An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

From beer to wine?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 6up, Mar 2, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Wine is something that is easier on the body but if drank in high quantities it can be just as bad as drinking 10 tequila shots in a night. Your buddy has some serious alcohol problems and he needs to acknowledge that. Replacing a type of drink with another doesn't make you a sober person.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Wine is very mild in general, you need to drink a looooot of it in order to get a bit drunk. I'd be very worried about gaining weight, because wine contains loads of sugar, some wines more than others. Your friend should be well aware of that. Switching vodka for wine is not the solution, actually many of the alcoholics I know started off with beer, then started drinking wine.
  3. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

That's rather strange he would go from being violent on beer to being OK on wine. I wonder if there were some other psychological factors at play, such as perhaps he associates drinking beers with bad experiences out at bars, fighting over some person(s) he may have had feelings for? Or maybe he was chugging beers so quickly he was getting drunk more rapidly off of them vs. wine, which he may have been sipping more slowly instead. Even though wine is stronger, people don't generally chug it like they do with beers. Plus, there are many new beers coming out lately that are as strong as, if not stronger than wine. Four Loco, which is a "malt beverage" is around 14% alcohol, which puts it right up there with your stronger wines.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Wine is actually more alcoholic than beer. And replacing one evil with another always seemed like a bad idea to me. I don't think this could help him quit being an alcoholic. It's admirable that he realized he needs help and tries to quit through it.
  5. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Wine is still alcohol, so if he’s an alcoholic he shouldn’t be drinking alcohol period. I’ve heard many stories of people getting really violent with vodka, so I guess he’s not the only one. I’m not an alcoholic and only drink wine occasionally, maybe once or twice a year and I don’t need more than two cups to start feeling light-headed. Wine can be strong and no one who’s recovering should drink it.
  6. An alcoholic should avoid all forms of alcohol. It's like poison to an alcoholic. A person might feel a different type of high when switching to wine but wine gets you drunk too. I tried switching from beer to wine thinking that it would work out better for me but eventually I was drinking just as much as before. I tried to convince myself that I could continue to drink and control it since it wasn't beer, but my problem was that I like the high so avoiding it altogether is the best route to take.
  7. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

I agree with this. An alcoholic may tell himself it's better to substitute one type of alcohol for another but it's just a form of self delusion, a bit like a smoker telling himself he will 'cut back'. It doesn't work because the only way they will get better is to stop completely.
    Diane Cervantes likes this.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I guess I have to agree to most of the people here. Wine is still alcohol. Replacing beer with wine does not mean that a person is not alcoholic. It's like voting for a lesser corrupt politician because you have no other choice. The outcome would still the same. (Sorry for my bad analogy.)
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Someone like that should get completely clean. It's just replacing hard alcohol for not so hard alcohol. That's still a problem because they feel like they need to get drunk.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Replacing one addiction with another isn't going to help, and even though one might not affect them as badly as the other, at the end of the day it's still a dependancy. Getting clean altogether is obviously the answer but for some can be too difficult.

Cutting down and knowing your limits is the best way to deal with people who can't stop completely, and instead of looking for alternatives then cutting back on your usual will help.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

As been mentioned before all the drinks you motioned before contain alcohol. The percentage is different, so the effects will take longer or less time to manifest. All alcoholic drinks have the amount of alcohol that it contains printed on the bottle. Distilled liquor has the highest amount of alcohol, while fermented drinks tend to have less. People that are used to drinking heavy liquor, will find that drinking wine is like drinking water.
    I don´t think that people that normally drink vodka or gin will feel that the void left behind will be filled with wine.