! Now that I'm relatively sober, the thought of how much money I wasted on various drug escapades horrifies me, but at the time the cost of my addictions was the last thing on my mind. It's just another reminder of how much addiction strips us of our faculties and reason.
    anorexorcist likes this.
  19. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I agree with you. Most of the time it starts with friends that offer drugs for free but they eventually move on or disappear. Then you are left with a drug addiction and no home or money.
  20. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok Member

I don't think this is a very useful topic. You're telling people they are stupid for over using something which is not what we are here about and isn't going to help anyone. Sometimes people get a 'taste' of something and addiction kicks in. Its the cycle of not being able to stop that is the problem, not the person.