An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Friend addicted to opiates

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by Carnold23, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I have a friend who is addicted to oxycotin.
    He started out as a casual user. But then he progressed. He has graduated to stealing from his family, he has abandoned his child. His looks have changed dramatically and I believe his health has been impacted.
    When we were kids we were very close. He was always the first one to call me when I got home from school and he always had the best snacks at lunch time.
    I hate to see him waste his life like this. I hate to see him throw away precious time with his son.
    What are some ways I can reach out to him? I know that if I accuse him or demand he won't do anything to help himself.
    I want to be a good friend like he has always been for me.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is hard to watch somebody you care about destroying their lives. It is hard to help him if he doesn't see that he has a problem and you don't want to push him away either by accusing or demanding. Maybe when you feel the time is right just sit down with him and talk to him. Tell him what your concerns are and how you feel. Be there for him when he needs you and continue to be his friend.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You don't need to accuse or nag. You've noticed changes in your friends physical appearance. It's a good enough reason to get close to him, find out if he is willing to talk about his addiction. Since only someone who has realized he has a problem would be willing to fight his addiction, the best you can do is offer advice whether he admits he's using the drugs or not and let him make his decision. Don't nag him because it won't help.
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Opiates were my drug of choice. I was taking vicodin regularly and I still struggle. If I come in contact with someone that has any sort of opiate pain killers, it takes everything in me to not steal them. As an opiate addict, I didn't feel like I had a problem. I am going to say that it's safe to assume your friend has no idea he has a problem. He's probably so stuck in denial that it doesn't appear to be an issue to him. I would try to delicately bring it up. If he gets angry about it, I would leave it alone and let him know that if he ever needs someone to talk to that you're here. It's hard to accept, but a drug addict will not seek out help until they are ready. Sometimes pressuring them into talking about it will make it worse.