An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Friends at fatal risk..

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by BayouBilly, Oct 5, 2015.

1. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

Some of us have had friends who passed on because we did nothing about it. To those who have not experienced that yet, I can only say that it happens. And you will regret it every time the thought of their existence with you crosses your mind.

Never leave things to fate.

Never feel like you are encroaching into someone's personal space.

If you're truly their friend, you will do everything in your power to get them help.

Every day I wake up, grateful that I'm living a sober life again. Yet, I am crushed knowing that I've let down someone that really needed my help. I wish I could turn back the clock to change that person's life around.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

It is a tricky line to walk - helping as much as you can, and knowing when to step away.

I've been in that situation and I did my best. I still regret not doing more to this day, but I know that I couldn't force him to go to rehab, or to stick with recovery following rehab. I'll always wish I did more, and yet at the same time I know that I needed to look after myself - or we would both be ruined.
    BayouBilly likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many people aren't sure that the help they offer can be accepted. Hesitation gets you nowhere. The only way to find out if your friend will be receptive is by actually talking to them about their addiction. You never know, maybe all they've been waiting for is someone who can convince them that drugs aren't good for them.

It's always advisable to do all you can and only take a step back when you are 100% sure that the addict will not change.
    BayouBilly likes this.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

My best friend was like this. She pursued me into recovery and supported me every second of it. I am really grateful to have such a caring and loving person by my side, and I will do everything for our friendship to be healthy. Also, she quit drinking in order to make me feel like I'm not alone in this! How cool is that?
    L_B and BayouBilly like this.
  5. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

That's very cool :) I'm glad things worked out for you.

The really best friends are the ones that love you like they were your family. In most cases, friends like that are family. And she even sacrificed her own drinking to help you out. That's just awesome :).
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

@BayouBilly I have never really had a family, so I consider her as being my sister. She was such a kind human being, I was living on the streets when she offered to help me after hearing my story and let me live with her. Then she told me that life would had been a lot easier if I quit drinking and supported me as much as she could. I was so lucky to have met her. I think she's the only person I really love.
    L_B likes this.
  7. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

But sometimes, addicts will refuse any help. They can not be helped unless they choose to let others help them. If not, they will jump right back into their addiction the minute they are out of rehab.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

This is very true. It is difficult to help somebody who doesn't want to help themselves. I have seen it time and time again, somebody goes into rehab and the day they get out they are right back at it. They have to want to do it for themselves.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more with you. If you have already noticed that something's going wrong with your friend, or your loved one, don't ever hesitate to offer some sort of help to him/her. Don't wait for the time when it's already too late. Make a move, and reach out to that person as soon as possible.