An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

From Addict to Psychotic

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, May 2, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I know some people who have shifted from being addicts to being permanently psychologically challenged. Most of them have already stopped their addiction but they have developed psychotic symptoms which would suddenly be triggered from time to time. The toxic substances in the drugs and substances might have been the root cause of their psychological problems because those symptoms only came out when they became addicted.

I guess this just goes to show that addiction can lead to different things such as permanent illness and even death. Lucky are those who recognized their problems early and were able to change before it's too late.
  2. tckc

tckc Member

I know some people like this too. Some of them have stopped using, but others have just switched their street drug for a prescription one. :-/

Its a very interesting question, kind of a chicken or egg thing I guess. It would be great if someone knew about some scientific research on the subject.

Your post definitely made me take a moment of gratitude and reflect on the fact that I am still here and mostly intact. Thanks!
    gracer likes this.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Drugs are very dangerous and are prohibited to begin with, so if a person religiously takes them, then it would be no surprise that they can become crazy just by taking it. That's why it is heavily advertised in the media to "just say no to drugs", because if you get hooked on it, then for sure you will destroy your life.
    gracer likes this.
  4. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

If an individual has psychological issues before becoming addicted to drugs, then that addiction can only make things worse, even after a person has recovered from addiction. Many drugs will cause permanent changes to a person's body and mind, especially when pre-existing conditions are present. It's an unfortunate but unsurprising situation that many people have to deal with.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

Being alive and intact is a big thing that we all have to be thankful for. Just this mere fact is enough to make us think twice of ever ruining it through drugs and substances that only gives us temporary pleasure. Life is too precious to waste on addiction. I'm happy for you because you have a strong appreciation with life and its promising aspects. :)
    tckc likes this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have also heard a lot of horrible news about drug addicts having mental disorders due to their excessive addiction to substances. It's really disturbing. I guess that's just one of the many dangerous effects of taking drugs.
    gracer likes this.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

We have to bear in mind that drugs can be the underlying cause of mental illnesses as well as the usual side effects we've all become accustomed to. The chemicals have the ability to savage the nervous system which could lead to serious problems. Unfortunately, not many people are aware of this.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I have no idea if it's a concidence or not, but I'm a former addict who also has mental issues. I suffer from chronic depression, OCD and anxiety. I really think the use of drugs made things worse, since I was little I showed a weird behaviour, it was even worse after being sexually abused, but drugs might have made things get way worse for me :(

I guess I will never know for sure, what I know is that lately my memory is worse than ever. I'm having trouble remembering things from last year... and having the hardest time memorizing things that used to be so easy for me to memorizae. Like for example new words and grammar rules (I'm studying a new language).
  9. gracer

I'm so sorry to hear about what you had to go through since childhood. My heart goes out to you. I guess the most important thing right now is that you're living a new life free from all the experiences of the past. The bad memories will remain and the mental issues may still be there but the good thing about it is that you're fighting them. The fighter in you gives you strength to move on and hope for a brighter future. The best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. :)
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

You are very kind :) Yes, I'm trying my very best to leave my past behind, but for a while my past haunted me. There are some people out there who still remind me of my past when I see them (my oldest half-sister), that is why I have stopped seeing her a long time ago. I decided to cut the negative people out of my life, and ever since my life is happier :) I now love and respect myself enough to do that, before I wouldn't, but now I do :) Thank you very much, wishing you the best luck as well :) May we have an even happier life :)
    gracer likes this.
  11. gracer

Thank you so much Tremmie! :) I'm so happy to hear that you found your self-respect once again. You deserve that and you also deserve to be loved, not just by yourself but by other people as well. Stay happy and enjoy your new life! :)