An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

freedom from substance

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kgord, Dec 5, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I was just wondering, because people don't talk about this much on here...how long have you bee "sober" or away from your drug of choice? I gather that most people on here are struggling some, but are more or less straight now. What has helped you the most if you are recovered?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have been sober for one year and a half. I mean, last time I got drunk was then. What made me stay like this was the determination of leading a better life and becoming a new person. I have learned about the dangers of alcohol and wanted to break free. And that's exactly what I did.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

that is great. I hope you have found this group to be a support to you. I think that is great to have a caring and non judgmental community of people like this that can help you with what you need to learn. It is a way to get the help and support you need to continue with a great life choice.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never used drugs before, but I was sort of a heavy drinker before. Right now though, I have already became a social drinker, and if I just really want to, I can already abstain from alcohol. I know now how to control myself, and my urgings.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

After years of unsuccessful attempts to beat an addiction this year, I got the support I never had and it made a huge difference. I've been few months sober. I know there's still a long way to go but at least I've made some progress and hope that as I continue resting the cravings day after day, eventually I'll be totally free.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've been drug and alcohol free for a number of years also now, and I think that's why I probably enjoy writing on this forum so much, because I've been through a lot of what others have on here, and some of which people are still going through.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well its funny you ask. I'm right now into 8 months time of changing eating habits to raw vegan. This website talks about how you should stay away from what you have an addiction to. I am currently living with family who eat what I am eliminating so it is around me. Just tons of junk food, meat, and bread.
    Foods have chemicals and addictive agents in them. Even cooked foods are something that we get addicted to. What's interesting is. I seem to be building more will power having it around than when not. I'm not going to say its easy. But it seems like it is more effective this way. Once and awhile I picture an addict living with the drugs they want to kick. Would seem like torture and make no sense. Sort of funny because one would not do that to themselves if they were serious about stopping. But its like if the urge were to strike you and no one would know. You might be tempted. Its way easier to kick something when its not in your face and you may not have any kind of real will power.
    Drugs and alcohol, I've just worked around it, with it. Seen quite a bit. I would be the bartender eating her salad and drinking a ton of water while a customer would come out of the bathroom with cocaine on the front of their shirt. Watching a dealer get drunk every night. Undercover cops coming in and looking so out of place you can spot them a mile a way. Asking stupid questions. I haven't worked as a bartender, and believe me the money is addictive, I haven't worked in it in about 13 years.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The last time I smoked cigarettes was last 2010, and the last time I smoked weed was last 2001, so it has been a while since I smoked any harmful substances. I was never addicted to both, so I guess I'm doing pretty good.
  9. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I've been clean since around August this year. That is after years of struggling and fighting to improve my life, but never really committing to it. What helped me was a few bad events in my personal life, that resulted from substance abuse, which then served me as a wake up call. Now I am looking towards the future and trying small steps at a time.
  10. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I've been sober 3 years and that's because I got saved. Jesus Christ changed my life.
  11. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I used to drink a lot when I was young and I mean a lot! I could not stop and always got drunk when I went out. This went on for years. Then I stopped altogether for about 20 years. Now I enjoy a glass of wine or two on the very odd occasion. I can't say it it once a month because it is not. I have a few drinks when I am on holiday and with family over Christmas. I am in control and know when to stop. Buying alcohol is something I do about once a year. It is really about knowing why you need to fill such a void in your life and overcoming that.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

7, almost 8 years now! I think the biggest thing that has helped me is just setting goals and realizing that those goals can't and won't be achieved with a lifestyle of alcoholism. Sounds simple, I guess, but it's what helps keep me on the straight and narrow, and keeps me motivated to stay that way.
  13. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I've never really been an addict. I stumbled upon on this site and found it quite interesting. I enjoy giving advice to those who need help.
  14. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

This comment may not go over very well but i find it unnerving that there are people on this site giving advice about addictions that dont have addiction problems. Thats like going to a plastic surgeon when you have had a heart attack. I dont get it. Ive been battling my disease of addiction for thirty years and some of you people get on here and sound so out of touch with the problem some of us our facing. Addiction is a serious life threatening disease which left untreated will kill you. Some of you need to find another place to voice your opinions.
  15. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I have been sober for so long now that it feels natural. The willpower that I have gotten from this experience is priceless. Getting off any addiction at all for a period of time, no matter how short or long, make us more of super heroes. It shows that there is nothing we can't achieve once we put our minds in it.