An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Free or unlimited is not worth it.........

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Dec 20, 2015.

1. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I agree, free isn't always good. If someone has an addiction to something, no matter cost, they will do what they need to do to get it. When they do not have the money to get what they usually use, they will get or use whatever is available to them. Free around here usually gets you a dose of "overdose" or other damaging health issues because of the extreme measures people are taking to make or grow the drugs. Things are being cut with other chemicals that are harming them. Also, they are using whatever substances are available to them to get that high. There was a recent incident in Tennessee, where some teens used racing fuel with their Mt. Dew to get a high.
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Exactly. It's never a good idea no matter how it's packaged or presented.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It's actually quite useful if you think about it. Unless you are one of those that is big on offering things for free with, another agenda. You see no matter what you do in life free always seems like it's so cool no matter what it is. But when you get to a certain point and you realize what comes with that. I mean sometimes with innocent things, it could be ok. But for the most part, not so much. You see if someone is recovered and fully sober. If someone offers for free or the opportunity arises. They might just give in. Like the free lunch comment here. Sometimes the price you end up actually paying for it is higher than if you actually dished out the money yourself. Good friends and people you know, different story. But that free lunch comment I think sort of fits the whole concept.
  4. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

This is the way many are caught out and enticed into trying something they have never done before and certainly don't need. Once it has got them interested they will be willing to pay once it is no longer free and unlimited! In many instances they end up paying with their life!
  5. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I believe that free or cheap is a lure to get people to try something and get them hooked. Who does not like to try before you buy anything including drugs. If it is a new dealer, they want to show people how good their wares are to turn them into potential customers. It is all a ploy marketed at people who want a good deal without thinking about the consequences. Unfortunately, addicts do not see it as such since they need the product too badly to think properly.