An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Friends?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Tremmie, Why don't you go back to your old doctor? Did he pass away already or he moved to another state? Don't be imprisoned by your doctor's orders, go ahead and try homeopathy! I have heard positive reviews about it.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@serenity I'm already trying with homeopathy, but not impressed by it. I wanted to try acupuncture, but it's too late for me... I can't get an appointment until December and I am already moving out so soon... And sadly yes, my old family doctor (who was also my friend) is retired and had a very bad accident right after retirement. He is taken care of by 3 different nurses 24/7. So I can no longer see him, but I call him from time to time to check how he is.
  3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

This reminds me of the song by Beyonce " me, myself, and I". You are totally right that we should be our own very best friends. All I know is that if I am a hot mess, then every relationship in enter into will turn into a hot mess, simply because I haven't gotten myself together.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

It's hard being a friend to your self. Most of the time, we tend to be our own worst enemy. Always reflecting on our flaws and mistakes. Never forgiving ourselves if we do wrong things. I have been that way and most of the time, I still am. Your perspective is really an eye opener. We should be best friends with ourselves, after all, it is only ourselves who we can really depend on in the long run.

If our friends leave us or turn their backs on us, what do we do? If our families and loved ones don't support us anymore, what do we do? Instead of sulking and feeling alone, we have to remember that we still have ourself. As long as we take care of our bodies and mind, and enrich it, we will grow. Even if other people aren't there to support us.
  5. serenity

@Tremmie, I'm sure your doctor won't mind if you ask him a bit regarding his opinion regarding your acupuncture plans in passing while talking to him? Well I hope that after Dec. you are now on a new kind of treatment!
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

@serenity Thing is I can't wait til December ;) I will be moving out on January or February, so no point in starting an acupuncture treatment i won't be able to continue in the new place. Sadly my new family doctor screwed up, she might give me the acupuncture referral, but it's too late. I should have approached this differently since the start.
  7. serenity

@Tremmie, Why, is acupuncture treatment not available in the new place that you will be moving to?
  8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, we need to learn to love ourselves before loving somebody else, because if we don't we're going to try to find our love in that person and can cause dependence, and that's never healthy. We need to start making promises to ourselves for ourselves, because at the end of the day that's all we have.
  9. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@Rainman: I am just like you said, I can do things for my friends that I can't do for myself. I want to work on this, be best friends with my self and love me again.
  10. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Yes we must learn that it's sad but true you can really only rely on yourself. People WILL let you down at some point. They're human, that's just going to happen. You can't rely on others for your happiness.