An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Friend starts a new relationship and all the sudden

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by stats, Aug 11, 2018.

1. stats

stats Member

they are the worlds healthiest people.

My friend was in a abusive relationship and addicted to adderall. She is a huge people pleaser , has depression . I can't believe a word she says anymore because she either lies or is scared to tell the truth and avoid conflict which hurts us both.

How do addicts become healthy once they start a new relationship?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@stats i'd say it would take time...and a commitment to counseling and "doing the work" emotionally... if she's not willing to work through the underlying issues, she may not be able to have a healthy relationship. and, it may be necessary for you to set clear boundaries... is your friend willing to deal with these things?
    deanokat and lonewolves like this.
  3. stats

stats Member

That is the thing she hasn't fixed her underlying issues but is desprate to put on a perfect face.
  4. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do except support her recovery (if it doesn’t effect your own health). In AA/NA, they recommend not starting a new relationship until you’ve been sober for roughly a year. I’m sorry your friend is struggling right now, and I hope she’s able to see that she is worth so much and deserves to find peace.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.