An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Free rehab programs worth going to

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Brem, Oct 13, 2014.

1. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That is so amazing that there are free resources for programs. That makes me so happy to hear about. People who have drug problems, a lot of them don't have the money to spend on treatment. There needs to be free resources out there for all sorts of people.
  2. dsprice13

dsprice13 Member

the unfortunate dilemma here is that we are in a consumer society where monetary value is placed above social value, whether this is consciously done or not. So the government, charities, or non-profits that either have to or chose to put society above money are left with scraps as resources to use in their mission and goals. To have an effective free or low cost option, we'd need to massively restructure our society and it's values.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm afraid those who can't afford a paid rehab program will have to look search very hard for a truly free program. Those are hard to find, and once you find them it's so hard to get into them, because most of them are run by the government and you nee to meet certain criteria. This is why we have so many addicts in the world, because not everyone have a family who care about them and has the money to pay for their treatment.
  4. jwmann2

jwmann2 Member

Free rehabs often don't have the expertise to treat dual diagnosis issues. That's where they fall short. The most well known in the US are probably Faith Farms in Florida and the Salvation Army treatment programs which a lot of homeless a struggling addicts will go to. AA meetings just simply aren't enough.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I really hope you can find free help that is good and caring. Everyone who has a drug habit needs help. Most cannot afford the expense for treatment. Society should be providing more centers for people.
  6. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

This is really interesting.
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I wonder the same thing sometimes too. People who become addicted tend to spend all their money in acquiring those substances. So when the time comes for them to get clean they have no money remaining. I think free rehab centers should be as frequent as homeless shelters.
  8. jtasgirl1970

jtasgirl1970 Member

I am a resident of North Carolina and in answer to your question; to my knowledge, there are exactly NONE in this state. I have been fighting to get much needed treatment for my son since he was 14 years old. He struggles with anxiety, depression, kleptomania and drug addiction. We have been through at least 10 ER attempts, I petitioned to have him committed, was granted petition, he was assessed at local mental health agency as suicidal/addict/delusional and within an hour was dropped off in front our home with a pamphlet. Broken and helpless he is now going on 21 and will spend this birthday as he did his 16th and 18th, in prison. I pray and spread word in my county every day that someone please address the nonexistence of mental health resources here. The effects of this are plain to see, the huge number of citizens here jailed for drugs and violence is unreal. Then rest can be seen living in masses under bridges and shelters. Sick and hopeless these people need someone to care and teach them how to live. Why do we continue to ignore something that affects the entire community? Senseless..
    Drug free world likes this.