New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Free rehab programs worth going to

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Brem, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Brem

Brem Member

I have always wondered this. Is there any legitimate free rehab programs to go to? I figure there are many charity funded places, and some that require health insurance of some sort, but what about completely free? As in anyone can walk in, ask for help and receive it?

If not, I really wish someone would actually make a free rehab clinic. It doesn't have to be glamorous like the ones the acting stars go to for help, but just a simple place to go for help when one needs it.
    Mommiesbabies likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

EditorsRHumansToo! and Joseph like this.
  3. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

That would be real nice if someone could make a good decent free rehab, where patients could walk in and get free help, that would help alot.
  4. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Most of the ones in this area seem to be faith based, which is fine. Also, the ones I've looked into that were "free" seem to be more along the lines of fellowship and AA. By that I mean a weekly meeting style. I've suggested a few options to a friend who I'm trying to help and he refused to consider anything that was faith based in nature. I'm going to check out the link from Jen Sonshine above - the substance abuse center.
  5. camsdad

camsdad Member

A free rehab center would be a great thing to have around. I've fallen pretty hard in the past and when looking for help my only options were AA or research studies that tested medication for alcohol craving control. I really wanted help but being the person I am I couldn't handle going to meetings and having to get a sponsor eventually. I'm not knocking what anybody else is into. It's just never been my thing. If there were free rehab centers around then that would be my first and only choice. I've always felt that if I could afford rehab, maybe my attempts in the past would've gone a lot smoother.
  6. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Best of luck Camsdad. Did you look at the link that Jen Sonshine posted at the top of the thread. I spent about an hour clicking through it trying to find some options to suggest for my best friend. I think he's at a point where he's open to suggestions. I sent him the link the other day but have not heard back on if he's looked it over.
    camsdad likes this.
  7. camsdad

camsdad Member

I haven't yet but now that you've mentioned it I'm going to. I hope that you hear from your friend and that he's uses the advice to his advantage.
    Mommiesbabies likes this.
  8. Clipper

Clipper Member

Hi, our church has 2 rehab centers 1 for men 1 for women. They are completely free no questions asked. We will also help in finding work and employment plus other areas of your life to help you on your way. I do not directly know of anyone who has been in program& I have never used it, but it is always good to have people come back & give their testimony of how they came through the addiction & have moved on with their lives. All FREE I suggest you look into a local church

Attached Files:

9. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Member

My friend you are correct. A society which doesn't care enough to provide such assistance obviously doesn't care enough about it people.
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

So, if a friend of mine needs free or low cost rehab, how does he know whether or not he is eligible? Are these government things where the income levels would be similar to other public assistance or are there some with a sliding scale or something? He doesn't qualify for assistance, but he can't afford rehab either. What to do for people stuck somewhere in the middle?
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice to know that there are totally free rehab programs on various areas there.
    In here, I have not heard or aware of those kind of free rehabs. But I know there could be some support group from non organizational organizations and religious organizations.
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Support groups can be very good, but sometimes more is needed. It's good to know that there are at least some resources available to the under-served.
  13. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

That would be nice as long as they don't compromise on the quality of services they are providing. A free rehab clinic would be a step in the right direction as it would provide help to those who can't afford to pay in other clinics.
  14. dolittle94

dolittle94 Member

I'm sure that there are some out there. Believe it or not, some people actually want to help people without a price tag attached. Granted, I know that sometimes these types of clinics do need funding in order to continue to help people, but free rehab clinics are out there. You just have to actively look for them.
  15. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I believe that if I really needed help and I could not afford treatment, I would not let the faith based issue get to me I would just go for the treatment since I am in need.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  16. Michelle

Michelle Member

The program I went to is 100% free. They don't ask addicts to pay, nor do they take any government subsidies.

The concept is that we've been "takers" for a long time, and only "giving back" will work. It has business schools -- moving company, catering, a restaurant, college marketing -- where we learn marketable skills. The profits from the schools go into the "kitty" and are used to upkeep, clothing, food, and "walking around money."

There are no professionals there. It's just a bunch of ex-addicts and ex-cons who have gotten clean through the program.

It's for hard-core addicts and alcoholics, and most of us have been in prison more than once. It's drastic, and it's a minimum of two years, but it will change your life.
  17. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

There are some programs that are completely free - but you really have to dig and shop around to find one that is really worth the weight as far as treatment is concerned.
  18. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Recently, a radio presenter started a campaign to raise funds to send a few people to a free rehabilitation clinic. Listeners were asked to send in the names of their loved ones who can use the help. I am still waiting to hear the success rate of the program. We all need help sometimes, that is a good vision you have there.
  19. RobertNick

RobertNick Member

Talking to some of my companions encounters, some of them had being in free medications and high cost.
    High cost projects incorporate a strict detox system, medicinal and mental observing, they continually show you approaches to overcome addictions and generally of those paid projects you have to stay while you're in treatment and they just permit you to see your family once in a week, dissimilar to free or minimal effort projects, were you typically are allowed to go to your home, additionally individuals in this sort of medicines doesn't essential is asked to leave their fixation, they just get halfway backing from authorities. There are some free ones that do this too tho.
  20. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Free rehab places are offfered inthe UK but there is always a waiting list for them. This is not always good for people, by the time their place comes up they have sometimes lost the will to get clean and then the program isn't a success. There are plenty of centres who will accept someone immediately but they are very expensive and out of the reach of families on low to average incomes. There are occasions when an addict is detained under the Mental Health Act and placed in a secure hospital whilst they are waiting for a rehab bed to become free but this is rare and not always a good option.