An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Friends?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Addicts who still have some sense left in their heads would surely heed this advice. However, the ones that are deep into addiction would probably think, "I do love myself, and since I crave for more drugs, then I would surely feed that need, since I love myself!" lol.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have always trade friends with a lot of respect and I am loyal to them. I only have a few close friends and I prefer this to knowing a lot of people that I really do not know at all. My friends are like my family, always have been and always will be.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I didn't think about this but it may actually work. I'm a person who likes to keep his word so I believe that If I make a promise to someone that I care about I will strive to do what I promised in the first place. This idea may be a great fit for me.
  4. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Indeed, I have the same "problem" it makes sense to a degree we're built for making and valuing connections with others. Still, it's important to learn how to treat yourself well, too.
  5. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

thats such an important piece of advice. and you rarely hear it from anyone. Only in situations like this will someone tell you. I think it is really important if you want to be emotionally happy. Unfortunately, as important as it is, people forget to do it until someone tells them.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I agree with both of you. Treating myself well is something I’m still learning how to do, really. I thought I’d got it down before, but recent events have showed that I’m still very, very prone to self-flagellation even when it’s not at all warranted. That and I don’t always know myself as well as I think I do. I’m trying to look at getting to know myself better, and learning to treat myself well, as a sort of playful adventure, but sometimes that’s actually more difficult than it sounds. Goes against my usual behavior, hahaha.
  7. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I know what you mean by its more difficult than it sounds. I have tried so many times to see in me what other people see. I have such a hard time, its like I have blinders on whenever I try
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I hear you there. I still struggle with that fairly often. I’ve reached a point where I don’t hate myself or anything, not like I used to. But it can still be difficult for me to see or believe that people think I’m pretty great, or why they do. Certain situations haven’t helped with that. It’s a process, it really is.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

I love love life and that is why I value it. I will not do anything that can harm my body. I came to realise that drugs can really harm my body and at any cost I want to avoid drugs.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hahaha, that is so true, sad, but true. I have the same mentality when it comes to my sugar addiction, I'm working very hard on at least cutting my intake of that stuff, but it's hard. Loving yourself and being a responsible adult who thinks about consequences can be tough, specially for a drug addict. Being your best friend can be tricky, because since you want to be yur own best friend and you are deep into addiction this might push you even deeper.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

You really do need to love yourself before you can love another person and this includes friends. We all need someone in our lives, but unfortunately it is more a take relationship when it comes to addicts. They take whatever we as friends give them and do not return the favor.
  12. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

You have just hit the nail on the head. One common problem with addicts all over the world is the fact that they do not love themselves. That makes them miserable and they turn to drugs as a means of escape.
    Like it has been stated, if you really love yourself, you won't do anything to harm yourself. You would watch what you take in to your body.
  13. serenity

@Tremmie, I think that's what differentiates people from addicts. If they know what is good for them then they will certainly avoid it. If they can't avoid it and it's too irresistible for them even if it's bad for them, then they clearly are addicted already.
  14. Tremmie

But almost anyone can become addicted, you know? Sometimes even if you know it's bad for you... still find yourself doing it. I know because that is how I slowly became addicted to controlled meds and so on. Sometimes it happens and is no one's fault. Sometimes you don't even think about it and just do it. Thinking while using is something you try to do as much as possible. I know this from experience.
  15. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

I do agree with you. We tend to be more faithful to ourselves than to others. We can overcome addiction by making promises to ourselves.
  16. serenity

@Tremmie, I think it depends on the person, since some people are prone to have an addictive personality. I have tried smoking weed and cigarettes, actually I have smoked both intermittently, and I never got addicted to them. I just consume them when I felt like wasting money, and I'm in the mood to smoke.
  17. Tremmie

@serenity That is actually true, I have an addictive personality and I'm prone to get addicted quite easily, but of course some addictions are worse than others and some of them do make you lose control. Some years ago I was really hooked into pills, I overdosed twice. I lost consciousness for a couple days, after the second time I decided to stop. But before that all I could think of was to just lose myself in them...
  18. serenity

@Tremmie, I'm glad that you have stopped taking pills. Were they a medication for pain prescribed by your doctor?
  19. Tremmie

Thanks :) They were controlled meds (meds for anxiety, depression, etc) I knew I had to stop when I overdosed twice and lost consciousness for 3 days. It was a close call, it was then when I decided to stop cold turkey, and I haven't used since then. I hope I never will, but I take one day at a time :)
  20. serenity

@Tremmie, I'm glad that you are now off them. If you were able to stop cold turkey, then doing just that isn't that hard as others claim to be then. I wish you all the best in your recovery!